Pole Barn VS Red Steel building - Need some more advice

/ Pole Barn VS Red Steel building - Need some more advice
So on the 2 build quotes i got, pole barns of the 3000sqft size were roughly 30K in labor. As noted, my neighbor who builds steel buildings was saying 15 to 20K for labor (that would be at cost).

/ Pole Barn VS Red Steel building - Need some more advice #83  
So on the 2 build quotes i got, pole barns of the 3000sqft size were roughly 30K in labor. As noted, my neighbor who builds steel buildings was saying 15 to 20K for labor (that would be at cost).

That sounds like an offer you can't refuse. Again, I have both all-metal and timber/lumber/metal buildings and I like both. Both are engineered for 6' snow load and each type has its positives and its negatives. If he builds all-metal and has the time and skill you can order a kit and have him build it. I built both of mine - only 9' sidewalls but the principal is the same and it was not difficult.

using boom on shop E.jpg

/ Pole Barn VS Red Steel building - Need some more advice #84  
Eddie... 80k is Just insane or I'm out of touch.

The Pacific Northwest is undergoing a huge building boom... influx of people from other states has not let up.

If and it is a big if... I was going to spend that kind of money... it would be a once in a lifetime event or adding concrete walls with a concrete dick or metal construction... anything to make it permanent...

My issue is everything there was new in 2005

/ Pole Barn VS Red Steel building - Need some more advice #85  
I agree, that's a crazy amount given to you by somebody that doesn't want the work, but will do it if you are that desperate. I give out high bids when I'm busy and I don't really want the work, or want to work for the client. With all the taxation and regulations in Washington, I'm curious why anybody would want to move there? From everything I've read and been told by friends who live there, it's gotten worse then CA.

/ Pole Barn VS Red Steel building - Need some more advice #86  
In "Some" ways Western Washington is like the SF Bay Area North...

The one big difference is no personal State Income Tax.

Property Tax and Sales tax very similar and regulations keep expanding.

That said the scenery is quite amazing around the Sound and National Parks...

/ Pole Barn VS Red Steel building - Need some more advice #87  
I gave a crazy high price for tilling a garden years ago and it backfired.... he said "come on over, I like watching John Deere equipment working". It was a 30 mile round trip for me. I did that garden every spring for 15 years.

/ Pole Barn VS Red Steel building - Need some more advice
I was about to say, As with Ultra, I split my time between LA and WA. CA is more expensive....

In CA we have much higher insurance and licensing for vehicles.
We have higher taxes than WA. Sales is the same, but we get state income tax in CA, can't really tell on property tax.
I think Seattle is the most expensive place to buy a house in the US right now? But LA is a pretty close second or third.

You can get a gun easier in WA.

CA is hard on certain businesses (certain unclean manufacturing primarily) but clearly its a minority, many businesses thrive in this political / economic environment Actually a ton of businesses do well, as does agriculture. Its fun to go after the west coast but boy is it booming out here. As for rules and regulations, CA definitly sets its sights on quality of life over profit if you look at it on paper. Regulations are steep, but oddly like I said businesses really do well with the regulations. Sure there is complaining but it is not enough to change the rules. As for Oregon and WA, they tend to folllow CA regulations extremely closely.

/ Pole Barn VS Red Steel building - Need some more advice #89  
As for rules and regulations, CA definitly sets its sights on quality of life over profit if you look at it on paper. Regulations are steep, but oddly like I said businesses really do well with the regulations. Sure there is complaining but it is not enough to change the rules.

I gave up trying to influence or change the rules. I packed up, liquidated properties and assets, and moved across the border into Nevada. Been a good decision. To my surprise, the building department here has been very friendly and helpful during my garage construction. Definitely not what you typically hear about those agencies.

/ Pole Barn VS Red Steel building - Need some more advice #90  
I gave up trying to influence or change the rules. I packed up, liquidated properties and assets, and moved across the border into Nevada. Been a good decision. To my surprise, the building department here has been very friendly and helpful during my garage construction. Definitely not what you typically hear about those agencies.

I can see this being my reality more and more... the level of what an average person has to do has expanded exponentially... especially if a business is involved.

As for good deals... never found one in California... sure, I have trades that do a good job and treat me fairly... but can't remember when something came across as being a bargain.

In Washington State I have met a few that blow me away with how reasonable the charges are... a window guy that was reasonable I found extra work for him... also had a gravel guy that couldn't have been nicer... 5 yards delivered and spread with receipt/tax $105 a load... here I pay $70 a load IF I pick it up with my trailer...

Lately... any WA construction... has been just as high as Bay Area...