Critique my shop design

/ Critique my shop design #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
So I am on a second round of quotes for his design, but wanted to get some insight from anyone who cares to give an opinion. Its a basic overview, and a layout of floor plans as we..

On this page I have the basic layout, It is a modern style buidling, 45X68 18 foot to the eaves. 2 bay doors. The far end will only be windows, with the plan to put in a second floor in the third bay and enclsoe it, making a wood shop on the bottom floor, and my office and storage / work room upstairs.

Not sure what to describe on this that isn't on the paper. I am jamming this into a place next to the existing house and carport. I plan to intigrate the carport next door, probably making it a dedicated parking garage or metal shop.

Attachments

• CARLS SHOP MAR 30 18.pdf
    7.8 MB · Views: 244
   / Critique my shop design
Now this is the fun part, layout. I inherited a large woodshop so all of these tools I currently have. I need to build a few things but this is the idea for the wood shop side. The car shop side I am still working out and would love more guidance. I guess the need for it to be fllexible and go from automotive to metal work makes this side complicated.

Attachments

• Shop Floor Equipment layout.pdf
    196.9 KB · Views: 123
   / Critique my shop design #3  
Your shop is nearly the same size as the one I've designed, although mine is for snow machine storage, and maintenance. How I came up with the design is by asking other folks who do the same job and ask them "how do you like your shed? What would you do different?" and heard all kinds of good suggestions. I'll try attaching a print of my floor plan here in a bit. My building goal is of course different than yours, but it still might be helpful.

/ Critique my shop design #4  
With 45 foot span, you will probably have a joint in the roofing (I'm assuming metal roof). 2 in 12 slope you will need a really good overlap and seal. Any reason not to use conventional peaked trusses and roof with continuous sheets of metal?

/ Critique my shop design #5  
Here is the floor plans of the shop I drew up. This simple photo misses many details. Carl, Its hard to switch from mechanical repairs to welding, in the same bay. What machines or implements, will you have in the bays?

Attachments

• shop concept floor plans.jpg
    shop concept floor plans.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
   / Critique my shop design #6  
So I am on a second round of quotes for his design, but wanted to get some insight from anyone who cares to give an opinion. Its a basic overview, and a layout of floor plans as we..

On this page I have the basic layout, It is a modern style buidling, 45X68 18 foot to the eaves. 2 bay doors. The far end will only be windows, with the plan to put in a second floor in the third bay and enclsoe it, making a wood shop on the bottom floor, and my office and storage / work room upstairs.

Not sure what to describe on this that isn't on the paper. I am jamming this into a place next to the existing house and carport. I plan to intigrate the carport next door, probably making it a dedicated parking garage or metal shop.

on the wood shop, and the miter saw, one suggestion, would be to set the saw out on the edge of the bench and possibly make an inset in the bench to make the cutting surface of the saw the saem as the bench, even to the point of making pull outs to support the lumber to be cut, on the front edge of the bench, (I have yet to see a bench that does not get things set on it, (even you bench tools could be in the way), the bench tools usually do not deal with long pieces, but you miter saw I alfelt one should have at least 16 foot on each side, and if you can not reach that goal, put i in line with a door or window, way, so you can,,

/ Critique my shop design
Arly, there is another thread I started on what would you do different on your shop.

Kenny, great info. I have been having mixed results with contractors, some refuse to do more than 40 and some do not. Not one consitent rational.

BHD, Yeah, I have been seeing those chop saw tables and that is what this is hopefully going to become. I wanted to repurpose that bench for not only chop saw but for the band saw as well..

/ Critique my shop design #8  
why not keep the compressor and dust collection in only one lean-to? building two of them seems like one to many.

I'd suggest about 2 more welding outlets then you think you need in a shop that size. I only have one for 850 sqft and I've been at the end of a 50' welding extension cord more then once.

your going to want to start thinking about compressed air distribution. I have a detailed review of the rapid air system I used in one of my threads.

/ Critique my shop design #9  
Any thought to a dual pitch truss roof? Something like a 3/12 for most of run and shorter 6/12 or 8/12 in front on short pitch? It wold drop the front scale down a little and allow you a 3/12 on longer run for better water runoff. Might be a consideration aesthetically too.

The manufacturers I looked for metal roofs recommended 3/12 pitch minimum. Personally I wouldn't go less than that in any event. But I can see on a shed roof that long why you want to keep it low as possible.

In any event, nice size building, post pix when you start!

/ Critique my shop design #10  
We thought we'd have the potable water heater, close or in the same room as the bathroom. Then have the air compressor on that rooms roof which is on the wall with the work area. Keeping air and water lines as short as possible. For welder power outlets, have than on the same wall as the work area which is 45ft long.