Pumpkins

/ Pumpkins #1  

CMV

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST (previous LS XJ2025H, JD 500C)
So we got a conditional (temporary) farm exemption. Here in NC, that's good for 3 yrs, but then you have to show $10k in farm income and get a permanent one - the conditional expires after 3 yrs and you can't get another. Was joking with the wife when it arrived that will have to get whatever we think we want in next 3 yrs because there's no way we're going to generate $10k farm income.

She took that as a challenge and said "That's ONLY 2,000 pumpkins. If I grow 2,000 pumpkins and sell them for $5 each at the farmer's market, that's $10k." And she sort of latched on to that idea - asking me where on our land she can start planting pumpkins, how many at once would fit in the truck or on the trailer, etc.

I didn't want to poo poo on it, but have a gut feel that 7 AC (not all cleared) isn't going to support that insane amount of pumpkin growing. And even if it did, 15-20 tons of pumpkins just seems like insanity. Anyway....I'm apparently going to be putting a bunch of pumpkins in the ground..... :)

I know 0 about growing pumpkins. Just till up some land, transplant seedlings into small mounds like I'd do any other kind of garden squash, and then just let em go? I have no delusion that we will grow 2,000 pumpkins. I would not be surprised if net result this fall is one pumpkin that ends up as our jack-o-lantern. But since I'm apparently going to have to put some time into this project, may as well try to make it work. Help me get started please!!!!

Ground is all Carolina red clay with no/very poor top soil. Very rocky. It's all recreational land and potential buyer when I was looking at it couldn't get it to perk. No utilities either....I already have small garden patch and just water by hand from IBC totes and 30 gal plastic barrels. So I guess I need to know (1) what variety of decorative pumpkin is hearty/easy to grow? (2) Where do I get bulk seeds cheap? (3) What kind of soil do they like - what is easiest (meaning maybe not best, but not difficult, not expensive) way to condition soil to make pumpkins happy?

/ Pumpkins #2  
Where in NC? I think I paid over $20 for 2 last year.

/ Pumpkins #3  
Last edited:
   / Pumpkins #4  
Good luck! I've never bought a pumpkin for less than $10 so I might come visit! :thumbsup:

/ Pumpkins
So what you're saying is I only need to grow half as many pumpkins but sell for twice as much? awesome! Maybe I can just grow 10 and get $1k a piece :)

In N. Davidson County NC - Welcome/Midway area.

Thanks for the Harris seed link. Will check that out today!

/ Pumpkins #6  
go visit your extension agent. he/she will have info that is location specific.

/ Pumpkins #7  
I always ask my wife the definition of “we” in case like this! For some reason it has different meanings when it comes to certain tasks....lol

Just curious if the $10k is net or gross. Huge difference obviously. I’d hate to see all the effort only to find the state bases it on the tax return- which, of course, is your net.

Good luck and enjoy the project!

I’m wondering if this is something you could partner with your favorite charity to sell a few. I could see a church or scouts or something giving you $5 each and selling them for $10 each on a Sunday or in front of the local grocery store around Halloween. A win-win! I’d gladly pay $10 knowing the extra few bucks taught a kid a lesson about work and helped fill the coffers for summer camp or something like that.

/ Pumpkins
I know the definition of "we" all to well.... :) WE will help get the seeds started. WE will help put about 25ish seedlings into the ground. WE will help pick about 50 mature pumpkins. WE will sit @ farmer's market for about 6 hrs once. Otherwise, for all else involved in planting, watering, weeding, de-bugging, harvesting, loading, etc, replace WE with ME :)

No big deal though.....what else am I going to do...watch TV?

I think it is just $10k in farm income. If that's offset 100% by expenses to where you actually net $0, I think it still counts, but does have to be proven via tax return. Not entirely sure - other than initially checking into and getting the temporary 3-yr exemption - haven't really researched it. Once I saw the $10k income requirement I immediately knew that would probably be way too much for what my small piece land and available time to work it could realistically do.

Never know though....she might be onto something with all these pumpkins :)

/ Pumpkins #9  
I'm sure SC is different from NC but I'll ask anyway as I've been curious... Is the 10K to meet the 3-year tempory for EACH of the 3 years or 10K spread over the 3 years? What benefit does the farm exemption give you? Tax break? Thanks!

/ Pumpkins #10  
That is only a few pounds of "certain" crops,,, usually growing in a corn field,,

you could tell the tax guy you grew pumpkins,,,:D

:laughing: