I THINK I NEED A SANDBLASTER

/ I THINK I NEED A SANDBLASTER #1  

tc35dforme

Platinum Member
Tractor
TC35D/16LA
Hi, I'm putting on an addition and will be opening the new area basement up to the existing basement. The existing foundation wall, which will soon be a dividing wall in the basement, has asphalt waterproofing mopped on. I want to sandblast that black tar off on the wall that will become an inside wall.

I'm looking for the cheap way out /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif....anyone have any experience with these econo style blaster sold by Northern Blaster ?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

/ I THINK I NEED A SANDBLASTER #2  
I had a similar sized and type of rig from Sears and they're handy for some things, but I'll be surprised if you accomplish the job you're talking about with one of that size and type.

/ I THINK I NEED A SANDBLASTER #3  
When it is put on, it soaks into the pores of the concrete. That stuff doesn't come off very easily and it will take an industrial sand blaster and a very large commercial compressor to run it, if you want to blast it off. Save your money and just stud the wall with 1"X2" furring strips and sheet rock.

/ I THINK I NEED A SANDBLASTER #4  
Junkman,
I'm sure thats what I"d do as well. Unless someone else knows of something that will strip it off, but it'll never be pretty to look at later.

/ I THINK I NEED A SANDBLASTER #5  
Junkman, I agree completely. Sandblasting will only poke holes in that soft pudgy coating. Studs/furring strips is the way I would do it for sure.

/ I THINK I NEED A SANDBLASTER
Wow....replies from Bird, Junkman, Jinman and the Inspector and they all say no...then its NO to the sandblasting idea /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I wouldn't go against that group of experience !!

Thanks guys....never been a sandblaster driver, but I've seen the work that they can do and thought that even if it takes off a 1/4" of the concrete it would be better than having that tar, insulation adhesive and embedded dirt staring at me.

Oh well...out of sight out of mind....sheetrock ...actually MR board it is. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ I THINK I NEED A SANDBLASTER #7  
Now if you can get all them to help build the wall /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ I THINK I NEED A SANDBLASTER #8  
I would scrub the wall with dish washing detergent and water before you open it up. This way, it will be clean of any debris before the floor is poured. A pressure washer might be of some help to cleaning the dirt off of it. Follow the information about insulation and plastic in the floor from the many threads posted before.......Junk.....

/ I THINK I NEED A SANDBLASTER #9  
I may have lost the plot here, but i doubt whether you will ever get the asphalt out of the porous cement as already mentioned. But i would have thought that heat gun and scraper would remove the bulk of it with out to much effort. It may also just as easy to cover it with fibre cement sheeting and flush it off.

/ I THINK I NEED A SANDBLASTER #10  
If I wanted to coat the inside of a pipe or container to make it withstand sand abrasion, asphalt would be high on the list. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Maybe apply heat and scrape it, then use paint thinner to get most of it. Maybe then it can be primed, but I doubt it. Maybe just lay on a coat of stucco or cover it with wood. <shrug>