NEED HELP - Water shut off @ street bent must fix

/ NEED HELP - Water shut off @ street bent must fix #1  

hazmat

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460HSTC
Getting new driveway. Had digsafe mark utilities.

Water dept says my "gate box" is bent. Says I should fix it before driveway. They are unable to turn off water if we were to have a problem.

Can I do this myself with mini-excavator? It is 6' down.

Tips or tricks I need to know about?

/ NEED HELP - Water shut off @ street bent must fix #2  
I was under the impression that the "Gate bbx" (Buffalo box) is the property of the city. If it was your property, then they wouldn't really have the ability to use that valve to shut off your water if you don't pay. I would check what is code (civil code), and if it is really your responsibility.

Dave

/ NEED HELP - Water shut off @ street bent must fix #3  
I agree with Dave, I always thought that was the city or counties problem. Your problems don’t start until the line leaves the meter.

MarkV

/ NEED HELP - Water shut off @ street bent must fix #4  
Usually the shut off is their responsibility. You are usually responsible for the line from the shut off to the home. The meter is theirs and their responsibility, but the piping on both sides of the meter are yours. I would call the Water Department head man/woman and discuss it with them. If the valve was damaged while you were "repairing" it, then who would do that repair. No question about that in my mind. If they still insist that it is your problem, then I would call a plumber before messing with it. If it had been installed properly the first time, then there is no reason that it should be bent. It isn't like it is sitting above ground. Would they want you to maintain the fire hydrant in the front lawn if that was hit and bent??????? If you had done something to damage the valve, they could bill you for this, but the repair is their jurisdiction in any event in my opinion ... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ NEED HELP - Water shut off @ street bent must fix
The water dept guy said it was my responsibility. He said he didn't agree that it should be, but the Board of Water commissioners made the rules not him. I get the feeling that this has been fought before.

I called my plumber & left a message, but I don't think they dig.

My buddy who worked construction thru college guesetimates $1,000 to have a sewer/septic excavator come in and fix it.

/ NEED HELP - Water shut off @ street bent must fix #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My buddy who worked construction thru college guesetimates $1,000 to have a sewer/septic excavator come in and fix it. )</font>

Uneducated response (very little excavation experience)......

That seems a little high to dig a hole, unthread a the riser assembly, screw a new one on and then re-fill the hole.

10 hrs @ $100/hr /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dave

/ NEED HELP - Water shut off @ street bent must fix #7  
a backhoe could dig that hole in less than an hour. I also would call the commissioner and ask if they will do the repair if you open up the hole? Seems strange that they wouldn't want to control who is messing with their pipes. What happens if the problem is with the pipe and not the valve? Who gets to deal with that? Start calling the mayor and councilmen in the town and start to raise a little ruckus about this. I believe that they might get the ball rolling in your direction. Pose the questions that I have asked. Policies can and do change when they are brought into question by reasonable people. Offer to pay them to do the repair and ask how much it will cost. Who installed it in the first place?

/ NEED HELP - Water shut off @ street bent must fix
West Newbury Water Dept Rules

Looks like it is my responsibility to fix it. Just called water dept back - they won't fix it for $$$. Nice secretary recommended a couple local contractors.

/ NEED HELP - Water shut off @ street bent must fix #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Looks like it is my responsibility to fix it. Just called water dept back - they won't fix it for $$$. Nice secretary recommended a couple local contractors. )</font>

Bummer. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dave

/ NEED HELP - Water shut off @ street bent must fix #10  
drill a well!!!!!!