Please post your pallet rack solutions...

/ Please post your pallet rack solutions... #1  

Reload5

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS XR4140HC
Looking to either buy or weld up my own but needing some sort of vertical rack for attachments such as grapple, bucket, auger, box blade, spreader, etc. All this stuff is taking up way too much room on the floor of the shop so I am now just storing them in a row underneath the lean-to of the barn.

Ideally, I could have two racks with three attachments in each rack...

Go

/ Please post your pallet rack solutions... #2  
My latest racking for my latest building utilizes 13' Beams. Kind of hard to find. Used 8' uprights of 42" deep racking for a 12' ceiling height. So the whole top is flat. I just found that most attachments are around 6' wide and wastes too much rack space if put in a 8' or 9' rack.

Also got galvanized mesh decking for the whole setup.

Oh and, the problem with long beams is that they are heavy to handle and on account of their depth, rob you of height. I have bent a number of skinny beams pressing down with the loader.

You really need to know what is available. I did my first Barn in 36" Deep Redirack. It was free. Never realized that 42" was more the standard.

I gave piles of racking away, never thinking I would build again. And had to buy the last racking I needed. Typical!

Last edited:
   / Please post your pallet rack solutions... #3  
I very frequently see industrial pallet racking for sale on local clist. Lots of flexibility there with overall height, rack spacing. Way less $, super strong, and ready to bolt together and use. A lot better and cheaper than anything I'd make on my own :)

This is an example: Pallet racking - Monroe NC - business/commercial - by owner - sale <$300 for six 9' locations 5' deep.

Capturesdfgsd.JPG

/ Please post your pallet rack solutions... #4  
That's a pretty good deal. Where are you located CMV?

/ Please post your pallet rack solutions... #5  
Winston Salem and north Davidson county

/ Please post your pallet rack solutions... #6  
Have wanted to do the same thing for my bucket, forks, snow plow on the front and tiller and blower on back. Not sure if I can store the bush hog this way, seems just too big.

I anyone has racks, please post pics!

/ Please post your pallet rack solutions... #7  
<snip>
I anyone has racks, please post pics!

I'm enamored with pallet racking. Tinkertoys for the man. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/266205-praise-cl-pallet-racking.html

I've got about 20 "sections" of racking set up. All 9' to 9.5' beams. I recently bought 12 more beams 12' long I plan on putting in 2 more sections. My uprights are 8' and 12'.

I've tried to set up most of it with 1 shelf "working" height, one shelf about 2 feet above, then if there's room more shelves. I usually put down on the "working height" layer a sheet of good 3/4 plywood topped by a 3/4" thick sheet of MDF, makes for a great smooth heavy duty work surface.

Before
8x6rv.JPG
After
8x6SAM_0768.jpg

more 8x6SAM_0773.jpg

more 8x6SAM_0727.jpg.

I've "reconfigured" about 3 sections when I had a change of purpose.

I've just about reached the point that all the first 2 shelf layers are full or partially so.

/ Please post your pallet rack solutions... #8  
shelf2_zpsbf342a3e.jpg

shelf_zps1b9dda73.jpg

Picked up at a local scrap yard,,, they will easily hold over a half ton per shelf,,
I have loaded them that heavy,,,,

/ Please post your pallet rack solutions... #9  
shelf2_zpsbf342a3e.jpg

shelf_zps1b9dda73.jpg

Picked up at a local scrap yard,,, they will easily hold over a half ton per shelf,,
I have loaded them that heavy,,,,

Looks like the zombie shelf!

/ Please post your pallet rack solutions... #10  
I have a lot of shelving plus about 40'of pallet rack and always looking for more. Look at how much space is open between 6' and roof of shop. Buy used and make sure you get all you think you will ever need because there's many brands that will not interchange and buying new parts later is expensive.
Like many things,the bargins are in auctions. Be prepared to buy several because lots are usually large. Building 1 or 2 racks might be ok but not being able to easily reconfigure is a big disadvantage. With rack and shelving,I store heavy items on floor under several racks rather than all heavy organized on same racks. 50% of heavy fabrication on the farm around here include's used oilfield pipe due to cost. Might not be cheap or available in some places. Some use 2 3/8 legs and cut collars from 2 7/8,burn holes through both for pins. Farm and ranch stores sell a jig for cutting cross ends for 90* weld fit up with collars. Jig is just a piece of pvc used with soapstone and sold for pipe fence construction.