Poor Man's Grapple

/ Poor Man's Grapple #1  

GregJ

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2301/LA435FEL/BH70 ; John Deere X350
Poor Man\'s Grapple

We live on high bank waterfront and have to maintain the bank in front on a regular basis. Today I helped my neighbor clear his bank. We have alders that grow like weeds. If they are not cut down on a regular basis, they will work the bank in the windstorms and eventually cause serious erosion, not to mention that they eventually will block the view if we don't clear them. BT....( <font color="blue"> B </font>efore <font color="blue"> T </font>ractor) /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif We used to drop them on the beach and spend all day (at least) burning and getting rid of the limbs and branches. Now that I have a tractor, I can get down to the beach, haul them up and run them through my chipper. Green alder makes great mulch/compost. So, today's project took about 2 hours, instead of 2 days. Here is a picture of the "cut" that we use for access to the beach.

Attachments

• 451391-Grapple3.jpg
    451391-Grapple3.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,046
   / Poor Man's Grapple
Re: Poor Man\'s Grapple

Here is one of the loads that I hauled up the cut.

Attachments

• 451392-Grapple1.jpg
    451392-Grapple1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 920
   / Poor Man's Grapple

A view from the drivers seat.

Attachments

• 451393-Grapple2.jpg
    451393-Grapple2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 739
   / Poor Man's Grapple

Here is my exotic set up. Total investment..... about a buck and a half. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Scrap 4x4's, plywood gussets and a couple of bolts through my toothbar holes.

Thought I'd share.... This sure makes my life easier..

Greg

Attachments

• 451397-Grapple1a.jpg
    451397-Grapple1a.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 983
   / Poor Man's Grapple #5  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If they are not cut down on a regular basis, they will work the bank in the windstorms and eventually cause serious erosion )</font>

I always thought vegetation of some sort was good to prevent erosion, but I assume wind rocking a tree can loosen the soil around the roots? At any rate, nice looking forks for hauling the brush.

/ Poor Man's Grapple

Bird,
That is a common misconception around here. The roots prevent erosion, but if the tree gets tall enough, during our wind storms it will have so much leverage it actually works the roots loose and can take a significant chunk of dirt with them as they slide down to the beach. The bank is nearly vertical, so these trees are barely hanging on as it is. We also can get some pretty incredible wind storms. I never disturb the roots or the low lying vegetation. Anything short helps keep the bank stable. In general, we drop anything taller than 20 feet. (I think these alders grow about 10 ft/year /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) In some cases, if the trees fall up hill, I leave them, because they provide more stability for the natural vines, etc. as they rot.

Greg

/ Poor Man's Grapple #7  

Necessity is the mother of invention. Which by the way, can be a mother in it's own right. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Your "cradle" is a great tool.

/ Poor Man's Grapple

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> Necessity is the mother of invention </font> )</font>

When I was a teenager, I always said...."Mother is the necessity of invention".... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Poor Man's Grapple #9  

Did you ever notice the invention only worked till Father got home? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Poor Man's Grapple #10  

Hahaha! A ghetto grapple! Great!

Hey, I love "field expediency". It separates the blister bait from the smart workers. I can tell just at a glance that it works just great.

I made a ghetto fork/ramps for my mower out of 2x6's. I got tired of slithering under my 42" riding mower to sharpen or change blades and to chip the dried grass out from under the deck. Now I just drive the mower on, lift the front loader and mower all up to a comfy working height. It's a poor man's lift, actually. Arent FEL's great?