Creating shallow drainage ditch

/ Creating shallow drainage ditch #11  
Hi...

Digging dosen't have to proceed the along the length of the ditch...
..can dig at 90 degrees (or any angle) to it with the loader/backblade... may take longer... easier to do ? better/worse results?

I dunno... I'd try going both ways & choose best one.... or use both...

Dave...

/ Creating shallow drainage ditch
Thanks to all for the good information. I thought the angle adjustment on the box simply angled left and right, not up and down. I'll spend some time with it this evening. What exactly is a Top and Tilt?

Glenn - the pictures are exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm in Alexandria, and we're swamped from the rain. I got my tractor one week ago and managed to put 4 hours on it before the rain started. It hasn't stopped since. I'm on 3 acres in town, and I've got quite a bit of trapped water on the back of my lot I'm trying to get to the road.

Thanks again for the tips - what a great forum!

/ Creating shallow drainage ditch #13  
"I thought the angle adjustment on the box simply angled left and right, not up and down",,,
Sounds like you have a back blade instead of a box blade, as I never saw a box blade with a left/right adjustment.
The top link on your 3pt hitch is length adjustable. Changing the length of the top link will make a difference in how the cutting edge of the box blade cuts into the soil. Most of the box blades I've seen had two cutting blades, one within the box for pulling dirt and the other on the back side of the box for pushing in reverse. The angle of approach can be adjusted by "rolling" the box using the top link.
Looking at your tractor from the rear, there is a vertical link on the right lift arm that is adjustable also. Changes in the length of this link will allow adjustment of the angle of the implement, from level with the ground, or lower the right side to the desired angle to create your "swale" or ditch. I have seen tractors with adjustable links on each side. See the attached photo.
Top & Tilt refers to replacing the manually adjusted top and side links with hydraulic powered links enabling you to make adjustments without leaving the tractor seat.

Watching the weather channel and it looks like you're STILL getting heavy rain down there. We didn't get but an inch yesterday and only a few light sprinkles so far today. We've had about 14" since this particular rainy spell started so we need some relief too.

Attachments

• 450904-P6070006.jpg
    450904-P6070006.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 505
I fiddled with the adjustments on the box blade and was able to lower the left side about 3-4 inches lower than the right - a perfect angle for cutting a shallow ditch. I couldn't wait to try it, so Saturday I tried digging in the rain. I now have one of the most astounding mudholes in my yard that anyone locally has ever seen. My son spent most of the day Sunday traversing it on our 4-wheeler, mainly because it annoyed me so much, and because it amused my "not so happy with my drainage project" wife equally.

Anyway, I'm glad my new tractor has 4 wheel drive. We got another inch on Sunday afternoon, and 1/2 inch today to make things even nicer. The neighborhood kids have developed an amazing fascination with my mudhole, and the monster truck race analagies are pretty much the center of conversation. Back to the drawing board -

/ Creating shallow drainage ditch #15  
I think you'll get much better results if you analyze your problem while it's wet, possibly determining the best routes for the ditches, approximate depths, etc and wait for drier ground to do the actual ditching.
By lengthening the adjustable side link on your 3pt hitch you should be able to get a greater drop than 3-4" I would think, but I'm not familiar with your tractor. Most of the adjustable links that I've seen have about six inches of extension capability which would translate into a pretty drastic angle on the blade. Good luck with your project at any rate.
We finally had a day without rain yesterday, and so far today has been partly sunny with none yet but thirty percent chance tonight. Looks like a system moving through the central part of the state this evening (your area probably). A week of sunshine will help everything here but it'll be like a sauna again.

/ Creating shallow drainage ditch #16  
blakesfav, I know exactly what you are going through. I also need to dig a few shallow ditches for drainage, have a new tractor, and rain that just won't quit. I'm just north of Galveston, Texas, so we're getting the same rain.
Hang in there. It's supposed to be clearing up in the next few days.

KiotiMutt

/ Creating shallow drainage ditch #17  
KiotiMutt

I know what you are going through. I lived in Dickinson for 30 years and decided when I retired to get out of there. Now live in NE Brazos County up on our little hill. Nice sandy soil so it all soaks in and doesn't flood even though we are just shy of a years average rainfall so far this year.

Vernon

/ Creating shallow drainage ditch #18  
Besides the tilt using the lift arms adjustment, use the rippers down more on the LOW side and less on the HIGH side. by a notch or two. this way the ground is tore up in the low spot more... remember as the tractor leans to one side as you get more and more dirt out of the swale you will need less and less ANGLE TILT on the lift arms!... same for the rippers. once you near what you think will be enough dirt removed then raise the rippers. it is easier to remove MORE dirt than to put it back and compact it!. save the top soil too. then spread it back out and re-seed... also if you MOVE the clay bottom soil to one spot. perhaps remove the top soil there first and that way you can cover the clay with THAT top soil...

Markm

/ Creating shallow drainage ditch #19  
Leave the boxblade level but tilt the tractor!

Here is what I did in a similar situation when I had one day to pass a grading inspection. I took multiple deep swipes with the boxblade along the path of the proposed 200' ditch, taking out about a foot of dirt (making a flat bottom ditch).

Then, I drove (along the path of the ditch) with two wheels in the ditch and the other two on the high ground to cut the angle. Keep the inside edge of the blade near the center of the ditch and go along both sides to create your "V" in the center.

I thought of doing exactly the same thing, but I was concerned that it would end up too wide. I have a limited space between a fence and an old oak tree, and I'm worried about damaging the root system on the tree. It rained here again today, so my mudhole, and tractor, sit idle.