Building a gun range and berm/backstop

/ Building a gun range and berm/backstop #1  

donaldj

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deere X500, LS XR3135
Hi all!

I have 13 acres, and am planning on converting about 0.5 acres into a shorter range gun range.

I've identified my requirements as:
  • Need to create a berm 8-10 feet high.
  • Berm will be in an L shape (to reduce noise in the neighbor's direction).
  • Main backstop area will be 20-30 feet long. Prefer closer to 30.
  • L will be about 10 feet long.
  • Berm material will come from nearby ground.
  • Ground will need to be flattened.
  • Berm and ground will be seeded with grass.
  • Range length will be 50 yards max.
  • Small pine trees planted atop berm to further reduce noise/ line of sight.

My resources available are:
  • LS XR3135H tractor.
  • Front loader bucket.
  • Front loader pallet forks.
  • Rotary cutters.
  • Rear blade.
  • Box scraper.
  • Subsoiler.
  • Landscaping rake.
  • Labor: I have a couple friends that can help.
  • Time: I have all spring/summer/fall.

My initial thoughts are to use the box scraper (with scarifiers fully extended) or the subsoiler to break up the ground, then use the front bucket or the rear blade to drag dirt to the berm area. Repeat as necessary to get the needed amount of dirt for the berm.

Then use the FEL bucket to pile the dirt up high, then seed it next year after it's settled a bit.

In the mean time, use the box scraper to level the field area and finish with the landscaping rake. Seed it.

Thoughts?
Advice?

/ Building a gun range and berm/backstop #2  
Hi all!

I have 13 acres, and am planning on converting about 0.5 acres into a shorter range gun range.

I've identified my requirements as:
  • Need to create a berm 8-10 feet high.
  • Berm will be in an L shape (to reduce noise in the neighbor's direction).
  • Main backstop area will be 20-30 feet long. Prefer closer to 30.
  • L will be about 10 feet long.
  • Berm material will come from nearby ground.
  • Ground will need to be flattened.
  • Berm and ground will be seeded with grass.
  • Range length will be 50 yards max.
  • Small pine trees planted atop berm to further reduce noise/ line of sight.

My resources available are:
  • LS XR3135H tractor.
  • Front loader bucket.
  • Front loader pallet forks.
  • Rotary cutters.
  • Rear blade.
  • Box scraper.
  • Subsoiler.
  • Landscaping rake.
  • Labor: I have a couple friends that can help.
  • Time: I have all spring/summer/fall.

My initial thoughts are to use the box scraper (with scarifiers fully extended) or the subsoiler to break up the ground, then use the front bucket or the rear blade to drag dirt to the berm area. Repeat as necessary to get the needed amount of dirt for the berm.

Then use the FEL bucket to pile the dirt up high, then seed it next year after it's settled a bit.

In the mean time, use the box scraper to level the field area and finish with the landscaping rake. Seed it.

Thoughts?
Advice?

Sounds like you have a plan and have allowed for the time to do it.
One thing to keep in mind is drainage from rain. You want the area your walking and standing in to be a bit higher perhaps. At least make sure your berms as situated to allow for drainage and not create a water holding problem.

/ Building a gun range and berm/backstop #3  
Sounds like around 100 Cubic yards (5-8 dump truck loads) at a min (20 ft long x 8 ft tall x 8 ft thick). Probably closer to 300 CY when all said and done (15-20 dump truck loads).

Nothing wrong with your plan, but a Lot of dirt to move. You could probably half the dirt if you use rail road cross ties to form a vertical wall; otherwise 8 ft tall, up, is going to be around 16 ft wide at the base.

/ Building a gun range and berm/backstop #4  
8 ft tall berm would be nice but, 4 ft tall behind a 4 ft pit would be the same total berm with 50% the dirt moving, depending on theyour lay out ect.

/ Building a gun range and berm/backstop #5  
8 ft tall berm would be nice but, 4 ft tall behind a 4 ft pit would be the same total berm with 50% the dirt moving, depending on theyour lay out ect.

Ditto, if you do not have a water problem, just trench down at an angle. That also gives you some side protection if you berm a little on the right/left bank. That can be done with just your FEL bucket. Remember to keep you targets/gongs close to the base of the berm.

/ Building a gun range and berm/backstop #6  
With 15 acres of land I’d put the berm in a corner or edge of the property. No doubt you will want to reach out more than 50 yards- if for nothing else than some testing or sighting in a rifle or ten.

/ Building a gun range and berm/backstop #7  
I used a berm calculator minengr.com Tools -- Berm Volume Estimation and estimated the volume of 2 different size berms.

* 40 ft of length, 10 ft high, 2 ft top width and 2:1 side slope is 505 cubic yards.

* 30 ft length, 8 ft high, 2 ft top width and 2:1 side slope is 255 yards.
That's a lot of dirt for a compact tractor....approx. 800+ and 400+ buckets respectively at .6 yards FEL bucket.

/ Building a gun range and berm/backstop #8  
A proper box scraper typically moves more dirt than a bucket. The scale is big for a little machine. It’s something a dozer would have done in a day.

The cost of DYI vs hiring it done (or just roughed in) should be done. Maybe this project justifies hydraulic top or top and tilt:)

/ Building a gun range and berm/backstop #9  
I have moved a lot of dirt with my tractor and I have come to the conclusion that if you have that much dirt to move rent yourself a bobcat or equivalent and save yourself hours of work. I have moved 15 triaxles loads and while it can be done there are faster ways unless you have unlimited hours

/ Building a gun range and berm/backstop
Thanks for the replies all!

Re: berm+pit
Probably not likely in this location, but I'll look and see.

Re: drainage
Yeah, I've thought about putting a drain in at the base before I start building the berm up. I think I'll look at trenching out an area as step 1... Thanks for the suggestion.

Re: Corner or edge
Agreed. It is at a corner of the property, and if I ever clear out the undergrowth behind this area, I can have up to 100 yards range (roughly). My only minor worry is noise at the shooting location. I teach self defense and handgun, so at least initially, I want the noise closer to the berm and it can be directed away from neighbors a bit.

Re: Berm calculator
This is awesome. I agree it's a huge job. As an aside, I might be trading a guy CPL instruction for some dozer time. He does this for a living so it might turn out very well. If I can get him shoving dirt towards the berm and me piling it up, it might be a day long task. I didnt want to mention that because this is only a remote possibility at this time.

I agree this is a fairly massive job for a 3000 series tractor. Luckily I have time.

Re: Box scraper
Yeah, I haven't moved a ton of earth with the tractor yet so know there'll be some experimentation going on for getting dirt to the berm area. I appreciate the idea of using the scraper to do so. I'll try that. It would certainly save time (using scraper to break up ground then FEL to move it, vs just break and move simultaneously.