Driveway Gravel

/ Driveway Gravel #21  
Gravels vary in name and type by region.

Gravel has a language all its own. Call the local quarry around here and you are suppose to know a mystery number that identifies the size of the stone. However, far as I know, the number isn't proportional to the size? :confused3: So you can order #11 and it's 1/2 the size of #13. :confused2: I just order a truck load (20 tons) of #9 (1 inch) every few years. Last load in 2016 was $17.70/ton (which included delivery) for 30 mile round trip.

/ Driveway Gravel #22  
Forget gravel or crushed stone if you can get recycled asphalt. (for the top coat or finish)

Same price to haul but it refuses under heat(sun) and makes a great drive surface.
Generally a lot lower $$/ton than crushed stone
Flowing water damages much less than crushed stone.

/ Driveway Gravel #23  
Forget gravel or crushed stone if you can get recycled asphalt. (for the top coat or finish)

Same price to haul but it refuses under heat(sun) and makes a great drive surface.
Generally a lot lower $$/ton than crushed stone
Flowing water damages much less than crushed stone.

Tell me more about recycled asphalt .... I am currently (helping) maintaining a mile and a half 1 lane gravel road.

The previous guy kept it narrow with a high crown, We have been flattening and widening the road along with reworking the ditches on either side. I have been adding about 150 tons of road gravel (ABC modified) each year while getting the road in decent shape.

How well would the asphalt work for a private road with 10 houses and a fair bit of traffic. It's mostly flat but has a few steep grades here and there. 2/3 of the neighbors kick in for a 20 tom load of gravel each year so I'm limited on funds .....

Road 1.jpg

Road 2.jpg

/ Driveway Gravel #24  
Tell me more about recycled asphalt .... I am currently (helping) maintaining a mile and a half 1 lane gravel road.

The previous guy kept it narrow with a high crown, We have been flattening and widening the road along with reworking the ditches on either side. I have been adding about 150 tons of road gravel (ABC modified) each year while getting the road in decent shape.

How well would the asphalt work for a private road with 10 houses and a fair bit of traffic. It's mostly flat but has a few steep grades here and there. 2/3 of the neighbors kick in for a 20 tom load of gravel each year so I'm limited on funds .....

View attachment 557025

View attachment 557026

The local lawn tractor dealer used recycled asphalt for his parking lot. If you get it when it's hot and have it rolled, it's a pretty nice surface. I got a load or recycled concrete for in front of my garage, and it also sets up nice.

I'm curious how your 10 neighbors are with kicking in $$ for the gravel. I do the same for 10 neighbors on e a 1/2 mile private road. I ask them for $25 /year for gravel - I maintain it for free. At first it took a couple of passes to get it. Then I l got busy and it got a little rough, and after that, they all pay up promptly (except one who never pays). Some people figure out right away they are lucky someone takes care of the road. Some come to that conclusion a little later.

/ Driveway Gravel #25  
The local lawn tractor dealer used recycled asphalt for his parking lot. If you get it when it's hot and have it rolled, it's a pretty nice surface. I got a load or recycled concrete for in front of my garage, and it also sets up nice.

I'm curious how your 10 neighbors are with kicking in $$ for the gravel. I do the same for 10 neighbors on e a 1/2 mile private road. I ask them for $25 /year for gravel - I maintain it for free. At first it took a couple of passes to get it. Then I l got busy and it got a little rough, and after that, they all pay up promptly (except one who never pays). Some people figure out right away they are lucky someone takes care of the road. Some come to that conclusion a little later.

Our road is pretty rugged in places so we ask for $20 a month which pays for a 20 ton load of gravel each year per lot.

The neighbor at the very end has 2 mobile homes they rent out and they pay Nothing.

Everybody else see's on of my neighbors with his old JD 50hp tractor and my 40hp out working the road and willingly help out.

We not only maintain the road, but plow it when it snows, otherwise it is impassable.

I try to set an example by providing my new tractor for the work, my time and effort, my fuel, as well as buying a load or 2 of gravel each year.

/ Driveway Gravel #26  
I'm at the end of a fork... the other person at the end of the other fork owns the road... we all have easements from him.

Nice older couple been there for years...

I asked about the road and he said he takes care of it... said he only asks that people don't go out of their way to tear it up... refused to take money.

My way of paying back is to order a stock pile of rock and when I'm there I take care of all the pot holes... actually Mom met more people in short order when she was out tamping the rock down... she likes doing it.

If I ever get back full time my BX is perfect for the chore...

Some neighbors do nothing... so the owner just shrugs.

/ Driveway Gravel #27  
Yep itç—´ the delivery! Material is what has already been stated and delivery is $65-$100/hr (round trip) depending on the truck and location.

Btw- you don稚 want gravel for a driveway. It痴 road base or whatever they call it there. It痴 a mix of rock and stone dust that packs well.

Yah, I was lazy- we say gravel, but what we mostly USE is what the quarry calls "Number 1 Crusher Run"- which is stones averaging 1" diameter, mixed with the fines from its trip thru the crusher.

Packs like concrete after being spread, rained and driven on a little.

Mostly because every once in a while, if'n we get too much dirt showing through, we'll get a load of #2-Crusher Run, instead

/ Driveway Gravel #28  
I get 25 ton of crusher run for around $550 delivered. I'm about 40 minutes on a back road away from the quarry. They tailgate it up my 700 foot driveway very adequately. Never order less than a full truckload even if you have to stockpile some of it.

/ Driveway Gravel #29  
The greater question is, how much gravel do you need? That dump truck load looks big until they spread it!

Ain't that the truth. I buy from a guy that hauls 7 ton with a single axle truck. and 0 to 3/4 "base" as they call it is $120 a load. Seems like a lot on the truck. Ain't much on the road. :)

/ Driveway Gravel #30  
There is a steel smelter not too far from here. They sell steel slag road base for $3.50 a ton. They said it has lime in it. Weeds don’t grow in it at all. It looks and smells like quickcrete before you add the water. It packs down tight almost like concrete. It is a you-haul affair, but if you have your own dump trailer, you can’t beat the price.