What would be "best" way to capture rainwater from a shipping container?

/ What would be "best" way to capture rainwater from a shipping container? #1  

CMV

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST (previous LS XJ2025H, JD 500C)
Standard (not high cube) 40' container, collect water in 330 gal IBC totes.

I put "best" in quotes since that will mean something entirely different to every reader here. I define it for this projects as (1) easiest, (2) lowest/lower cost materials, (3) doesn't have to be pretty, (4) sturdy enough I'm not rebuilding in 5 yrs, but not bomb-proof either, and (5) efficient at capturing run-off water, but I don't care if I don't catch every last drop - anything is better than the 0 I collect today. This is what I'm thinking - please tell me if a better way:

1. Raise one side about 2" higher than the other getting the container slightly out of level. Bad for door operation I know, but need the water going where I want.
2. Affix pressure treated 2x6 along top of low side to act as fascia. Even with top edge.
3. Affix AL drip edge over top of container and 2x6
4. Attach gutter as normal from there, one downspout routed to open lid of IBC tote. Appx 2" drop over 40' span for gutter.

If that captured 80% of the water hitting top of container, that would be about a full IBC tote for every 2" inches of rain.

/ What would be "best" way to capture rainwater from a shipping container? #2  
Re: What would be "best" way to capture rainwater from a shipping container?

Should work. I see the 2x as optional, especially if you are going to be sealing the drip edge to the metal top anyway. You could use nuts welded to the container and machine screws in place of the nails or wood screws that come with the gutter brackets.

While there are a number of products that could probably do an OK job sealing the drip edge down, I personally would want something like an EPDM membrane over the roof that laps over the drip edge seam, but I am probably overthinking it.

/ What would be "best" way to capture rainwater from a shipping container?

Should work. I see the 2x as optional, especially if you are going to be sealing the drip edge to the metal top anyway. You could use nuts welded to the container and machine screws in place of the nails or wood screws that come with the gutter brackets.

While there are a number of products that could probably do an OK job sealing the drip edge down, I personally would want something like an EPDM membrane over the roof that laps over the drip edge seam, but I am probably overthinking it.

Membrane a good idea - would catch more water probably. Can those be painted? I don't think I'd want a black rubber roof on the container heating up the inside of it.

I thought the 2x strip to attach gutter would be better due to fewer holes in the container itself (less chance of rust spots) and then a lot simpler to screw the gutter hangers into that vs going thru the steel every 2'? Maybe not - I haven't put any holes in the container yet so no idea how tough it is to drill it.

/ What would be "best" way to capture rainwater from a shipping container? #4  

I was thinking nuts on the outside, no through hole at all...

But yeah, a weld would still leave a rust pot.

/ What would be "best" way to capture rainwater from a shipping container? #5  

Standard (not high cube) 40' container, collect water in 330 gal IBC totes. <snip>

Its been almost a decade since I closely inspected a shipping container. As I recall, the corner castings (those rectangular steel blocks at the eight corners that have oval holes for stacking pins, lifting pins, or tie down hooks) extend a fraction of an inch beyond the planes of the sides, top and bottom. Therefore the use of wood fascia that could be notched to reduce any gap between roof surface and gutter is likely a good idea. Probably you are buying a used container that will have numerous dents, scrapes, etc. In many instances "used" containers are being retired from service for structural damage that exceeds specific criteria. (Containers are not only "boxes" but are temporary 'tween decks that must sustain forces like stacking, ship movements and others forces beyond their laden weight.) You presumably can tolerate such structural shortcomings but may need caulk and resourcefulness to adapt.

Most likely the container you are contemplating is corrugated steel. There are also aluminum and Fiberglass-Reinforced-Plywood containers that will provide different challenges. The steel parts of containers are usually "CorTen" steel, an alloy formulated for weather resistance. I've seen many labels cautioning repair workers to use suitable electrodes when welding CorTen lest it hasten rusting.

/ What would be "best" way to capture rainwater from a shipping container? #6  

I define it for this projects as (1) easiest, (2) lowest/lower cost materials, (3) doesn't have to be pretty, (4) sturdy enough I'm not rebuilding in 5 yrs, but not bomb-proof either, and (5) efficient at capturing run-off water, but I don't care if I don't catch every last drop

Walk out to the middle of the roof with a pickaxe, drive the point about 3" through the roof and wiggle it a bit when removing. Place a barrel under the hole.

It meets the requirements, easy, no cost, not pretty, sturdy, bomb proof and efficient. Hope this helps.

/ What would be "best" way to capture rainwater from a shipping container?

Already have container in place. Used, but great shape. Not a "one-trip", but not ready to be pulled from service for damage.

I can't weld - I'm lucky if I can mix JB Weld and not make a complete mess :)

/ What would be "best" way to capture rainwater from a shipping container? #8  

I'm such a bad welder that I can burn holes in thin sheet metal with JB Weld.

:D

Bruce

/ What would be "best" way to capture rainwater from a shipping container? #9  

Put 2 x 4's around the edge and put swimming pool liner over them making a dam.
Leave a small opening for a spillway and direct it to the tote.

/ What would be "best" way to capture rainwater from a shipping container? #10  

About 15 years ago the formula for pressure treated wood was changed from an arsenic-based compound to a copper-based one because of concerns about the toxicity of arsenic. The copper-based formula is highly corrosive to steel and should only be used with fasteners that are specifically made for it. I suspect that in direct contact with the side of the shipping container it would cause the steel to rust.

Similarly, aluminum will corrode in contact with treated lumber. It will also corrode in contact with steel. You might want to wrap the 2x6 in membrane type flashing (ie Vycor) so it is not in direct contact with either the gutter or the container.