I need new lights for my garage. What do you have, and what should I get?

/ I need new lights for my garage. What do you have, and what should I get? #31  
I bought 6 of these from Northern Tool for temporary lighting and to see how well they worked.

View attachment 541898 They are $30 each, 4400 lumen and simply screw in to a normal "porcelain" base. I think I will be using these when it comes around to the permanent lighting. I have them over 1 "bay" that's 38'x20' and it lights it very well, especially considering the low cost.

Rusty, I picked one of those up at NT for trial yesterday. If it works out I’ll get three more of them for side bays in my shop.

Here’s a link for anyone interested.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200679033_200679033

I seem to recall them being on sale for $24.99 a few months ago.

/ I need new lights for my garage. What do you have, and what should I get? #32  
Can you give a link to what fixtures your using?

Thanks!

I don't know the specific brand. They are standard commercial grade 8' naked bulb fixtures from the local electrical supply house. Each uses 4 4' T8 bulbs. They are 14' off the ground.

I measured the output tonight while feeding and cleaning stalls. It varies from 85 foot candles at the ends of the aisle to 140 foot candles in the middle. I cannot tell that much difference. I used the same fixtures in the garage on 9' ceilings and got from 65 - 120 foot candles.

/ I need new lights for my garage. What do you have, and what should I get? #33  
   / I need new lights for my garage. What do you have, and what should I get? #34  
Depending on what you plan on doing it in the garage. If it is just parking and storage you might get by with those lights, each one would be covering a 20'X20' area. If you plan on doing any work I think you might be disappointed. I have 8 8' fluorescent fixtures in my 36'X48' stables. Each fixture has 4 T8 bulbs and covers an 12'X18' area.

View attachment 541781

That looks great Randy. Kind of looks empty too. Do you need more horses? I have too many!!!

/ I need new lights for my garage. What do you have, and what should I get? #35  
That looks great Randy. Kind of looks empty too. Do you need more horses? I have too many!!!

Thanks for the kind remarks, no thanks to another horse. We have too many as well.

/ I need new lights for my garage. What do you have, and what should I get?
Eddie,

You earlier expressed interest in the 16 foot top plate and 14 foot door for my motor home. That door is the one at the very left of the photo.