Cinder Block Calculator

/ Cinder Block Calculator #11  
There are several types of mortar used for laying block. I typically use type S and the standardized formula (by volume) is:

1 Part Hydrated Lime
2 Part Portland Cement
9 Part Sand

You can buy premixed mortar (Hydrated Lime & Portland Cement) in a bag. Then you just add 1 part premix to 3 part sand.

Water is rarely specified in mortar mix because of the variables. You add water until the right consistency is reached.

Attachments

• 558916-block.jpg
    558916-block.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,394
   / Cinder Block Calculator #12  
Here in central NC we buy Brixment brand mortar mix in 74 pound bags and mix in 16 shovels of sand for brick/block construction.

/ Cinder Block Calculator #14  
How i can use this calculator :rolleyes:

Well, when I clicked on the link it gave the dreaded 404 error page. So I just used backspace to remove to the last "/" & that still gave a 404, then I backspaced to the main website. That worked. Then clicked on the education link at bottom.
Then I saw the correct link for the calculation: Calculators | Quality Construction Materials | Pennsy Supply

It seems their website has gotten an update or two along the way eh?

/ Cinder Block Calculator #15  
Cinder block issue aside, I would go with two doors instead of one. I had a house with one wide door and the cars seemed to edge to the center making it easy to get out of one and difficult to get out of the other. Two doors keep the cars in their right places. You might just consider having one of the doors taller and wider depending on your particular set up. If possible I would also recommend a "daylight" drain centered under each parking space. Nice way to get the snow melt out of the garage.

Doug in SW IA