Veteran Member
    Tractor
    7275 Cub Cadet

Default I Beam weight????

Does anyone know what a 16 foot 12" high by 4" wide I beam would weight? TIA

Tractor
    Kubota L5460HSTC

Default Re: I Beam weight????

How thick is the section?

If you can figure out the volume (make it simple, three rectangles) use this calculator to get weight.

allmeasures -steel

Example if it was 1/2" thick - (12*.5*192)+(4*.5*192)+(4*.5*192)=5760 cubic inches

Simply imput that into the calculator or multiply by .283lb/in^3 and you get 1,633 lb. Get a friend to help you lift it [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Substitute actual thickness for the assumed 1/2".

This is a rough estimate as it doesn't take into account the rounds in the I beam.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    7275 Cub Cadet

The gentleman said it was 1/4" but that he thought it was 3/8". I will need to measure it to be sure. I need a Gantry crane beam for my garage. I guess that it would weight in somewhere between 1/2 to 3/4 of the beam weight that you gave me. Thanks for the info.

Veteran Member

Jim

Go to this link i beam i think is the same as universal beam here in oz you will need to convert from metric (best i can do)
    http://www.southernsteel.com.au/pricelist.htm

Been lurking for a while. I beam is measured by web and weight. 12x50, 10x35, etc. the web is how "tall" it is, the second is how much it weighs per foot. So the 12 x 50 would be 12" tall and 50 pounds per foot length. You might want to try this link for more information: http://www.efunda.com/math/areas/RolledSteelBeamsS.cfm.

12" x 4" is not a standard size.

Good luck.
    Edge

Tractor
    MF 150

From information from www.efunda.com , it looks like your beam could 12,16,19 or 22 lbs/ft. See attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    JCB165HF

When you order I beam it's by the height and pounds per foot generally. I was talking to my supplier yesterday pricing twelve inch at fourteen and sixteen pounds per foot. Sixty feet of sixteen pound was four hundred and twenty dollars, ouch.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota F2400, Kubota F2100, Farmtrac 360, Tool Cat

Take the cross sectional area in square inches & multiply by 3.4 and then multiply that by the length in feet.

You need to be more specific on what the beam is. There are W12x14, W12x16, W12x19 & W12x22 all with your specifications.

Yooper Dave

JimR

Edge and wroughtn harv are very much correct in that beams are called out by height and weight. If you could give me some key dimensions I have steel design manual that I can look up the weight per foot in...

I would need the exact dimensions of the following

the height of the beam
    the width of the flange
    the thickness of the flange
    the thickness of the web

The other option is like some one else posted you can calculated the weight of the components

Knowing the fact that a 1' x 1' x 1" thick piece of steel weighs 40.8 lbs

The flanges for example would be 4" wide and 1/4" thick for a W 12 x 14 (12" high and 14 lbs per foot length)

4"/12" x 1' long x 1/4" x 40.8 = 3.39 lbs per 1 foot length
    there are 2 flanges one top and one bottom
    2x3.39 lbs per 1 foot length = 6.79 lbs per foot length

The web for that same beam is 11 3/8" high and 3/16" thick

11 3/8" / 12" x 1' long x 3/16" x 40.8 = 7.25 lbs per foot length

The sum of the flanges and the web = 6.79 + 7.25 = 14.04 lbs per foot length which is close enough to 14 lbs per foot due to rounding of the decimals.

Say your beam is 10 feet long then multiply by the weight per foot

10' x 14 lbs per foot = 140 lbs