It's Finally Cleared.

/ It's Finally Cleared. #1  

SCB

Platinum Member
Tractor
bx 23
It\'s Finally Cleared.

Well I finally got around to posting the pictures of my land clearing. The first set is before and during the excavating with the trackhoe(that was fun). The second set was taken after it was cleared but the fog was out and there was alot of slush still on the ground from snow the week before. Alot of the stumps were taken out with my bx, but these big ones were a job for the larger equipment. If you ever get the oportunity to run one of these, I highly recommend it! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

trackhoe

cleared

Forgot to put the other link in for the pictures of the logging

logging cleanup

/ It's Finally Cleared. #2  
Re: It\'s Finally Cleared.

Wow! Some people know how to have fun.
Fun=Power
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ It's Finally Cleared. #3  

Nice job, I cleared about 1 acre on my site. Cut almost 200 trees down, then had a guy come in with a D6 dozer to push out the stumps and do some leveling.

/ It's Finally Cleared.

I think we counted about 80 trees. Most of them were 3-4 feet in diameter at the stump top. How did the d-6 do at removing the roots. Did it have a root rake on the front?

/ It's Finally Cleared. #5  

Those are some great shots. What size was the trackhoe? Weight and HP?

I was really impressed with pictures of it just pulling the stump out of the ground. Could you do that on all your stumps? Did you have to cut any roots at all, or just grab and pull the stumps right out?

/ It's Finally Cleared.

Eddie,
I'm not sure of the hp or weight. It was a Hitachi 220 on a 300 frame. I split some of the stumps by ramming the teeth into the stump top and then removed half at a time. I think the unit could have pulled them all whole, but I was splitting some of them to match the fire I was burning at the time. It made it better stacking if some of them were half size. The overall thing I kept thinking about was how smooth it operated. It was easier to run than my little backhoe on my BX. Just being able to throw them in the air and hit the ground to dislodge the dirt was awesome. I got to where I could time my throw and release and just fling them onto the pile. We had a burn pile that was roughly 30 feet in diameter by about 20 feet high. If you like fires, it was a site to see. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ It's Finally Cleared. #7  

Looking good. I just went thru the same thing, I clearsd out a 400' drive and then the house and shop site . I also dug the basement.
I will agree with the fact that the bigger the equipment the easier and smother it is to operate. I ran a grading business with a Cat 931 for years and then had to do a job with another contractor that had a Cat 955L . I would load dirt at 1 site with my loader and then spread it at another site with the 955. It made my 931 seem like a toy and I hated to get back on mine after spreading 6or 8 loads with the 955

/ It's Finally Cleared. #8  

I had the same thing done to my property when we bought 3 years ago. However, I paid an un-employed friend to have most of the fun. Saved a whole lot of rental time and I did get some stick time after my regular work day.

When I torched the piles, I rented a gas powered fan that put a 30mph wind on the pile. Made for a REAL hot fire, way less smoke and ate the large stumps in no time. It actually created a chimney in the pile and we would drop a stump on top. Cut the burn time down considerably.

/ It's Finally Cleared. #9  

SCB, my land is very thick woods, so my trees were not as big as yours. Mine on average were in the 12-18" diameter. He did not have a root rake, but did manage to pull most of the roots with the blade. He also did a bit of leveling, so most of the roots were removed. That of course left me with a lot of partial roots mixed in with the dirt. I'll be doing some more leveling and root raking over the summer.

/ It's Finally Cleared.

Larry,
I did the same thing with the fan but it had a deisel pump on it which really helped also.

Joe, I know what you mean. I have some root raking to do also. Thankfully I now have guage wheels on my rake for the final pass.