Rebuilding an 1840's barn

/ Rebuilding an 1840's barn #1  

JimR

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
Rebuilding an 1840\'s barn

Here is the first shot of the rebuild. I will post more as we progress on it. In the last two days we removed the rafters and all but the first bay center floor. The real fun starts with the side wall removal without taking out the front wall. That wall will be braced well before we knock out the side wall. This barn has been under rebuild since 1983. It has had most of the walls underneath rebuilt by myself, one of my brothers and my father in law when he was alive. We lifted this barn 13 inches in the center. The center was also pulled over 9 inches to straighten the side walls. I should have listened to my father in law in 83 and tore it down. I would have a nice steel building now with no maintenance. The wife wanted it restored instead. My daughter will be moving into the old farmhouse (circa 1735) in a year or two.

Attachments

• 458129-DSC01717.JPG
    458129-DSC01717.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 704
   / Rebuilding an 1840's barn #2  
Re: Rebuilding an 1840\'s barn

I have an early 1900's barn here that you can straight'n up when you get finished. Looks like you do good work!

/ Rebuilding an 1840's barn

This will be my only barn poject if I can help it. I still have the house to restore after the barn is done. A few years ago I did the entire roof on the house including installing new rafters. My next project is getting a well sunk and putting in a septic system for the farmhouse. I still need to do the siding, rewire the old place and insulate the walls to cut down on the heating bill. I've done the plumbing and installed a new boiler at the farm.

/ Rebuilding an 1840's barn #4  

Jim,

We have a 20'x40' barn built in ? (it has wooden pegs holding the frame together and used to have a slate roof until it was replaced with tin about 10 years ago). Had to jack up the front of the barn up about a foot, used concrete blocks to keep the front from sinking, added a number of 6"x6" for bracing so that it won't twist itself apart. Next we have to replace the tin roof then reside then replace the flooring on the 2nd story then rebuild the lean-to that was added on then pour concrete floors on the first floor. Gotta love the older buildings - but they do have character.

/ Rebuilding an 1840's barn #5  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I should have listened to my father in law in 83 and tore it down. I would have a nice steel building now with no maintenance. )</font>

Perhaps, but I for one am glad you didn't listen to his advice. Old timberframe barns have a special place in my heart.

For anyone else reading, there is another choice if you can't afford to repair and restore such a barn. You can sell the barn. They come to your place, mark all the pieces, dismantle it, and rebuild it somewhere else. They replace broken or rotted pieces. If it's in bad shape, then they buy the timbers and either use them in other frames they are restoring, or they slice up the beams for flooring in expensive houses. Either way, the wood is not wasted.

Cliff

Cliff,

You need to remember that this has been an ongoing project for me for 21 years. The rest of the barn is now sound. This is the last corner to do and the worst. I have replaced all the sills and roof sills plates on this barn already. This project has been very trying and tiring. I can't wait till it is over with. I think we may use tin on the roof also. It will hold up much better during the winter months here. This barn is 36'x60' 2 1/2 stories.

/ Rebuilding an 1840's barn #7  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Cliff,
You need to remember that this has been an ongoing project for me for 21 years. )</font>

It is an extraordinary effort in preservation. I feel like the world of the future owes you a big one.

Cliff

The bigget loss for me on this project was when my kids were little. My spare time was spent saving this barn instead of spending time with them. I can never get this time back again.

/ Rebuilding an 1840's barn #9  

I agree with that loss statement of yours. I got 'lucky' in a way...We recently picked up this place that was built C. 1860. Not sure when the barn was rebuilt, but whenever it was, it wasn't done right. But, having waited as long as I did to get one, my oldest is nopw old enough to help with the big chores. (He's 35). Here's some barn pics:
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mrcaptainbob/album?.dir=/7a22&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

/ Rebuilding an 1840's barn #10  

Jim, here in New York state there are 2, count em, 2 different programs that provide technical and financial assistance in the form of grants, loans or technical assistance, all in the name of perserving early barns such as this one.

I would check to see if MA also has this and I would be surprised that one of the nation's birthplace states does NOT.

It's never too late. You are now an integral part of that barn's history, whether you like it or not. This is a good thing.