Using a trailer for a creek crossing?????

/ Using a trailer for a creek crossing????? #1  

Woody65

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300 HST 4wd
Need some opinions from you guys regarding using this trailer as a bridge across a creek. I need about a 30' long bridge to use as a crossing for atv's, utv' my tractor (3500#) and if able my mini ex (8000#). The trailer is 37' long by 7'6" wide and is made out of 5" heavy walled pipe. I will make concrete abutments on either side and if necessary, put support posts underneath. I have considered utility poles, cutting down some of my own trees. I have an architect friend who speced out using my own red oaks and for a 10,000# load he said I would need 4 12" trees. I saw this trailer for sale and was thinking how easy it would be to just drag it across, set it and then deck it with wood. Can't seem to calculate the weight it would hold. What do you guys think?

image-128837577.jpg

image-1139929008.jpg

image-996734164.jpg

/ Using a trailer for a creek crossing????? #2  
I have a similar creek on my place. Hate it. Washed out my 8.5’ x 20’ culvert several times. Considered building a bridge. What I ended up doing was making a low level water crossing with the tractor and lined it with 2.5 pallets of 80 lb quickrete bags. The water soaks thru the bag and you’ll end up with a brink of Concrete. Holds up great to taking anything we need across and so far has held up well to rain. Haven’t had any huge rain events but should be good.

I don’t think that Trailer would be a good candidate. The pipe would be very low on my list for structural strength in that type of application

Brett

/ Using a trailer for a creek crossing????? #3  
I’d pass on that trailer. A junked semi flatbed would be a lot more in line.

/ Using a trailer for a creek crossing????? #4  
My exact feelings also Brett. When building a bridge - I would use three of my big Ponderosa pines long before pipe. Pipe simply has too much flex. I have an area where water flows out of my five acre lake into my 120 acre lake - "the moat". I have, over many years, gathered stone of all sizes and built a crossing area - 30 feet wide by 140 feet across - in the moat. The moat is essentially - 80 to 100 feet across and 475 feet long. Right now - the wettest time of the year - there is 18" of water over the stones in the crossing area. Its no problem to get across - just go slow. Other times of the year the moat is completely dry and the stone crossing area is 20" to 24" higher than the rest of the ground. The stone crossing "bridge" keeps you above deeper waters AND provides a firm grounding. The ground is super soft in the moat right now and any attempted crossing - other than at the stone bridge - your tractor will immediately be high centered in water saturated slimy mud plus the total depth of the water at any crossing point. I've had experiences.

This works very well - the stone crossing area(bridge) allows me to get across any time of the year - yet does not stop the flow of water from one lake to the other.

/ Using a trailer for a creek crossing?????
I agree but had to ask. You know how your mind wanders and an idea sounds great to yourself until someone else points out its deficiencies. Thanks. I will go back to the original plan and use logs.

/ Using a trailer for a creek crossing????? #6  
I壇 pass on that trailer. A junked semi flatbed would be a lot more in line.

Yep. Several have been used in my area.

/ Using a trailer for a creek crossing????? #7  
We have one remaining bridge in our system that's built with used power poles which is now scheduled for replacement. We did have one made in part, with felled trees which rotted out, in far to short of time. With that experience, we will no longer use power poles or tree trunks, in any fashion as bridge beams. They don't last long enough, to had to work with and poles have way much deflection in them.

I agree but had to ask. You know how your mind wanders and an idea sounds great to yourself until someone else points out its deficiencies. Thanks. I will go back to the original plan and use logs.

/ Using a trailer for a creek crossing????? #8  
We have one remaining bridge in our system that's built with used power poles which is now scheduled for replacement. We did have one made in part, with felled trees which rotted out, in far to short of time. With that experience, we will no longer use power poles or tree trunks, in any fashion as bridge beams. They don't last long enough, to had to work with and poles have way much deflection in them.

I agree. The first day of a wooden beam's life is also the first day of it's death.

/ Using a trailer for a creek crossing????? #9  
I agree. The first day of a wooden beam's life is also the first day of it's death.

Treated beams last a long time. I agree cutting a few trees for poles is a bad idea.

/ Using a trailer for a creek crossing????? #10  
Treated beams last a long time. I agree cutting a few trees for poles is a bad idea.

Would be interesting to see a cost comparison of buying treated beams versus buying steel beams with a similar weight capacity??

My last bridge I used steel I beams and decked it with treated planks.