1000 ft water line

/ 1000 ft water line #1  

Tigershark

Silver Member
Tractor
KIOTI NX5510 Cab HST with Backhoe
I have to put in a 1000 ft water line at our farm, I have been using a Vermeer ride of trencher and it does well but I am consistently hitting rock anywhere from 24-30 inches. Would a mini excavator do a better job over going through the rock or pulling it up? I believe most of it is sandstone. What other options should I consider? This is for a garden on our farm and to water around 75 trees we planted in the fall. I wouldn't need it during the winter but would like to get it down to 3 ft if possible, We might build in 5 years so we could potentially come off this line for the house it would be another 900 ft away. Was planning on running 2 inch pvc. I haven't used an excavator before and didn't know if they had the power to dig up the rock. Open to suggestions, tried digging 6 test trenches this evening over a 30 ft area and kept hitting rock.

/ 1000 ft water line #2  
In your area I would think a hoe would be the only way to go!--Running them is not hard, just concentrate on what your doing and all will be good!! thanks; sonny580

/ 1000 ft water line #3  
Yes to a mini excavator- that will be the perfect opportunity to learn. Trenchers are a PTIA if the soil isn’t just right.

I’m not sure of your climate but water lines are typically 1’ below the frost line- no need to go beyond that.

2” pvc is good for future needs- maybe even overkill. 2” pipe would be more than a house with fire sprinklers would have- so it depends on your yard/farm needs. Schedule 40 PVC would be a minimum. If you are going that deep and are willing to “do it right” look into a roll of HDPE pipe. A real pain in that size but you would have zero worries where PVC may have a very slight worry....and at that depth it’s hard to find and fix leaks. Either are fine- but the HDPE is what the utility would run.

/ 1000 ft water line #4  
For just a waterline and you already have it there should be "rock teeth" available for the trencher...you only need every other tooth to be carbide tipped to get though many rocky conditions...

/ 1000 ft water line #5  
I have to put in a 1000 ft water line at our farm, I have been using a Vermeer ride of trencher and it does well but I am consistently hitting rock anywhere from 24-30 inches. Would a mini excavator do a better job over going through the rock or pulling it up? I believe most of it is sandstone. What other options should I consider? This is for a garden on our farm and to water around 75 trees we planted in the fall. I wouldn't need it during the winter but would like to get it down to 3 ft if possible, We might build in 5 years so we could potentially come off this line for the house it would be another 900 ft away. Was planning on running 2 inch pvc. I haven't used an excavator before and didn't know if they had the power to dig up the rock. Open to suggestions, tried digging 6 test trenches this evening over a 30 ft area and kept hitting rock.

I say mini-ex for the reasons stated. You could also use this opportunity as an excuse, umm I mean reason for buying one for your stable.

/ 1000 ft water line
I'm thinking it might be best to bite the bullet and rent the mini with the hoe ram and just do it right the first time
Welcome to Arts Rental!

What are your thoughts on this one ? I figure its a couple day job , I think if I did an excavator I would have to clean up all the rock that I pull out of the ground which would be a major pain. Am I going in the right direction ?

/ 1000 ft water line
The trencher is borrowed from a friend so I can't change out the teeth

/ 1000 ft water line
I have briefly looked into the HDE pipe I will keep researching it , I know the price is double but it might have more benefits that make it worth it

/ 1000 ft water line #9  
I have briefly looked into the HDE pipe I will keep researching it , I know the price is double but it might have more benefits that make it worth it

The cost of the pipe is rarely the deciding factor with underground work. I’d be more inclined to go PVC at 12-24”. Below that you could play heck trying to find a little leak.

/ 1000 ft water line #10  
The trencher is borrowed from a friend so I can't change out the teeth

A trencher is going to be faster and easier then anything else. Since your friend owns the trencher, he should be very pleased if you go to the dealer and buy the correct teeth for what you dealing with.