Cuckle Burrs - How do I stop them?

/ Cuckle Burrs - How do I stop them? #1  

Liberty

I have a farm with some new ground on it.
I think it was bull dozed and sewn this spring, Cuckle
burs are coming up in way to many places.
How is the best way to respond, bush hog ?
Spray? If so when and what, Thanks Liberty <font color="red"> </font> <font color="black"> </font>

/ Cuckle Burrs - How do I stop them? #2  
You could spray. But regular mowing will do it. Don't know where you are located, but around here they mature and go to seed around late August. The parts of my pasture that I mow several times a year have no burrs. The part that I tend to neglect will have a lot unless I mow at least twice a year.

/ Cuckle Burrs - How do I stop them? #3  
Bush Hogging now may only spread more seed. Is there enough undergrowth to burn this area once it dies back?

/ Cuckle Burrs - How do I stop them? #4  
Spraying with 2,4-D will kill them and other broad leaf weeds. I would spray now and again next year before they produce seeds.

/ Cuckle Burrs - How do I stop them? #5  
every time I move some dirt i get more cuckle burrs. I thank the seeds lay dormant untill you uncover them. Thanks

/ Cuckle Burrs - How do I stop them? #6  
There is a liquid selective herbicide, IMAGE, by Ambrands, specifically for Sandburrs, Nutsedge, Annual Bluegrass, Wild Onion and Dollarweed. [ "24 FL. OZ. TREATS 6,000 SQUARE FEET" ]

Quite a common herbicide. Available at Loews/Home Depot.

In Florida the pesky Cockleburrs/Sandburrs germinate over the entire Spring and Summer so repeated applications are necessary.

When I use fill dirt from the community burn pile Sandburrs still germinate; tough stuff. Each prickly nut contains 60-80 seeds. That is why Cockleburrs/Sandburrs often germinate in clusters.

I treat my lawn and the landscaped traffic circle near my house. I use a 1-1/2 gallon pump up hand sprayer.

I have not found 2,4-D effective, personally.

Last edited:
   / Cuckle Burrs - How do I stop them? #7  
Thanks, I have nutsedge its nasty.

/ Cuckle Burrs - How do I stop them? #8  
every time I move some dirt i get more cuckle burrs. I thank the seeds lay dormant untill you uncover them. Thanks

You meant porcupine eggs? We used to tell the city kids that they were porcupine eggs and if they'd take them home and put them in the ground they would hatch porcupines.:laughing:

cocklebur.jpg

I take sand from the mouth of a creek where it empties into my lake. That sand is full of "porcupine eggs." I just pull them out of my garden when they are young and easy to manage. Eventually, the population drops to the point of not being a problem. Luckily, I don't have a sandbur problem from that same sand yet.

/ Cuckle Burrs - How do I stop them? #9  
You meant porcupine eggs? We used to tell the city kids that they were porcupine eggs and if they'd take them home and put them in the ground they would hatch porcupines.:laughing:.

Jim, you mean they aint porcupine eggs!!:D

Spraying with 2,4-D will kill them and other broad leaf weeds. I would spray now and again next year before they produce seeds.

X's 2, works great. I used it each spring in my hay fields, usually mid-March. Does well when the plant is young and growing.

/ Cuckle Burrs - How do I stop them? #10  
A hot batch of 2,4 D will get them , 4 oz to a gal .Don't use roundup , that's probably why you've got them .