Weed control under fences

/ Weed control under fences #1  

Spitz

Tractor
Very Soon
So I've been on my new horse farm for about 6 months, and learned a big lesson for the first summer - a lot of fences means a lot of weed wacking. What a pain!

So I got this idea... if I put something along the ground under the fence as a barrier to weed growth, then I can mow alongside and I won't need to weed wack. I am thinking of laying boards flat between the posts, but afraid of things like warping and freeze-thaw troubles.

This would be used to control weeds under electric tape fences for the horses, and/or wire mesh fences for the dog. In both cases, I have 4x4 wood posts on about 8ft centers.

Anybody have a great idea for this... or seen one somewhere?

/ Weed control under fences #2  
I had (have) the same problem. I use a hand wand to spray Round-up under the wire in the Spring. It generally keeps down the grass and weeds under the wire all growing season. Next year, I do it again.

/ Weed control under fences #3  
Use a product called Sahara and spray when you first see growth in the spring. You won't have to worry about it until the following spring.

/ Weed control under fences
Wow - you guys are quick! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Will the Sahara be safe for animals? How long should I wait after spraying to turn out horses / dog? Can you recommend a link or someplace to get more info...? Any comments on cost?

Thanks!

This sure sounds easier than the construction project I was contemplating...

/ Weed control under fences #5  
The Sahara is safe for animals. It costs $26 for a 2lb. box and that will make 20 gallons. I sprayed fencelines on 600 acres with only one box.

/ Weed control under fences #6  
Richard

Could you give me the link to the manufacturer of Sahara if not what is the active ingredient

/ Weed control under fences #7  
Yeah, I 'third' what these other guys have been saying... spray the fence line. I use Round-Up. So much nicer than weed wacking for hours on end.

The previous owner of my place laid old fence boards down underneath the fence to discourage growth, and I spent hours pulling the rotted, overgrown things out after we moved in. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Weed control under fences
Well, I decided to let google do a little work, and here's what I came up with.

http://www.ent.uga.edu/pmh/Non-Cropland/Weed_Control.htm Scroll down a page or two, and one finds a combination of diuron and imazapyr (must be a joke... I'm a Zapper) that appears to trade under the name Sahara DG. Sounds like just the stuff we're talking about.

Here's a place that sells it. Sahara

/ Weed control under fences #9  
That's the stuff. I wouldn't pay $49.50 for it though!! I get it in the 2lb. jugs for $26.00.

/ Weed control under fences #10  
I had been using Spectracide Grass & Weed Killer concentrate...you can see the results overnight, but it doesn't hold very long...lately i've been using Amine 2-4-D from TSC, doesn't work overnight, but holds a long time...a 32 oz bottle is about $15, as i recall.