Spray Paint Cans - Cleaning after use

/ Spray Paint Cans - Cleaning after use #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
How do you get more than one use out of the new any-angle spray cans? Use to be you could turn them upside down and clear the nozzle and they would be good for months of storage. After finding several of nearly full cans of paint and primer unusable I actually read the instructions which apparently the manufacture has not actually tried. "Clean nozzle with mineral spirts," after submersing the nozzle and the cans outlet tube in mineral spirits immediately after use for 24-hours and than hitting them with compressed air they were still clogged and unusable. At $5 a pop this really irritates me as I rarely need a full can for rust prevention or touchups.

/ Spray Paint Cans - Cleaning after use #2  
I've never thought wasting propellant was a good idea. You can't know how many times you'll have to clear the nozzle. Probably too many times. They don't work well when you have paint but no pressure.

I pull the nozzle off and spray thru it with carburetor cleaner. Works like a charm. I use the little red tube and press it against the outlet orifice, spraying backwards thru the nozzle. And forward too. There is some risk in squirting yourself, or in your eyes. You can even clean out old plugged tips with carburetor cleaner. Soak it for awhile.

/ Spray Paint Cans - Cleaning after use #3  
I pull the nozzle off and spray thru it with carburetor cleaner. Works like a charm. I use the little red tube and press it against the outlet orifice, spraying backwards thru the nozzle. And forward too. There is some risk in squirting yourself, or in your eyes. You can even clean out old plugged tips with carburetor cleaner. Soak it for awhile.
I do that sometimes especially if I know it will be awhile before I squeeze the trigger again. Also if you invest in a cheap ultrasonic cleaner, you can do wonders, whether it be small parts, jewelry, or dentures! Okay, I take the dentures back... no experience here.

2.5 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner

/ Spray Paint Cans - Cleaning after use #4  
How do you get more than one use out of the new any-angle spray cans? Use to be you could turn them upside down and clear the nozzle and they would be good for months of storage. After finding several of nearly full cans of paint and primer unusable I actually read the instructions which apparently the manufacture has not actually tried. "Clean nozzle with mineral spirts," after submersing the nozzle and the cans outlet tube in mineral spirits immediately after use for 24-hours and than hitting them with compressed air they were still clogged and unusable. At $5 a pop this really irritates me as I rarely need a full can for rust prevention or touchups.

That is what I have been doing for about 15 years. I didn't know there were instructions. I drop the tip into a cup of mineral spirits and leave it in the parts washtub for an hour, a day or a month and blow-dry it with compressed air.

/ Spray Paint Cans - Cleaning after use #5  
Mineral spirits won't do it, I have a small glass spice jar that has lacquer thinner to store rattle can nozzles in. You can shake them and see the paint come out. Keeping them in thinner means that they never dry up and are ready for the next use.

/ Spray Paint Cans - Cleaning after use #6  
Mineral spirits won't do it, I have a small glass spice jar that has lacquer thinner to store rattle can nozzles in. You can shake them and see the paint come out. Keeping them in thinner means that they never dry up and are ready for the next use.

Yup!
Lacquer thinner......not mineral spirits.

/ Spray Paint Cans - Cleaning after use #7  
Good thread. I even had a can of WD-4 with some in it that wouldn't work.

Ralph

/ Spray Paint Cans - Cleaning after use #8  

Oh come on now, Don't BS us. I have been doing it for 15 years, It works!

/ Spray Paint Cans - Cleaning after use #9  
I tried mineral spirits at first, but it just looked like the paint curdled. I'd speculate that the reason it works for you is that they are submerged in liquid until you blow them out with compressed air, thereby denying them the air that's needed for the paint to dry.
At any rate, if you find a solution that works, no need to change it.

/ Spray Paint Cans - Cleaning after use #10  
Put the little straw in the nozzle of a can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner, and use it to hose down the paint can nozzle.

Non -chlorinated brake cleaner is basically cheap lacquer thinner. It should remove any residue. You can remove the paint can nozzle, and blow it out with the brake cleaner too, if you like.

You are right, most cans now spray upside down, so you can't clear the internal tube, by spraying them upside down anymore. :confused3: