I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer!

/ I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer! #1  

Tiptoo

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM T234
Drone flying over knobs in Bullitt County, Kentucky, near Bernheim Forest - YouTube

Finally purchased a tractor. TYM T234. I love it!....my wife says I love it more than her.

I was told that it was a bad idea to cut a trail up my knob....probably should have bought an excavator instead.....

35° slope for most....top half goes to +60° slope. Slow and level....slow and level....

Recently practiced between my house and barns. Cutting down is easy. Cutting up is slow. I'll keep y'all posted.

20180408_142843.jpeg20180507_171328.jpeg20180511_195835.jpeg20180508_200011.jpeg20180507_195357.jpeg20180511_194353.jpeg20180422_123710.jpeg

/ I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer!
Path FB_IMG_1521041774917.jpeg20180531_130451.jpeg

/ I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer! #3  
It looks like with enough storm water you could have the next mini grand canyon...mud slides would be another concern IMO...

It looks like with enough storm water you could have the next mini grand canyon...mud slides would be another concern IMO...
I know . We just had a down pour and the bottom rutted out pretty bad. I bought 48 ton of rip rap ....but not sure if that is the best solution. Any ideas to remedy my current and next erosion issues??

/ I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer! #5  
There's an app called anglemeter PRO that you can put on your phone for checking slopes. I use it frequently.

Pictures flatten things out so I look at the nearby trees to get an idea how steep the slope is in them.

35 degree is extreme. At 60 degree your tractor will not stay on. Will simply slide down the slope.

Looks like a worthwhile project. Thanks for the scenery tour!!!

/ I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer! #6  
IMO, Before cutting any new trails, lanes through wooded grades/slopes the very first consideration should be runoff control and manipulation...

/ I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer! #7  
I know . We just had a down pour and the bottom rutted out pretty bad. I bought 48 ton of rip rap ....but not sure if that is the best solution. Any ideas to remedy my current and next erosion issues??

Sharp switchbacks. Never go farthe vertically up than it takes to complete the switchback. The angle runs need to be a reasonable slope and not eccesively long. Water should be discharged at each switch.

Riprap might be okay to control the areas where you dump the water. I don't think you will like it on the roadbed.

There's an app called anglemeter PRO that you can put on your phone for checking slopes. I use it frequently.

Pictures flatten things out so I look at the nearby trees to get an idea how steep the slope is in them.

35 degree is extreme. At 60 degree your tractor will not stay on. Will simply slide down the slope.

Looks like a worthwhile project. Thanks for the scenery tour!!!
I use clinometer app. Yes 35 is steep. The tractor is doing 45 well enough....slow...but well enough. Any steeper I must make bench cuts into the side. Difficult with my setup.

/ I was told it is a bad idea...hold my beer! #9  

Ditches / culverts.
Rip rap
Seed (vegetation)

IMO, Before cutting any new trails, lanes through wooded grades/slopes the very first consideration should be runoff control and manipulation...
I've been contemplating it for over a year.... the current gullys are going south. I only have 1 gully to fight with on the north side. That one will likely wash the start of my trail out. I thought about tile and rip rap....but afraid all the leaves in the fall with eventually clog it up.