Pine Mulch

/ Pine Mulch #1  

Gerald

Bronze Member
Tractor
L3830HST & L3010HST
I just sold all the pine timber off 20 or so acres. That left 80 stumps in the front yard. Today they are grinding the stumps. What to do with all the mulch? I was thinking of spreading it out on the yard, wonder how long it would be before grass would grow there? Making a pile of it would be unreal, a mountain. Trees were about 50 years old. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Gerald

/ Pine Mulch #2  
How fast will the termites eat the mulch?

Are you replanting pine?

/ Pine Mulch
Beenthere,I don't know about termites. "Plant more pines", Not after seeing what pine trees do in an ice storm like we had this winter! I guess I am making work for myself. I want the yard so I can mow it. The back 15 or so acres are going to be my career for the next year or two. What a mess logging makes. Some of the trees were so big the mill sent them back! Been looking at a nice used D4 cat at the dealer down the road, this is going to fun!
Gerald

/ Pine Mulch #4  
<font color="blue"> Some of the trees were so big the mill sent them back! </font>

Huh /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Is it a small local mill ??? Large diameter timber is a rare item these days. Think wide pine boards for colonial restoration work $$$$$$$$ /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Pine Mulch
tc35dforme, This part of georgia is where they do pines. The people that do it for a living do not let them get as old as these pines were. So many knots, what they call canker spots, "cat faces". They had to cut that part out of the trees they took. I have a mountain of logs larger than 28" and full of what we call "fat lightered". There should be something they could do with it.
I will do something with it when I rent or buy a D4 Cat.
Big hole, big fire, cover it up, plant grass.
I can't wait to play with a D4 Cat. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Gerald

/ Pine Mulch #6  
Wish I lived closer, I operate a mill and would be glad to have em!
Would pay you too!
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifBuy a small bandmill and make a few thousand..... LOL
Don

/ Pine Mulch #7  
Even a chainsaw mill.. or an old style buzzsaw pto attatchment.

Soundguy

/ Pine Mulch #8  
Forestry Forum

Heart Pine and other "defect" laden trees with Cat faces, Crotchwood, etc. can be valuable in the proper market. I'd find a portable sawmill guy to mill it. Some of it is likely to be worth some money and if not you'll still have a whole bunch of boards to use for barns or whatever.

Before I burned anything I'd try and find a secondary market for it. I'd rather have a little money than a big burn pile. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Pine Mulch #9  
A picture of a very simple chainsaw mill I built. It takes time but does produce a reasonable product.

Egon

Last edited:
   / Pine Mulch #10  
How long are the logs?
Companies that build log home kits are always looking for trees that can be cut into solid beams. While they aren't as strong as engineered beams, they do looks better, which is what a lot of people want.