Building a house addition and have a question on floor truss supprot.

/ Building a house addition and have a question on floor truss supprot. #1  

lzicc

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
I am building a 20' x 36' addition to our house. The bottom will be a garage and the first floor will be a living space. I am using floor joist trusses for the floor joist so I don't have to use a beam. The floor truss's will run perpendicular to the existing house. I need a way to support the floor truss on the existing house side. I was going to pour a footer and build up with 4" concrete block to support the house side of the floor truss. I wasn't sure it there may be a better idea on how to do this.

house dig.PNGTruss Picture.PNG

/ Building a house addition and have a question on floor truss supprot. #2  
Are you stripping off the exterior off that side of the house?

/ Building a house addition and have a question on floor truss supprot. #3  
Lots of ways to do it. Could use a shelf angle, column and beam or a bearing wall. Why couldn't the wall be wood?

/ Building a house addition and have a question on floor truss supprot.
I am only stripping off the side. The bricks will stay. The wall could be wood. I was thinking about going 4 courses high with 4" block then 2x4 wall the rest of the way.

/ Building a house addition and have a question on floor truss supprot. #5  
Are you stripping off the exterior off that side of the house?

if you strip off the siding you could fasten a 2x12 or whatever size neede to fasten joist to with hangers then put another 2x under the first one for more support that is what I would do

The floor truss on the original house go from front to back. I guess I could attach a 2x12 to the side and use joist hangers. I sorta like that idea.

/ Building a house addition and have a question on floor truss supprot. #7  
If you are not stripping the exterior finish off the side of the existing house, it presents a problem tying it into the existing structure. You would have an inside wall of the garage attached to brick veneer. I suppose you could pour footers and put in steel posts supporting a beam against the top of the existing brick wall, which looks to be at the ceiling height of the existing garage. It looks like from your plan you are avoiding moving the utility boxes.

/ Building a house addition and have a question on floor truss supprot. #8  
If you don’t mind having a step up inside the house, you can rest the engineered trusses right on the existing sill/deck. That would require stripping off the sheeting behind the siding also.

The house will sit about 4' back from the original house. That will give me more outside room in front of the garage and I can avoid moving the electric meter. I am going to strip off the siding which will expose the side of the original house floor joist truss which I can attach a 2x12 board and use truss hangers. I can't rest the new joist on the original foundation since the trusses go in a different direction or I would do that. Having a step up is an idea. That would give me a higher ceiling in the garage, but I would have to think about that.

/ Building a house addition and have a question on floor truss supprot. #10  
Connecting a 2 story addition to your existing house should take more than a TBN thread. Any movement between the two can cause cracking, leaks or worst case some type of failure.
The 2x12 ledger may end up being the solution but the devil is in the details. The connection, existing footings etc will all be a factor. I’d spend a few bucks on an engineer that is willing to come out and give you some pointers.

Good luck it looks like a nice project. I’m sure you will enjoy the project and final result.