Machinery lay down area project

/ Machinery lay down area project #1  

Theowegian

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 HST
Im building a 20' by 20' "pad" that I can park my trailers and implements on. In the future, maybe I'll build a pole shed over this area. I would like any comment you might have.
thanks, dwight

Attachments

• 465668-pix1.jpg
    465668-pix1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 330
   / Machinery lay down area project
Here's a little more fill dirt and gravel.

Attachments

• 465670-pix2.jpg
    465670-pix2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 256
Now its ready for limestone screenings, to make it level, keep the weeds out and turn to concrete!

Attachments

• 465671-pix3.JPG
    465671-pix3.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 246
The last picture. Almost complete. 15 tons of dirt plus 5 tons of commercial limestone screenings packed with the tractor. Total project time: 7.5 hrs.
dwight

Attachments

• 465674-pix4.jpg
    465674-pix4.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 284
   / Machinery lay down area project #5  
I was getting worried. It took 3 pictures before the tractor finally showed up! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How big is the finished pad going to be? I know you already have the basic size all laid out, but if you might add a pole barn later, you might want to consider making the pad a bit bigger. Based on experience and other comments from guys who have built pole barns, you never can have them large enough.

Nice project for some seat time! Keep us posted as you continue with it! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Machinery lay down area project #6  
Handy pad to have. I'm curious as to why you didn't excavate first, though, or at least scrape off the grass and topsoil. It could get mushy in spring, even with a nice cap of crusher run like that.

Good question.
Actually, the area I selected was an old cattle loading pen, that grew little grass. Previous owner put a lot of crushed concrete in there. It would have been difficult to work. In fact, that was one reason I chose that location...poor topsoil, mostly gravel anyways, finally it was close to a pretty good part of the driveway where the cattle trucks would load up.

Also, notice that the maple stakes are all crooked. Horrible to get them in straight!
dwight

/ Machinery lay down area project #8  
"poor topsoil, mostly gravel anyways, finally it was close to a pretty good part of the driveway where the cattle trucks would load up ..."

That sounds like my front yard!