Ground Cover Plant Advice

/ Ground Cover Plant Advice #1  

Hysyde

Gold Member
Eastern Ontario, Canada (South of Ottawa)
I finally got around to putting up a small (16 x 24) shop last fall, and just bought a Ford 1210 that has enabled me to fix the grade around the building (I built it up as it was in a bit of a low sport) and add some fill out of some berms on another part of the property.

My problem now is I don't know what to put on the ground. It was previously overgrown with Virginia creeper, nettles, and a bunch of other crap. It is quite shady, and where I've added fill, very sandy. The lower areas are somewhat soggy outside of mid-summer, but rarely dry. It will probably see some traffic as I intend to start a new trail into the bush from here to minimize the traffic across my yard (my route into the bush now). I may park a trailer or two in the area occasionally as well.

I'm in Ontario, Canada so it needs to be winter hardy and I won't mind if I occasionally have to mow it, but don't want it to be on frequency of my yard (which is often when there's rain).

I've heard about a few varieties of clover, ivy and mint.

Any advice is appreciated!

23i6zp2.jpg

jhxxg9.jpg

/ Ground Cover Plant Advice #2  
I'm in the same situation as you with very nearly identical type of land and climate. I planted some periwinkle that I got free from a neighbor and it doesn't do a bad job in shady areas, I just wish it spread a little faster.

/ Ground Cover Plant Advice #3  
Black dog best me to it, I was going to suggest periwinkle also, first picture. Second picture is annual Rye grass I started which is fast growing.
Periwinkle is great, it doesn't grow too tall but where I grew up about 15 miles from here (Virginia) it will eventually take over into the yard. Here where I planted it's contained by an asphalt walkway.
I put gravel down where I want a path or to put equipment.20180520_151146.jpeg20180520_151248.jpeg

/ Ground Cover Plant Advice #4  
If you would prefer a grass look to a ground cover look, consider hard fescue. There are different varieties but in general they are shade tolerant meadow type grasses that are slow growing and do well in poor soils. I have planted it in mixed shade and sun areas of sandy ground and it's done well. I mow it once a month or so to knock weeds down, but it doesn't grow much over 6 inches high.

/ Ground Cover Plant Advice #5  
Another vote for periwinkle if it is hardy in your area. Alternatives would be mondo or monkey grasses if they are hardy in Ontario. I agree that creating gravel paths is a good idea.

Good luck.

Steve

/ Ground Cover Plant Advice #6  
You have a beautiful wooded lot!

Periwinkle is a great ground cover. It will definitely take over fast but it's considered an invasive species

Periwinkle Tree Canada

I'd recommend putting down landscape fabric covered by 6 inches of clear pea gravel at least 8-16 feet all around the building to provide good drainage. Keep a good slope away from the building. Let nature take over the rest. Mow a couple times a year if you want to keep the vegetation under control.

PS. If you have enough sunlight the twitch grass will move in with the periwinkle and both plants are a bugger to remove.

/ Ground Cover Plant Advice #7  
I like the one that most people hate. Creeping Charlie. or English ground Ivy. I wish I could find seeds but it's considered noxious and invasive. I have it around 25 apple trees in my orchard and It's awesome. You can hardly kill it even with herbicide.

/ Ground Cover Plant Advice #9  
Some suggestions: Suggestions For Shade Ground Cover I like ajuga. I've also done pachasandra and periwinkle. Lilly of the valley is nice, but it would take gobs of them. I've lots of dead nettle growing naturally (as well as that ajuga).

Ralph

/ Ground Cover Plant Advice #10  
Don't plant mint! You'll spend the rest of your life trying to get rid of it, and failing. Ivy spreads too and is tough to walk on IMO. Looks a little shady for clover. Landscape cloth will be constant maintenance: always poking up and showing (ugly), blocks some water so creates a dry condition that may hurt your trees, weeds will seed onto it anyway, attracts bugs.....theres a long list of why I don't like landscape cloth.

Others had good suggestions for groundcover. Pachysandra is nice but takes years to spread and a little too tall for walking on. I like mondo grass but mine has frozen to death every year so I gave up (I'm zone 6). There are lots of choices.

I like creeping jenny (see below). Zones 2-10, likes moist shade, spreads quickly, very low and easy to walk on. It dies back completely in winter, just disappears, then bursts out bigger than ever in early spring. I actually like that as I can get in there and do work in the area while its dormant. Bright lime green color really brightens up a shady area.

3-creeping-jenny-black-mondo-grass-nw-jpg.jpg

That's a pretty large area needing to be landscaped. If it were me, for a "woodland workshed" I would throw down some brown mulch and let mother nature do the planting while your groundcover gets established. You should end up with something pretty, natural looking and low maintenance. Looks like you have some bracken in the woods, which you could also transplant.