Can this pine be saved??

/ Can this pine be saved?? #1  

GerardC

Elite Member
Tractor
KIOTI CK20 GEAR.
The high winds that we had over the weekend uprooted this tree /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Doesn't look to me as if the roots were very deep to begin with and the trunk did not grow straight. The 2 trees are growing next to the road behind a bank. Would like to save it but never had this kind of problem before.

What would be the best way for me to tackle this.

Thanks. Gerard

Attachments

• 526000-IM001276 %.jpg
    526000-IM001276 %.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 608
   / Can this pine be saved??
A close up of the roots. Gerard

Attachments

• 526001-IM001271 %.jpg
    526001-IM001271 %.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 485
   / Can this pine be saved?? #3  
The pictures are very dark, particularly the first one. Could you re-post?

/ Can this pine be saved??
Yes, they are on the dark side. I'll have to take some others tomorrow. Gerard

/ Can this pine be saved?? #5  
Lightened up the pic a bit (added brightener). You may be able to dig out under the root ball and get it to drop back into the hole. Then 'tie' the tree and hope the roots grow out to hold it better. But you are taking a chance. Doubt it is bad enough to kill the tree, so just tieing it may be sufficient for your needs.

Attachments

• 526026-2tree.jpg
    526026-2tree.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 440
   / Can this pine be saved?? #6  
Pine tree root systems are pretty fragile and don't like to be disturbed. You could mount up some dirt over the exposed roots and wash it in with water. I don't think you will be able to right the tree and have it as it was before without doing more damage to the root system.

Also the remaining roots will have to hold the tree against future wind. When spring time comes and the ground gets soft another good wind could finish the job. The tree behind it is the only thing saving it from coming all the way over.

Too bad, it looks like a nice tree.

Randy

/ Can this pine be saved?? #7  
It apppears to have "blown upright". I would stake it down with a length of wire rope, using a "come-along",cover the roots with topsoil and see what happens

/ Can this pine be saved?? #8  
Go ahead and take it out. It is pretty close to a prettier specimen that does not need the competition.

/ Can this pine be saved?? #10  
I am sure no expert with this sort of thing. Having said that, it's my experience that if the trees interfere with each other as much as they appear to be doing then both suffer. At least that is the case on my parents property where they have more pines.

I would sure hate to cut something that nice down but it might be the best thing.

Mark