What kind of paint sprayer

/ What kind of paint sprayer #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Wife bought some kitchen cabinets that we had to assemble. (that part is done)

Wants to paint them. I thought spraying them would work best (right?)

I have a 20 gallon compressor. We sprayed some cabinets a couple years ago and it worked nice however, the plume of spray in the air was pretty large.

In addition to the compressor, I have a siphon sprayer, if I had to guess, it's a Campbell Hausfield brand (at least, it came with the compressor as part of the attachments)

I was thinking that it might make sense to get a smaller sprayer, something that would put out a smaller cloud of paint, be more localized. I don't know the real world differences of why someone would use a gravity verses siphon type.

So, thought I'd ask here.

I do not mind buying another, especially if it would work better than the (quart sized) version I already have.

We can make a little paint 'booth' outdoors like last time and I have maybe 100' of hose so I can get it away from the house.

What say you.... what type of sprayer would you use (presuming it would be considered better than painting by hand)

Thanks!!

/ What kind of paint sprayer #2  
I’ve had excellent results with my Graco airless spray outfit.
That being said, an airless pump, hose, and gun is not an inexpensive investment and requires a very ‘deft’ touch by the operator. Airless handles heavier latex and oil based enamel very well. Next up would be a gravity feed gun with an adequate air compressor. Gravity feed guns are awkward to handle as in spraying cabinet interiors but with thinning the material it will apply very well but will usually require multiple coats to achieve full coverage. I use an HVLP cup gun and turbine for clear and colored lacquers.
Hope this helpes.
B. John.

/ What kind of paint sprayer
I forgot to mention (now that you bring it up) I also already own an airless sprayer (stained our log home with it)

Could I use a differrent attachment for it? (same attachment?)

I would think for kitchen cabinets, you'd want it to go on thinner than I recall the stain going on.

Still.... if it helps the equation.... I own the airless sprayer and also, an air compressor.

/ What kind of paint sprayer #4  
I’d stay away from an airless to do cabinets. You need HVLP automotive type sprayer made for the type of paint you plan to use.

Any benefit of a gravity feed verses siphon?

(should I just use what I already have??)

I DO like the idea of something more controlled with a smaller cloud of paint. Seems it won't waste as much and it feels like you could do a more detailed job (I'm thinking it would be easier to get into nooks/crannys)

/ What kind of paint sprayer #6  
I do tons of remodels, and all I use for cabinetry is airless rigs. You just have to understand your machine and tip size. Some of the entry machines do not hold up to laquer, so that might be a factory depending on your choice of materials. I highly recomend a "whip" and a swivel. This allows you to get into cabinets and rotate your spray. The next thing is tip size. Make sure and understand this!! Most diy/homeowners try and shoot what came with their rig, you might look into FFT or fine finish tips. These are putting out a fraction of what the larger tips come with, but only work on strained lacquers and maybe some oils. Here is a quick explanation of tip choice:
Airless Paint Sprayer Tip Sizing, find the right size tip
Good luck, Dave

/ What kind of paint sprayer #7  
I own all three types mentioned (compressr,airless and HVLP) and highly recommend HVLP as the easiest to use for fine finishing. The cloud of overspray is non-existant. I paid around $350 new and very satisfied spraying woodwork,lawn furniture,trailer,car and a garden tractor.

/ What kind of paint sprayer #8  
I’d stay away from an airless to do cabinets. You need HVLP automotive type sprayer made for the type of paint you plan to use.

That's what worked for me and one of the best HVLP sprayers for the money comes from Harbor Freight. Around $45 and you need water filters on the air.

Since I don't know if HVLP means by definition gravity feed or siphon.... can someone clarify which is better?

Gravity or siphon??

I appreciate the thoughts. Seems painting the cabinets has now taken a bit of a rear seat as over the last 2-days, the wife has decided she wanted to redo some parts of the kitchen.

Sigh...