Driveway Gravel

/ Driveway Gravel #11  
The greater question is, how much gravel do you need? That dump truck load looks big until they spread it!

/ Driveway Gravel #12  
The greater question is, how much gravel do you need? That dump truck load looks big until they spread it!

Amen. About 3x more than you think.

/ Driveway Gravel #13  
My gravel guy in Olympia is a true artist... he lays down 5 yds like a carpet... unfortunately, he recently passed. The $110 charged per load for gravel, delivery and tailgate spread was bargain priced compared to what similar costs in the SF Bay Area and that does not include tailgate spreading!

/ Driveway Gravel #14  
Figuring out how much you need ain't rocket science.

You can figure volume (in yards) and convert to approximate tonnage.

But I would not use gravel for a driveway. Limestone.is alot better. If available in your area

/ Driveway Gravel #16  
I recently paid $5.75 / ton of 3/4 minus (with fines) for our road association. I request super dumps (24 ton avg.). Since we are not close to the quarry, an hour each way, I pay more to haul it than the rock costs. 17 loads this year at about $425 per load. They dump it as they drive and do a fair job. A little touch up with the rear blade and we were pretty happy this year.
That's what we pay and about the same driving time to and from the quarry. I never order less than a full truck load, 22-24 tons. The stone is cheap, the delivery cost is the same whether it's for a few tons or a full truck load.

/ Driveway Gravel #17  
Figuring out how much you need ain't rocket science.

You can figure volume (in yards) and convert to approximate tonnage.

But I would not use gravel for a driveway. Limestone.is alot better. If available in your area

limestone is a type of gravel. Gravels vary in name and type by region. Crushed gravel works better than stream gravelfor roadbase if available

/ Driveway Gravel #18  
limestone is a type of gravel. Gravels vary in name and type by region. Crushed gravel works better than stream gravelfor roadbase if available

I would avoid "stream" (river) gravel for a base regardless...

You are so right about regions etc...Anywhere in FL (unless it's a trucked in special order) if you order and have "gravel" delivered...it is going to be crushed limestone regardless of the sieve size...Where I am at now (N.E. GA)...it's going to be crushed granite...

/ Driveway Gravel #19  
Never purchased gravel before, and I'm would like to have an idea of how much I will need to spend. I do not know if they price it per cubic yards or if it priced by the ton, or if it depends on where you get it. If anyone near Reidsville, NC had an idea of price, I would greatly appreciate the info.

Fortunately I live near the Sunrock quary in Butner so I can get ABC (road gravel) tor $12 a ton delivered (15 ton minimum). There is another Sunrock location in Prospect Hill that is closer to you. Call their sales office and they can set you up with a quote.

If your just adding to an existing road or drive, I have found it better to have them dump it and you spread it with a front end loader.

When they spread, it tends to be a bit thick and washboards and ruts easily.

/ Driveway Gravel #20  
Never purchased gravel before, and I'm would like to have an idea of how much I will need to spend. I do not know if they price it per cubic yards or if it priced by the ton, or if it depends on where you get it. If anyone near Reidsville, NC had an idea of price, I would greatly appreciate the info.
There is a wide variety of "gravel".
It can weigh from about 2,400 to 3,000 lbs per cubic yard.
Some places sell it by the weight, some by volume, some by truck size.

Where I buy it Gravel | Stone | Recycled Material | Lorton, VA it ranges from $10 to $18/ton and I pull my dually up and they put a ton or two in the bed. But I'm only using it for small projects. And that is in Northern Virginia, just about 10 miles from the Whitehouse.

What are you using it for?