Scrap Metal Recycling

/ Scrap Metal Recycling #1  

herdfan

Gold Member
Tractor
Century 3045, Ford 2000
This may not be the right place for this post, but . . .

We just tore down our pole barn to re-assemble it at a different spot on our property. We clipped the nail heads on the metal before removing the pieces, but we couldn't salvage much of the siding or roof due to it being so fragile. Many of the pieces were bent, dented, cracked/split during removal. Anyway, since we would have to replace a bunch of the siding anyway, we plan on putting up a conventional roof and siding to help it blend in with the house.

I know the price of steel/scrap metal is at or near an all-time high, but the recycling places we have contacted don't seem interested in this steel siding. Has anybody tried to sell this stuff for scrap?

/ Scrap Metal Recycling #2  
herdfan: my brother ended up getting a full load of the stuff exactly how you described. it was a tear out and there was enough damage to make re-use not worth while. anyhow no one would take it and pay for it at all and most said not to bring it. so they gave it to my brother he was going to build a boat shed just to keep off leaves and after a few weeks it just ended up being fence row weed killer & a place for mice to hide...

you can put it down under the base of the NEW BARN to help concrete sub soil ! add a few " of sand toss em down and sand over top. the base would then never get any HOLES under there. hahaha;)

Mark M

/ Scrap Metal Recycling #3  
I had the same problem - *all* the buildings on my property were roofed with that ugly galvanized steel sheeting, and most of the sheets were curling up and leaking. I've been ripping the stuff out as fast as I can. I had hundreds of pounds of the stuff, and I had to pay someone $200 to haul it away because nobody would take it.

/ Scrap Metal Recycling #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I had the same problem - *all* the buildings on my property were roofed with that ugly galvanized steel sheeting, and most of the sheets were curling up and leaking. I've been ripping the stuff out as fast as I can. ... )</font>

So what are they roofed with now?

/ Scrap Metal Recycling
My pond excavator suggested that I use the old metal to build a frame to drape my geotextile fabric on behind my basement wall and retaining wall so I could form a defined space for my gravel between the cut and the walls and fill in on the backside of the metal with the dirt. That way I can fill in with 12" of gravel instead of 2-3 feet! That'll save some $$

I figure I can also use some to patch up my dump truck bed.

This might save me more money than what I would get if I could sell it for scrap.

/ Scrap Metal Recycling #6  
I took all the leftover pieces of steel siding from my barn to the local scrapyard. They weighed the trailer full & then empty and paid me the going rate at the time. There are several steel mills in the area & most of the scrap is sold to them.

/ Scrap Metal Recycling
Where bouts are you located, Ron?
I'm in the Huntington, WV area.
Eric

/ Scrap Metal Recycling #8  
Hi Eric, I'm about 12 miles west of Steubenville.

/ Scrap Metal Recycling #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( So what are they roofed with now? )</font>

I'm replacing everything with 'architectural' comp roofing shingles. They look really nice - although I can see why the original builders went with the galvanized metal. I've had to re-frame everything (original framing was 36" OC, just enough to support the metal sheets at the edges) and put down plywood sheathing before being able to lay the shingles. It's been a giant pain - but definitely worth it. I think I've done about a hundred squares so far - and that's taken me two years. On the bright side, with all the roofs removed, it's been easy to run new wiring, HVAC, and insulation in the buildings - did I mention that the buildings were all insulated with pulverized redwood bark and all had single-circuit knob-and-tube exposed wiring? The rats/squirrels/racoons loved it...

/ Scrap Metal Recycling
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm about 12 miles west of Steubenville )</font>

I was hoping it was a bit closer, so I could have a nearby place to take some of this stuff. Oh well, I think I can find some other creative uses for it.