Creating shallow drainage ditch

/ Creating shallow drainage ditch #1  

blakesfav

Tractor
Kubota B7610
I'm a novice tractor user - trying to figure out how to cut a shallow drainage ditch with a box blade and FEL. Is there any way to angle the box blade so that only one corner digs in? This might get me started. I want a gently sloping drainage ditch that will grow grass and still allow me to mow it. Any tips? Thanks -

/ Creating shallow drainage ditch #2  
you should have an adjustment on your 3ph to set the angle for your boxblade. It may not be enough angle, depending on the depth that you want your ditch.

/ Creating shallow drainage ditch #3  
You can use the loader to make a notch in the dirt. Then you can smooth out and do final grade with the box blade.

The way I cut with the loader is to bring the level bucket six inches up from grade. Curl it down with a little pressure into the dirt. Go forward. It'll cut, without teeth too.

Then as it gets down a bit I'll lower the bucket as I level it out.

If you have forks for your loader you can use just one as a ripper. Then you can excavate the clods with the loader and then do final grade with the box blade.

I've found the hardest thing to do is to remove just a couple of inches while cutting with a loader. You have to be really on top of your game.

/ Creating shallow drainage ditch #4  
Using the jack screw (side adjustment) on the three point hitch, tilt the blade to one side. With it this way, go down your purposed ditch one way and back up the other side. It will go much faster if you drop the rippers down. The first few trips, you will think that you are not getting anywhere, but have patience. It will take a while, but can be done. I have made drainage ditches 4-5 feet deep doing it this way.

/ Creating shallow drainage ditch #5  
Where are you in Louisiana? It sounds as though it’s just as wet where you are as it is here! I used my box blade set with a “tilt” to make my ditches, but when I got about 12” or so deep I used my FEL to move dirt quicker. At one point I used a middle-buster in the center of the ditch to get more depth, set one side of my tractor tires in the trench, and dug with the FEL. It’s easy to get the ditchbank too steep this way.
The first two attachments show shallow swales across part of the pasture/yard to help with drainage around the house and shop.
The next four show a ditch I dug along the property line south to north about 600 feet to drain the back corner of our 20 acres into a bayou. The pictures don’t depict the ditch depth very accurately, but where it drains into the bayou I probably had to cut down five feet, and to keep a grade on the sides of the ditch where I could cut it stretched out pretty wide. You’ll be surprised how much dirt you’ll pile up so plan on what you’re going to do with it!

Attachments

• 450528-Ditch-1.jpg
    450528-Ditch-1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,706
   / Creating shallow drainage ditch #6  
Pic 2

Attachments

• 450529-Ditch-2.jpg
    450529-Ditch-2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,327
   / Creating shallow drainage ditch #7  
Pic 3

Attachments

• 450531-Ditch-3.jpg
    450531-Ditch-3.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,447
   / Creating shallow drainage ditch #8  
Pic 4

Attachments

• 450533-Ditch-4.jpg
    450533-Ditch-4.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,035
   / Creating shallow drainage ditch #9  
Pic 5

Attachments

• 450535-Ditch-5.jpg
    450535-Ditch-5.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 953
   / Creating shallow drainage ditch #10  
Pic 6

These pictures were taken last year. Top&Tilt is a very worthwhile addition to the tractor for work like this!

Attachments

• 450536-Ditch-6.jpg
    450536-Ditch-6.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,143