Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere M 1951, John Deere LA 1941

Default Pole Barn Trusses

I'm looking at putting up a 30x40x10 barn. I was wondering about how much each truss would weigh and how could they be put up without a FEL or fork lift.
    I'm looking at a menards building, are these worth there money?

thanks
    mark

Tractor
    JD 4110

Default Re: Pole Barn Trusses

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I was wondering about how much each truss would weigh )</font>

Depends on the type of truss (sizor, king post etc) also on expected load(are ou putting in a second half-floor or storage), but Menards should be able to give you this info.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm looking at a menards building, are these worth the money?)</font>

Menards (sort of a home depot, but different) does what Sears used to do. They sell kits for the building in question. They sell small sheds up to 4 bedroom houses for the homeowner to put together himself. I've heard good things about the quality of the lumber etc, and from what I've seem in their sales flyers, the price looks pretty good. They have sales once in a while, so wait for one of them if you can. They are having one right now, I believe.

They expect you to contract the foundation or floor yourself seperately.

Cliff

Tractor
    Jinma 284

yep all depends on WHAT the truss is made form, Ive seen ones made using 2x2's and I would difinatly stay awy from those! usually most trusses can be set by hand with a bit of assistance 2~3 people. really BIG ones do get heavy if they are built well...

menards sounds like CARTER lumber around here, wh ouse/have pretty good plans and materials. never been to a menards though.

Mark M

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    MF 1455v 4wd, 1040FEL

Mark,

Volumes have been written in this forum alone discussing trusses and pole barns. I would suggest you do a search for "trusses" and read a while.
    You'll find plenty to read.
    Regular gable trusses in the size you mention shouldn't be any problem for two or three people to raise. This link will be a good one to get you started.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere M 1951, John Deere LA 1941

Thanks everyone for the information.
    I'll call tomorrow and find out how much a truss weighs.
    I've looked into the building and a 30x40x10 pole barn kit form menard will run 6-7K plus delivery&amp; tax.
    14' slider on front and 9' slider on side
    Is this about right?
    I can't believe how high the steel prices are over $6 more a sheet from last year.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830 DT & B2710

30' Span trusses made of 2x4's should weigh approx. 95-110 lbs each. This assumes a 4:12 roof pitch and So pine lumber.
    To determine So Pine lumber weight in lbs per ft, divide the cross section area by 4.
    Example:
    A 2x6 weighs (1.5 x 5.5)/4 = 2.06#/ft.

Tractor
    2003 New Holland TC24D

That sounds about right. My garage is 30' + 1' overhang on each side w/ 4:12 pitch made of 2x4s. Two of us were able to pick those up and move them around fairly easily. It was amazing how heavy they became though when we were setting them up on the garage at the end of a 14' pole connected to the loader of my little TC24. The trusses themselves were OK, but on the end ones that we had built the 2' overhangs onto w/ a 2x6 on the outside it had trouble and had to have a little bit of help. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Jim,
    Those end trusses WERE heavy [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Tractor
    2003 New Holland TC24D

Yes they were. You should've seen how we set the front one. Nobody was there except for my B-I-L, F-I-L, and me on the tractor. I think Monica may have been holding the guide rope. I was able to get the truss going up, but then got it up about 4 feet off the ground and ran out of uumph, B-I-L started climbing the building and lifting on the truss to provide the extra boost [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]. We got it....... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Century 3045, Ford 2000

Just be careful
    We were tearing down our pole barn and I was on a ladder lowering one end of the truss down when the other side slipped and smashed my hand between the truss and the ladder! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
    What was really bad was trying to finish dropping the other trusses with only one good hand [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast