Help - Restoring a 1945 Crane/Dragline

/ Help - Restoring a 1945 Crane/Dragline #1  

LWFrisk

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deeres, 212, 420, 425
Hi guys

I have a 19 year old nephew that has become a collector – He loves the tractors and truck, but has found a rather different machine to collect/restore.

He found and purchased a small crane/dragline. I do not recall the brand but will attach a photo. He has it running and working. It did not have a bucket, but has found one that will work on this machine. He has replaced several of the clutches and most of the cables. He has spend a lot of time cutting off the junkyard welded ballast and repaired some of the misused/damaged parts. His major problem is finding an exhaust manifold for the 1945 Chrysler industrial engine. The manifold is a three piece casting with the center section exhaust and intake and separate extensions to the end exhaust ports that are machined to fit inside the center section and a steel “O” ring to provide a seal. It is pretty badly broken and in several places.

Brandon is located near South Bend In. He is somewhat new to computers and will be joining the group in the near future. He is visiting here in San Diego and will be returning in the next few weeks.

If he gets it operating to a dependable point, he wants to hire out to dig ponds to gather enough funds to do a complete restore.

The identification numbers for the engine (which he has committed to memory) are:

1945 Chrysler, Ind 15-A, 39” Block, Serial Number 3555, Type 540

If any of you happened to visit a bone yard or salvage yard (that is where he found the crane), please take note to see if you can help him. Brandon grew up in San Diego and visited family located in Indiana. He fell in love with the farm and has spent the past 3 years working there. He grew up helping his dad restore an International H and a John Deere (I don’t remember the model), a gamma goat and several other “collectibles”. He is a remarkable young man and I would appreciate any help/ideas that any of you might have.

Thanks for any help, advice or information

Leo in San Diego

Attachments

• 536287-Brandon\'s-Crane.jpg
    536287-Brandon\'s-Crane.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 750
   / Help - Restoring a 1945 Crane/Dragline #2  
Hi. There are a couple of salvage yards for tractors around South Bend(at least they are within an hour's drive). When I get a chance I'll look up a few. They have some construction equipment, so maybe he'll get lucky, or at least a tip on where to look.

Make and model of the engine sure helps. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here's a link to some tractor salvage yards in Indiana.

/ Help - Restoring a 1945 Crane/Dragline #3  
www.ytmag.com is a site like this one, but for older tractors. I believe you could fit this into one of the 'oddball' or such catagories - there are some good people around there that really know old stuff....

--->Paul

/ Help - Restoring a 1945 Crane/Dragline #4  
If it's a Bucyrus Erie, I've been told the parts are still available from the company that now holds the rights. They'll supply anything even if they have to build it from scratch. Might be a bit pricey.

/ Help - Restoring a 1945 Crane/Dragline #5  
Looks like a fun project Leo, if Brandon needs some help have him get a hold of me. I've always been fascinated with cranes and he's right here in my neighborhood /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Help - Restoring a 1945 Crane/Dragline #6  
Leo,

Another source is old boat salvage yards. I believe that engine was used in the larger vessels in the 1940's and 50's. There should be lots of those around Indiana.

Good luck Brandon, and welcome!

/ Help - Restoring a 1945 Crane/Dragline #7  
well first off, nice looking crane indeed! i wish i had it, secondly, those straight sixes were used in everything from waterpumps to generators and even early medium duty trucks, some measuring and comparing may find that a car or truck manifold may even fit with a little modification to the bolt holes or such, i know a few times i have had to make new holes or elongate holes in manifolds to fit old stuff, and another option is to simply fabricate a manifold, not as hard as it sounds, i usualy like to use square tubing with a .250 wall, but i made one once from 1.5 inch id pipe, its just more work with round cause ya gota notch all the joints. another thing is about hiring out for ponds, theres alot of engineering that goes into a pond so make sure thats all in line if he does that so that its not his fault if something goes wrong and a dam breaks, and also with a machine of that age its kinda risky takin on jobs like that, a few for friends is ok but ya gota watch it especialy cause alot of states have strict laws on crane inspections etc, you may find crane insurance costs more than its worth, and if your gona work on other peoples land you need insurance especialy with a crane, good luck and have fun, infact take some pics and dimensions of the manifold and i will look in the barn and old engine pile outback i may possiblye have what you need

/ Help - Restoring a 1945 Crane/Dragline #8  
You know, Rob, that crane looks familiar. Of course, all old cranes look familiar, but I've seen one similar to that around here. Wonder how close to South Bend he is? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Help - Restoring a 1945 Crane/Dragline #9  
He did say IN South Bend, didn't he? I know of one similar along the river at Auten Rd. but I've seen them all over as well. A friend pointed out one to me the other day near my house. Can only see the uppermost section of the boom, and only this time of year (no leaves). I'd ridden by there dozens of times but never noticed before /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif