Moving a Pole Barn

/ Moving a Pole Barn #11  
Why not put up the poles of the barn in the new spot, and then move the skin of this one to there. Sounds like it might be more sound then anyway, and while it is tempting to do it all at once, I would think this one should not be done that way.

/ Moving a Pole Barn
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Why not put up the poles of the barn in the new spot, and then move the skin of this one to there. Sounds like it might be more sound then anyway, and while it is tempting to do it all at once, I would think this one should not be done that way.
)</font>
That may be the way I'll go.
I'd hate to have the thing rack on me or fall apart while moving it, then it would be more of a mess to straighten up at the ne location.
I'm still waiting on someone to take a look at the job - I'm sure everyone has experienced that waiting game!

/ Moving a Pole Barn
Had one guy look at the job.
He said he would remove the skin, move the poles, and then re-skin it for $11,000! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
If this is the going rate, I may go into the barn moving business myself!
Of course, his quote did not include the new concrete pad, which I would have to get in place first.
He said he could get started "right away" (I'll bet he could!).
Seriously though, is this a common price? Sounds grossly overpriced to me.
Eric

/ Moving a Pole Barn #14  
Dont know for sure, I have less than 10,000......a lot less in my 28x32, new from the ground up. Me thinks this guy is planning vacation, and you are paying for it, for his whole family.

I would think that you would not want rotten or rotting poles etc. I know that no matter how good the thing looks, or how cheap it is done, if it falls down next year, you still have a pile of metal and wood.

/ Moving a Pole Barn #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( .....the new concrete pad, which I would have to get in place first.)</font>

NOT TRUE! My 28 x 40 was built and sat for a year before I had my 6" fiber reinforced concrete pad poured. Going on 2 years now and only perimeter separation. Worked for me. G

/ Moving a Pole Barn #16  
Almost forgot, $11,000 is way to high. Keep looking. G

/ Moving a Pole Barn
Thanks for the feedback so far, guys.
I have found that for $11K I can get a new, nicer, and bigger building built at the new site, so this guy is definitely looking for a nice vacation.
I'm still trying to get some more quotes to move this one. It's hard to even get anybody to show up (for anything, it seems). Seems that the whole contractor/trades industry works on its own schedule - theirs. That's why I like to be as independent as possible - saves that "waiting around time."

Eric

/ Moving a Pole Barn #18  
You are missing something, good op to tell the better half how much you SAVE by buidling NEW over moving the old..............Makes no sense to move when you can build new.........it works for me, I get a new BX23 this week, trading in a one year old BX 2200, just so I can plant her bushes, move some stumps, dig a ditch, and build a bigger pond................lots of seat time /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif (I mean work /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) with the new and BETTER tractor. You did say bigger? barn, right?

I would never move the old one, unless of course you can get it done REAL cheap, but kind of doubting that. It is as much work or more to move that one than to build a new one. You have first put up poles, both require that, put up framing, again both, but on taking yours down, you have to do that, THEN put it back up, which you would have to do on a new one. Check out any packages that builders suppliers have, they are really less expensive, and you have NEW.

Show her some photos of finished barns, that should do it.

/ Moving a Pole Barn
Like your thought process, Danny /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
We're building a new house and the existing barn must be taken down so we're not looking at the back of it forever, but I do need one for the tractor and equipment.
Worst case, I could take down the barn and sell the parts to help defray the costs of a new kit-built one.
This would still likely be cheaper than that absurd quote I got the other day.

Eric

PS - Congrats on the new tractor!

/ Moving a Pole Barn #20  
This person has done itby himself, no machines. Might have to buy the video though.

I dont know how instructional he gets but might help

the forgotten technology