Questions on barn

/ Questions on barn #1  

rlee6

Silver Member
Tractor
Allmand 8435 HST (TYM T330 HST)
I have yet to build a barn for storage. Please tell me where I should start?

1) LOCATION OF BARN: How do you decide where to build a barn? Say I have a 1300' square lot. Would you build it at a corner or on the side? Near the road or the other end? One side of the lot has power poles. Should the barn be near the power to save the cost of power connection? Face east or north or...? What factors determine the location?

2) SIZE OF THE BARN: What determines the size? Does a cattle farm need a larger barn because of hay?

3) OPEN VS CLOSED: Is there an advantage of open barn other than cost savings?

4) WOOD VS. STEEL: Does steel cost less? Does steel last longer? Is steel a better building material for storage barn (not a barn house)?

5) FOUNDATION: A concrete slab? But I also saw pictures of barns built on concrete foundation along the perimeter with dirt floor. Is dirt floor for specific reason or just cost savings?

I know I must first build some storage shed/barn. I just don't know where to start. Thanks for your help in advance.

/ Questions on barn #2  
You've asked us a lot of questions, I think you need to ask yourself some:

What is the use of your barn? Storage? For what? Work area? Livestock?

What is the use of your property? Do you live there? House there?

From these questions come many others. I cannot speak for a farm operation but I suspect the barn requirements are considerably different than mine. I am a suburbanite. For me the barn is storage for property tools. Needs to be in reasonable walking distance to the house and needs to be aesthetically pleasing relative to the architecture of the house. Right now I only have a mini-barn. It's close to the house and looks nice.

Eventually, I'd like to have a larger barn for camper storage and perhaps some project work (tractors, cars etc.). This barn will be further from the house but of similar style.

Most importantly, define your useage and style constraints. Based on those criteria, the rest should fall into place /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Questions on barn #3  
Check with the local zoning official first. He'll tell you where the barn can and can not go. Usually the only place left for the barn is not the most convenient for you.

Rich

/ Questions on barn #4  
first, what are you going to use this barn for? storage, livestock. I built 40x60'x12 wood framed metal sided pole barn that is basically a large storage shed for tools and toys,with a compacted gravel floor. the wife and daughter are still waiting for their horse barn. and it is pretty full now. The very first thing I did was bring in a whole lot of fill and raised my build site about 2'. I have seen to many horse, or general purpose pole barns that get wet. because the site was not raised or drainage was an afterthought in selecting the location. do lots of planning.

/ Questions on barn
Thanks for the replies.

First, it will be a cattle farm, a very small one. The barn is for the storage of equipment and hay, I guess. No horses. Eventually, house will be there. But I would like to build a barn before a house.

Second, the parcel is in the ag zone, and the county has no restriction on the location of the barn. Only restriction is no impenetrating floor in flood plane.

HH,
How much do you think it will cost to have a barn like yours built in today's dollars?

/ Questions on barn #6  
If you're thinking it's for cattle, you need to then think what you will be doing with it.

Milking - need stanchions and a place for a small milk cooler? Milk houses must have a concrete floor and washable walls around here. I think that's pretty common. If you aren't selling milk, not as much a big deal.

Beef - Box stalls are fine. You'll want to make sure you can clean them though. Wood floors will work, but repeated scraping with FEL will mess them up good. Then again, concrete isn't too friendly for the cow's joints.

Either way, you'll need to store hay (I'm assuming). Raised wood floor is great for this since it allows proper air circulation and reduces moisture touching the hay. If you are using square bales, try a second story hay loft to save ground space.

Just some ideas. I find it very useful to draw a picture of the inside, layed out how you want it. It seems concrete floors are the most common in these parts, though they seem to be bad for hay storage in my opinion. I think they are mainly popular since they are easy to clean.

You also mentioned equipment storage. Dirt floors are just fine for this. However, if this is your shop area as well, it's kinda nice to have a concrete floor in the tool part of the shop. Keeps tools level and is just an all around nicer working place. (Easy to sweep too...)

Just my $0.02

/ Questions on barn #7  
The most important consideration in locating your barn, IMO, is what you're gonna use it for. If for animals or hay storage, put it far enough away from the house, and downwind, so you don't get the critter smell. And even if you have a rat guard built in, you WILL get mice in there from time to time. Also, you might want to consider putting it close enough to your existing road or driveway, so that your vehicles can get to it and not leave too many tracks and new roads that could get sloppy.

/ Questions on barn #8  
all good replys, expecially 8nxs with locating the barn DOWN WIND of the house, yet you have no house, but then I would say, WHERE do you WANT the house, then consider WHERE the barn will best fit.

you will want the house facing front of property or sideways,
with GOOD access with a high dry area for drive & parking, and then good site for septic and drain field.

sound like you want a few beef cows and not to milk. milking needs lots of cows and space as well as lots of upfront costs for pasturizeing equip ect. one or two for personal use and breeding is fine. but milking is HARD work with not a lot of pay.

I would say a 2 story barn is best bet, hay loft up stairs and beef down , at least 1/2 should be set up for storage of equipment, set barn facing North/South or East West with Prevailing Winds so they do not cause undue wind sheer/stress on the structure if possable. you will need Open Pasture area for roaming of beef. electric considerations are great, usually though electric in a BARN is not a major problem as usually just a few lights, not much more as FIRE is a big possability especially with HAY & Equipment stored inside!!! Lake and or DEEP well will be needed for the beef as well they take LOTS of water and should have stream with year round flowing, good access to it and or good water trough setups. answer these questions and thoughts for you're self and keep the ideas in you're mind, you may end up changin the thought process some>?

Mark M
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Questions on barn #10  
Good link, thanks.