Half acre of roots and stones

/ Half acre of roots and stones #1  

farmyid

Bronze Member
Tractor
Century 3040
I am trying to create a pasture in the foothills of the berkshires of Western Mass and have just finished clearing a half acre of dense mature forest. I had someone in to remove the stumps which are now in a plle waiting to be hauled out and ground up. My excavator will be back with his bulldozer to flatten out the craters as best he can, but i am wondering what the best tool to rip through the roots would be? I have a heavy 40 HP tractor and am wondering if a box blade with rippers might work folled by raking and possibly roto tilling in some manure... Is their an easier way? perhapa higher it out to someone with a bigger machine? Thanks!

/ Half acre of roots and stones #2  
farmyid

Does your excavator have a root rake for his dozer? That would probably be the most efficient way to clear roots and stones.

RonL

/ Half acre of roots and stones #4  
It's unbelieveable what a root rake can do with a good operator in the seat. I had 15 acres cleared a few years ago. It was loaded with tallow trees which tend to have shallow roots. The trick is to keep it cut, cuz these **** tallow trees grow like grass. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

KiotiMutt