Best tool for scattered gravel

/ Best tool for scattered gravel #1  

PaulT

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 2710
What is the best implement for gathering the gravel that has scattered to the edges of my driveway? I have an 800 foot long driveway with a #2 crushed rock surface. I live in snow country, so I plow it with a pickup and western multi-angle plow. I just ordered a Kubota 2710 with a box scraper (I told the wife that I can now re-grade the driveway instead of paying someone else every other year/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif). I should get the tractor this week. I think I got a pretty good deal - $24100 with fel, 60" mm mower, 4672 hoe, filled r-4s, howse box scraper.

Anyway... from reading the archives here, I have come to believe that a box scraper is the best tool for maintaining the driveway (if only I had a hydraulic top link...). I am not sure that it is the best tool for getting the 2" rocks back up from the side of the drainage ditches. Also, I have a parking area at the end of the road, in front of the house, where I usually build up a pretty large snowbank about 40 feet wide and 4-6 feet deep. This is where I end up after each pass over the driveway. The gravel that doesn't get plowed to the side of the driveway gets embedded in the big snowbank. When it melts, the gravel ends up in the grass, down a moderate slope, about 10 feet away from the edge of the parking area. It seems to me that a landscape rake is the best tool for gathering all of this gravel up each spring, but could I do it with the box blade? would the blade scrape off the grass too, leaving new dirt to regrow grass each year?

What about the angled sides of the ditch along the driveway edge? can I get the box blade tilted enough to scrape the gravel up from there?

I am trying to get away with not buying one more thing right now, but if I really need the rake to do it right, I guess I'll break down and buy it. I plan to visit an auction on Thursday, hoping to find a good, heavy duty used one for the price of a cheap new one.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

PaulT
Soon to be the pround owner of a brand spankin' new Kubota 2710

/ Best tool for scattered gravel #2  
Paul, do not know much about snow and gravel, but I do know about a long driveway and gravel. On my driveway a box blade does little good to move gravel back on to the drive way. I drag a long a ways down the driveway and then have to back across the drive to hook it and pull it up on the drive. Then you have a big pile that needs to be spread out. You need an angled blade that can be offset not to waste to much time wise.. I have the best of both worlds, my neighbor who shares about the first 1/3 of our drive has a big heavy duty blade that can be offset, and I have a good box blade.

/ Best tool for scattered gravel #3  
I have had good luck with your situation by backdragging with my loader bucket. It is probably a alittle late this year, but I try to do this when there is still some frost left in the ground, but enough has left to loosen the gravel. I thing a stone rake would be the best way. I hope to get one soon!

/ Best tool for scattered gravel #4  
Paul,

I work about a mile of gravel road at our weekend home and here is what works for me. I use a box blade most of the time because our gravel is pretty packed in and I am cutting pot holes and ripples out. When I need to clean the ditches and pull gravel in from the edges a rear blade with off set is my tool of choice. When there is fresh loose gravel on the road I often reverse the blade and just work the gravel in from the sides as traffic packs it in. I would not try either tool on your grass. I don't believe you will be able to grab the gravel without taking the grass. I know some on the forum use a rake on loose gravel but, I don't think it will do much to cut out any high spots.

Congrats on the new tractor.

MarkV

/ Best tool for scattered gravel #5  
Paul, First, congratulations on your new tractor! I have a 300' long gravel driveway which I keep clear in the winter with the FEL on my B2910 and a 6' rear blade. Between the two, I move a fair amount of gravel into the grass. What do I use to move it back on the driveway in the spring? A hand rake /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif. And I have the blisters to prove it /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. I wish there was an easier way to do it without tearing up the grass, but haven't found one yet. On the other hand, it's always nice to be out working in the yard after a long winter /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif. Keep us posted as to what you come up with.

Jerry
<font color=orange>SE Minnesota</font color=orange>

/ Best tool for scattered gravel #6  
Have to agree with you Jerry. I use a rake as well. I"ve tryed other ways and just wind up tearing up the grass.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Best tool for scattered gravel #7  
I agree...God invented tractors for most jobs, but he also invented hand rakes for other jobs.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

You may try using a York style 3-Point rake offset to "pull" the crushed rock back into the driveway and then use the York to disperse the stone across the driveway...

But, I still think you'll end up with the good ole' hand rake...hey have you got some kids that aren't doing anything?.../w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Best tool for scattered gravel #8  
For the gravel in the grass, try using a shop vac. I find it does a nice job of picking the gravel up without hirting the grass.

/ Best tool for scattered gravel #9  
That's what my neighbor does! Couldn't believe it, but he said it takes a little less time but a lot less blisters /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

mark
markcg_sig.gif

/ Best tool for scattered gravel #10  
Try offering your kids (or neighbors kids) 1 buck or two per bucket of stones. . . . .

I usually wait till my kids want to by something. . . . make an offer. . . .(and keep an eye on them else they fill the bucket with gravel from the driveway/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif ). . . Two years ago it cost me $18 (nine buckets) to clear the stones. . . . IT WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY!

Steve
"Amateurs built the Ark. . . . . . . .Professionals built the Titanic"