New A/C Cost

/ New A/C Cost #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
Alright you A/C guru's. So my 22 YO Frigidaire 3T Air and gas heat system is kaput. (actually only the compressor, but heck it's 22 YO, so I figure I've got my value from the system and probably time to replace it.)

How do these installed prices stack up?

Goodman 16 Seer 3 ton gas system GSX160361, GME80805CN and TXV42 for $6081

or

Goodman 16 Seer 3 ton 2 stage gas system, GSX180361, CAPF4961C6, GMVC80805CN w/ TX3N4 for $7194

Do these installed prices sound reasonable? The standard unit has a 10 year parts warranty, the 2 stage has a lifetime. Is the energy savings significant on the 2 stage?

I have a 1.5T goodman on our addition and it's been running strong for 10 years without a hiccup. is it a good brand? I figure one or two manufacturers make all of them these days.

/ New A/C Cost #2  
Without doing the math, but based on the Texas location, I’d bet the $1000 difference wouldn’t pay for itself. Provide a little more detail with climate, energy costs, type of energy etc and we can provide some additional SWAGS.
Cost seems inline and typically you get the system the contractor/wholesaler sells. I don’t know may contractors who like to sell a bunch of different brands.

/ New A/C Cost #3  
If ... (and I repeat) Only IF you are comfortable working on your own "stuff", then read on. If not, ignore the rest of this post .....

I was in the same boat as you about 6 years ago, my system was dying a slow painful death. I did some research and bought a Goodman 3.5 ton "package unit" heat pump from a wholesaler in Ky. The unit was delivered (fully charged) with basically everything I needed for install for $1,800.00. I ran 2 18" flex ducts in through the foundation and used them to tie into the existing duct work. 1 good day of work to set the unit, run ducts, and wire the unit and it has been working great ever since.

Prices have gone up since then, but looking at Goodman 3 Ton 16 SEER R410A Horizontal Packaged Heat Pump I would say you could save quite a bit doing this yourself.

On a side note, 2 years ago I ordered 2 ductless mini split systems from the same folks, a 1 ton for my wife's shop and a 1.5 ton for mine. I went with the "Mr Cool DIY" series (Heating & Air Conditioning Ductless Split Systems • Ingrams Water & Air) and these units are fantastic. Mount them, connect the line sets, and run the power .... you're done !!! Set the temp and forget about them. They work great and the price was unbelievable.....

I am retired, I don't work for these folks (or anybody else except my wife) but if I did I would probably try to work for these people, they are nice people and seem to really care about their customers.

/ New A/C Cost #4  
If ... (and I repeat) Only IF you are comfortable working on your own "stuff", then read on. If not, ignore the rest of this post .....

I was in the same boat as you about 6 years ago, my system was dying a slow painful death. I did some research and bought a Goodman 3.5 ton "package unit" heat pump from a wholesaler in Ky. The unit was delivered (fully charged) with basically everything I needed for install for $1,800.00. I ran 2 18" flex ducts in through the foundation and used them to tie into the existing duct work. 1 good day of work to set the unit, run ducts, and wire the unit and it has been working great ever since.

Prices have gone up since then, but looking at Goodman 3 Ton 16 SEER R410A Horizontal Packaged Heat Pump I would say you could save quite a bit doing this yourself.

On a side note, 2 years ago I ordered 2 ductless mini split systems from the same folks, a 1 ton for my wife's shop and a 1.5 ton for mine. I went with the "Mr Cool DIY" series (Heating & Air Conditioning Ductless Split Systems • Ingrams Water & Air) and these units are fantastic. Mount them, connect the line sets, and run the power .... you're done !!! Set the temp and forget about them. They work great and the price was unbelievable.....

I am retired, I don't work for these folks (or anybody else except my wife) but if I did I would probably try to work for these people, they are nice people and seem to really care about their customers.

I second the vote on the mini splits.

I have a 2 zone in our upstairs bedrooms and a single zone one out in the wife's two car garage and they are flawless. Quiet and lower energy use.

Installed them myself. Came precharged. I connected the lines, pulled a vacuum with a harbor freight vacuum pump and then released the refrigerant.

No duct work involved.

/ New A/C Cost #5  
Alright you A/C guru's. So my 22 YO Frigidaire 3T Air and gas heat system is kaput. (actually only the compressor, but heck it's 22 YO, so I figure I've got my value from the system and probably time to replace it.)

How do these installed prices stack up?

Goodman 16 Seer 3 ton gas system GSX160361, GME80805CN and TXV42 for $6081

or

Goodman 16 Seer 3 ton 2 stage gas system, GSX180361, CAPF4961C6, GMVC80805CN w/ TX3N4 for $7194

Do these installed prices sound reasonable? The standard unit has a 10 year parts warranty, the 2 stage has a lifetime. Is the energy savings significant on the 2 stage?

I have a 1.5T goodman on our addition and it's been running strong for 10 years without a hiccup. is it a good brand? I figure one or two manufacturers make all of them these days.

Well Gsganzer,

You and I are in a similar boat. My Goodman heat pump of 17 years is only giving me 16 degrees of cooling--not dead yet, but dying (no refrigerant leak and the refrigerant level is in spec). My AC guy (who I have had used for the last 8 years) is quoting me $7-10K for an installed replacement unit (not Goodman) at 18.5 seer. He says the guts are made by Mitsubishi. I have a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim for my office and it is fantastic.

He won't install Goodman--calls them a builder's grade unit. He says they only last about 10 years and they usually die right as the warranty runs out. I can kinda confirm that as I went through 2 compressors in the first 8 years.

/ New A/C Cost #6  
I was in same boat....my system was continually needing band aids, would run nonstop on 90*+ days, and my summer electric bills were skyrocketing.
Quotes for replacement were above $6k for a 4T AC and 100k BTU gas furnace, attic installation.

I went through Factory Furnace Direct and got the Goodman furnace, compressor, and condenser, for right at $2k delivered. Paid my normal HVAC tech $1k to do it as a side job on a weekend. So I was real happy that I was able to do it for half of the lowest quote I got.

I was a little nervous about Goodman since I don't know anyone with that brand and don't see it used around here. So I asked my tech and he said that's what he used at his house and their stuff was good as any. That was good enough to put me at ease. I debated paying more for higher SEER and he talked me out of it. A lot more maintenance and potential for water damage in an attic installation. So I ended up getting 14 or 14.5 SEER - whatever the lowest we're supposed to install in our region.

I can't be happier with it and am glad I saved the $ not going with higher SEER. even at 14/14.5 it is MUCH more efficient than original Lennox (from 2003). Quieter, cycles off even on hottest days, and my summer AC bills reduced by more than 1/3! Furnace - well that seems same. gas bill is same. Only thing I notice there as different is the air handler is quieter. But I didn't have problems with original one and tech even told me not to replace it since nothing wrong with it. But I figured if ripping stuff out anyway and adding furnace is tiny cost on the package deal, may as well have peace of mind that it's new and under warranty....

I don't know what your min SEER rating needs to be by code/gov't mandate, but my guy showed me the math and flawed reasoning. I was thinking if X higher SEER saves $X every month, it pays for itself. BUT I wasn't considering I don't run the AC 12 months a year, but was doing the math that way. He said really it's only saving the most in the 2 maybe 3 hottest months of the year. Will be the same in transitional months, and of course $0 during winter. Redoing math that way, then figuring slightly higher installation costs, higher service costs, the higher SEER was actually more expensive over 15-20 yrs even though my initial math/reasoning made it seem cheaper in long run.

Anyway....all that to say, if I had to do it again after using the system for over a year now, I would definitely buy a Goodman package again on my own and then find a tech to install "off the clock". Still get the factory warranty - you just have to register it yourself with Goodman. I have no affiliation with Factory Furnace Direct, but while researching what to buy and from whom, they were who I ended up choosing as other places advertised items they didn't physically have in stock and true ship dates were estimates. And when I called these guys at ordering time and told them I had a lower quote elsewhere, they beat it by $1 :)

I reused existing lineset and ductwork since tech said nothing wrong with them. Oh, my house is in full sun with 0 shade and faces south. Not really well insulated, octopus flex ducts from the attic, basic double pane windows, and I could make a lot of improvements on general air leakage. House was built at height of housing bubble in 2002 in a housing plan and the developer definitely cut a lot of corners and tried to put up as many houses as quickly and inexpensively as possible. 2700 sq ft, one zone for AC. And my worst electric bill last summer was $190 with us keeping thermostat on 72*. So I can't complain at all about my choice for lower SEER and lower price brand name.

/ New A/C Cost #7  
I've worked with about a dozen different AC companies in my area, and learned that they are almost as crooked as roofers. Too many want to sell you a new unit when it's a simple repair.

Fortunately I finally found one that I trust, and has proven themselves over and over again with my clients when I recommend them to take care of their problems. It's a Nationwide chain called Aire Serv that you might want to call for a second opinion. I have no idea if they are all run by the same quality of people that I have here or not. But whenever I need to find somebody to do something that I'm not knowledgeable about, or I have to rely on their honesty to do it right, I always talk to at least five before making a choice, and sometimes a lot more then that!!!

/ New A/C Cost #8  
Cant say about the price, but I have had a Goodman since 98 and its been trouble free. My dad installed a Goodman in 90 and replaced it 3 years ago with a more efficient Goodman. I went with the Goodman because it was a third cheaper than the next bid when I built my house. I have toyed with the idea of upgradeing to a more efficient unit but I heat with wood so the heatpump is rarely used and it cools rather cheaply so why bother. I would buy a Goodman again.

/ New A/C Cost
I went with the Goodman 2-stage unit after they discounted it another $300. I'm on the road, so my wife worked from home today so she could be there when they installed it. Unfortunately, they didn't get there until around noon and then the unit they brought was defective, so they had to run to a local distributor to get another one. It's 6PM and they're still there installing it.

My wife's HOT tonight, but not in a good way! :mad:

/ New A/C Cost #10  
Defective unit right out of the gate doesn't inspire much confidence, but I replaced my old Carrier with a Trane and it has quit twice in two years, so much for you can't stop a Trane.