Build or Buy Skid Steer, wide or narrow?

/ Build or Buy Skid Steer, wide or narrow? #1  

nimblemotors

Silver Member
Tractor
Case 530 CK Sold, Ford Ranger DIY Project
Hello, been a while since I've been on here.
I've got 1/4 acre I need to clean up and level out and spread gravel.
I also have another 1/3 acre that isn't flat at all and need to move a lot of dirt around to level it.
And then I need to move 15 gallon trees around loading them onto trailers, etc.

I was looking into buying a used skidsteer, but I am putoff by the cost. $10k just isn't in the cards for this,
but I have found some that need work, either engines or hydraulics, that I can fix. Saw one today for $3500 that has hydraulic problem.

Or I am thinking I can build a machine from scratch, as I have lots of experience fabricating stuff and have
lots of car and truck parts I can utilize.

I did a search and didn't find a whole lot on building a skidsteer from scratch.

Any advice? One question I have is whether making one narrow is a big advantage? The commercial units all seem to be fairly narrow compared
to a 'tractor' FEL/Backhoe. If I use some truck parts, like the rear axle, they are pretty wide in comparison. I have no need to fix through narrow passageways
to get into a backyard, so wondering if there is other advantage to narrow design?

/ Build or Buy Skid Steer, wide or narrow? #2  
I doubt you can build a skid steer for less than buying one. Another aspect to look at the money to build one is mostly not recoupable. Assuming no major break downs you can get most of your money back on a used machine. I wouldn't want a overly wide skid steer otherwise using already exiting implements will be a pain.

/ Build or Buy Skid Steer, wide or narrow? #3  
I have operated many machines over the years, and after a Pelican sweeper, the skid steer is the most uncomfortable, hard to see out of, depressing machine I have ever seen. If you have the parts, you would be far better off building a small articulated loader. Just factor in the size of the trailer to haul it, when you decide the axle width.

/ Build or Buy Skid Steer, wide or narrow?
yeah, if i buy a broken used one and fix it, then i have value in it and can sell it for more than it costs.
But i do enjoy an engineering challenge, particularly how to do something cheap. ;)
I can appreciate the crampness of a skidsteer, but also the danger in working on a steep lot, so I have thought of making it remotely controlled,
so you operate it from a lawn chair at a safe place, I have lots of experience with electronics and r/c. This would mean a diy build.

i was thinking of taking a 2door ford explorer 4wd and remove the body, have it operate with the loader in the back, so it would be rear-steer,
but could also do skid, and put tracks that tie front and rear wheels.

/ Build or Buy Skid Steer, wide or narrow? #5  
FWIW...Most skid steers rely on their extreme weight and low center of gravity for stability...even the smaller machines weigh at least 4 tons...

FWIW...Most skid steers rely on their extreme weight and low center of gravity for stability...even the smaller machines weigh at least 4 tons...

the mustang 930a is 4000lbs, that is 2 ton, not 4 ton. bobcat 553 is 3700 lbs. ford explorer is 4200, but yeah dont want to keep exp suspension

/ Build or Buy Skid Steer, wide or narrow? #7  
the mustang 930a is 4000lbs, that is 2 ton, not 4 ton. bobcat 553 is 3700 lbs. ford explorer is 4200, but yeah dont want to keep exp suspension
Granted they are lighter machines but they are also limited in payload capacities which may be entirely acceptable for your needs...our little jd 270 weighs 8500#'s
how many hours would you estimate it would take to fab including all the R/C servos and linkages etc...?

I want my normal car trailer to be able to haul this, so it can't really weigh more than 5,000 lbs. the 553 is a small machine, think it has 500lb load limit, guy has one
with bad engine i might fix.

i have no idea how long it would take, i built a 1/4 yard concrete mixer from forklift, winch, 55gallon barrels, it took me a few weeks, about 3 times longer than i thought,
and it needs fixing now after 10 yards of work done with it.

/ Build or Buy Skid Steer, wide or narrow? #9  
few things are as rewarding as building your own power machines that save labor and make tasks easier...
good luck and keep the thread updated regardless of the way you go...

/ Build or Buy Skid Steer, wide or narrow? #10  
Rent. You’re talking barely half an acre. Why on earth would you go thru the hassle for something that can be done in a day or two if you’re very slow.

Even if it was 5acres I think anything you build would still be way more trouble than it was worth and not to accuse you of hobbling things together but not many people would want a explorer skid steer contraption. You’d be the only one that knew how it worked and would get penny’s on the dollar to what you had in it

Brett