Raking gravel driveway

/ Raking gravel driveway #1  

coolbrze

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800
I've got a long (over 1/2 mile) driveway that is very steep in two places. I'm going to get some gravel here soon but am not sure if I should get 21A or 57. I'm leaning towards 21A but wanted to hear from you guys. I think the 57s would be too loose when traversing the two hills. Also, in terms of raking it w/ a landscape rake, how do you recommend? I'm guessing rake angled in to bring extra substate to the center to keep the crown high? Any help on both matters is greatly appreciated.

/ Raking gravel driveway #2  
A landscape rake isn't the right tool for gravel unless you just want to drag all the larger rocks out. :) You need a blade or box blade.

As to the steep sections, a picture would help.

/ Raking gravel driveway #3  
Get straight-up crusher run. You want it to pack. That’s the 21a, but depending on your source it might be cleaner or dustier. You want the dusty stuff. If it doesn’t pack you’re going to lose it all on the slopes and into the ditches.

/ Raking gravel driveway #4  
I use my landscape rake on my 1900' driveway a couple of times a year, with good results. In the spring, I angle it all the way to pull the gravel in from the sides, and the go back with it straighter to put the gravel where I want it. You can't just drag it or you will pull up the larger rocks, but floated properly, it works great.

/ Raking gravel driveway #5  
I use my landscape rake on my 1900' driveway a couple of times a year, with good results. In the spring, I angle it all the way to pull the gravel in from the sides, and the go back with it straighter to put the gravel where I want it. You can't just drag it or you will pull up the larger rocks, but floated properly, it works great.

Same here. In fact, my LR is 2nd on my list of implements to modify to fit my QH, after only my BB (which is also my favorite counterweight). Since my BB and EA 8' grader blade have done all the heavy lifting on my one mile gravel road, it's time to start grooming it with my LR. Gots to modify it first. Let's hope it's a lot easier than the BB. :(

/ Raking gravel driveway #6  
I agree with Welshman and FTG-05. My driveway is about 800' and I also do a neighbour's whose is about 1,000'. We both have a good base of 3/4"- gravel. I just do both driveways in the fall before snowblowing season. I like a slight crown so the blower doesn't send the gravel into the field (which happened the first year when the crown was too high).

For my situation the rake works much better than the blade I used previously. I had difficulty maintaining a smooth surface until I got gage wheels for the rake. I set the rake lower and angled for the initial passes to loosen the surface and make a ridge in the centre. Then it is easy with the gage wheels set so the rake is a bit higher and slightly angled to re-spread the gravel from the centre with the field side wheel set 1" lower than the wheel at the centre of the road. The gage wheels basically suspend the rake between them and the tractor's rear wheels and that makes it much easier to level humps and hollows.

Last edited:
   / Raking gravel driveway #7  
I agree with Welshman and FTG-05. My driveway is about 800' and I also do a neighbour's whose is about 1,000'. We both have a good base of 3/4"- gravel. I just do both driveways in the fall before snowblowing season. I like a slight crown so the blower doesn't send the gravel into the field (which happened the first year when the crown was too high).

For my situation the rake works much better than the blade I used previously. I had difficulty maintaining a smooth surface until I got gage wheels for the rake. I set the rake lower and angled for the initial passes to loosen the surface and make a ridge in the centre. Then it is easy with the gage wheels set so the rake is a bit higher slightly angled to re-spread the gravel from the centre with the field side wheel set 1" lower than the wheel at the centre of the road. The gage wheels basically suspend the rake between the rake between them and the tractor's rear wheels and that makes it much easier to level humps and hollows.

Good response.

/ Raking gravel driveway #8  
IMO...without hydraulic top and tilt...gauge wheels are paramount for a landscape rake...
Rakes are a great grooming implement for gravel drives...set at an angle they will easily smooth washboard effects...
The drawbacks of of rakes is they tend to collect larger aggregate from the fines and will create windrows of the larger gravel on extended passes...

For general maintenance of a stable and well defined gravel lane... a landscape rake is hard to beat for ease of use and least time involved...

/ Raking gravel driveway #9  

/ Raking gravel driveway #10  
After getting the gravel in place with the landscape rake I always make a couple of passes with the rake backwards to give a final smoothing.