ATV Sprayer

/ ATV Sprayer #1  

R_Gator

Couldn't seem to find exactly what I was lookin for, so I built a designed a turf sprayer to use own my own property. Besides my limited welding skills, I also decided not to go with a large steel boom, as I have several barns to spray around, and the larger sprayers are difficult to manuver. Mounting the sprayer to a 4-Wheeler offers a wider range of speed options, meaning I can cover as much ground as a larger sprayer, by simply driving faster. I mounted a 3-GPM Shurflo Pump to the top of a 25 Gallon Poly Tank and drilled the holes for the Suction & Bypass hoses. Also mounted on top of the tank is a TeeJet 144A Electric Valve, a Manually Operated Throttling Valve, and a 0-60 PSI Pressure Gauge. The hose plumbing is standard 1/2" 1-Braid EPDM Hose, outfitted with Banjo Quick Lock Fittings. The hose (which I leave attached to the ATV all the time) carries the water & chemical from the pump on top of the Poly Tank to the Spray Boom Mounted to the ATV's front rack by some L-shaped brackets, U-Bolts & Wing-Nuts. The Boom is basically (2) .75" S.S. Pipes that have been threaded on each end and joined together with a Poly Pipe Tee towards the middle. Each pipe has been drilled with (2) holes (one for each nozzle) at the correct spot, so their is exactly 20" from the center of each and every nozzle across the entire boom. The Nozzle Holders clamp onto the S.S. Pipes, using an O-ring seal to prevent leaking. I chose to use the TeeJet Flat Fan XR8006 Spray Tips, although the options here are endless depending on the pressures and types of chemical you're spraying. In addition to holding the Spray Tips, the Nozzle Holders have built in 8-PSI Diaphram Check's, meaning they will prevent the tip from dripping, once the pressure drops lower than 8 PSI. This keeps the boom from dripping chemical where you dont want it (I.E. your wifes flower garden) once the Spray Switch is OFF. The Spray Switch is just a Dimmer Switch from an automobile.. On my ATV, I mounted it through an existing hole in the Left Floor Board. Assuming the pump swith is on... depressing the Spray Switch opens the Electric Valve mounted on the tank, allowing product to spray from the Front Spray Boom. Depressing the switch again closes the valve, cutting the flow of liquid from the boom. The Spray Switch doesn't shut off the pump (thats controlled by a small toggle switch mounted on top of the tank), but controls the electric valve which "dead-heads" the pump. Because the pump has a built in pressure switch, it does shut off, but immediately engages once the valve is opened.. I designed it this way, so the hoses and sprayboom remain primed all the time. The sprayer will easily put down 40 Gallons per Acre @ 4MPH @ 30 PSI, but the throttling valve allows you to bypass or bleed off some of the pump flow when a lower pressure is desired. Although I designed and assembled the sprayer, every part was purchased, so I cant take credit for any parts fabrication. Additional photos and a parts list avaiable upon request.

Attachments

• 491112-ATV-1.jpg
    491112-ATV-1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 829
   / ATV Sprayer #2  
I really like that setup, but when did you mount the boom on front? Does it not blow back on you as you drive?

I just bought a new Foreman and I've been looking a setup like this and just like you hate them long booms. The seem to get in the way.

JH

/ ATV Sprayer #3  
Hey Gator, great ATV spray setup, very fine work.
Could you post parts list, vendor source and boom dimensions on forum for us?
Also, is it possible to shut off certain nozzels when they are not needed?
Like when spraying the sides of the driveway, one side at the time.

thanks,

/ ATV Sprayer #4  
gator great set up!
I have a northern sprayer that has 60psi pump. i have been thinking of how to build a boom. where did you get your parts ?

I think i want mine on the back of my atv but your set up would be easy to adapt to that.

I only see one problem with your picture........... the polaris! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ ATV Sprayer
You are correct... Having the boom up-front makes it easier to see, but you do get some drift, so I try to limit the spraying to calm days. Even though I dont have one....I would suggest everybody use one of those charcoal respirator masks when spraying.. regardless of the sprayer. I dont think it would be difficult to move it to the rear as soarkrebel mentioned. In fact if a person is going to locate the boom on the back, it would be nice if the mount was adjustable.. alowing the boom to adjust up and down, as (because of the overlap) different nozzles work best at different heights. Although its not electrically controlled, you can purchase caps (look like the nozzle only they dont have a hole in the center for the spray tip) for a couple bucks each.. Because I used the quick change nozzle bodies, you just spin one, two or three of the tips off, and replace them with caps, blocking the flow from those nozzles. You will need to turn the throttling vavle,as you have less usable tips, but if you match the pressure to wherever you had it set when all four tips were spraying... you just drive the same speed as you had previously figured, and the sprayer will put down the same rate. I have some finishing (pig) barns on the property and they have rock around all four sides. By capping all but one tip, I can just drive around it instead of using a wand. I purchased all the parts from www.sprayparts.com, but the majority of them could be purchased anywhere. I have some Word doc's (about 6 of them) showing the parts and part numbers, but cant seem to fiqure out how to get it on here? I dont have them on a website... Anyone know how this is done?

/ ATV Sprayer #6  
Nice job on the srayer! I took the easy way out and converted my 15g tow behind for use on the L3410 FEL. I used 6' galvanized angle for the boom (adding a nozzle) and just clamp it to the bottom of the bucket. Put 12v power to the front with a switch near the seat and I'm all set.

/ ATV Sprayer #7  
Nice setup. I too prefer spraying with my atv over my tractor because the atv is more stable on the steep slopes in my yard. I also have a wand that I can hook up to it when needed. I got the tips for my boom from Rural King (similar to a TSC) and made the boom out of 1 inch angle iron. I have a Warn multi-mount system on the atv which is intended for switching your winch from front to back. I've fabbed a bracket that inserts into the rear multi-mount to hold the boom, and an "L" shaped piece that attaches to the boom that allows me to adjust the height. I've also made a bracket for the multi-mount for my electric seeder. Here's a couple of pics of my sprayer setup.

Side View

Rear View