2 acres, a house, 700 stumps, and a pile of dirt

/ 2 acres, a house, 700 stumps, and a pile of dirt #1  

unclroy

Tractor
JD4410
I have purchased and read, "Compact Tractor Buying & Basics" - I decided to purchase the book even though I felt that it was a bit pricey because I wanted to support the website. I have been reading many of your posts and realize that while the book was an excellent primer, they real value lies in these forums. I must say that I appreciate everyone taking the time to help each other and the quality of the knowledge that is shared. Well.... having gotten that off my chest.... I too seek your advice. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

My project is a 2 acre lot that is now bare except for the house, two huge piles of stumps, and 2 piles of dirt. I hired a fellow with a track loader to dig up about 700 pine stumps left over from a little logging operation and the dirt is the topsoil that was salvaged and another pile of fill dirt that came out of the hole that the house was built on.

In addition to leveling the dirt and preparing to plant grass seed, trees, shrubs, etc. I will need to re-route the driveway, build a garage, build a small pole barn, run water and electricity to the barn.

The lot is fairly level with a slight grade to the rear. There is one section towards the back of the lot that is prone to holding water. The track loader had a bit of a time in there and left some pretty deep ruts. I am surrounded by woods and pretty well secluded except for the road frontage.

My plan is to purchase a used tractor with a FEL - do the necessary landscaping and then sell the tractor... probably in a year or so unless the Mrs. decides that I should keep it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and I would do that to keep her happy. My expectation is that if I bought a used tractor and kept it for a year, I should be able to re-coup most of what I put into it. If I buy a new tractor, I expect that I would lose about 20% in depreciation and would have to compete with new tractors when it came time to sell in a year. Renting a tractor for this size of a project would probably cost a few thousand dollars and my time would be dictated by the availability of the rental equipment.

I would appreciate your feedback, comments, suggestions, etc.

/ 2 acres, a house, 700 stumps, and a pile of dirt #2  
I would say you are on the right track. You will need a larger (30 hp +) tractor until you get it in shape. Then probably something quite small (sub CUT maybe) for mowing and maintaining. Sounds like you may plan on having animals so having a tractor with an FEL would be nice.

/ 2 acres, a house, 700 stumps, and a pile of dirt #3  
My first tractor was a 1987 JD 755 that I had for two years. I traded it to the dealer for my Kubota and he gave me exactly $8.00 less than I paid for it. Either I got a real good deal when I bought it privately or the value held tremendously well. The trade was last year so I was dealing with a 17 yo peice of equipment.

Regards,
Kevin

/ 2 acres, a house, 700 stumps, and a pile of dirt #4  
I agree with BB TX. You'll need something of a good size like a Kubota L35 to get things started. Backhoe attachment and a boxblade would do really nice for getting everything set and then you can decide what you want to do afterwards

Blake
WA.

/ 2 acres, a house, 700 stumps, and a pile of dirt #5  
My favorite rule of thumb with tractors, is bigger is better.

I'm also a big fan of buying used with the intention of reselling it when I'm done.

Having said that, you should remember that used comes with issues that you shouldn't encounter when buying new.

I have two used tractors, and I've spent thousands of dollars repairing them plus more hours working on them then I want to remember. If you are handy with tools, willing to fix it yourself, and have realistic goals about used equipment, then go for it.

If you're planning on selling when your done, I'd seriously check the prices on renting on a monthly basis. My local New Holland heavy equipment dealer said he'd rent me a 80 hp brand new dozer for $3,000 a month.

Good luck and don't forget to post pictures.

/ 2 acres, a house, 700 stumps, and a pile of dirt
Thanks for the feedback guys... I am looking at a JD4500 with JD460 FEL on Monday - $14,500 is the asking price with 500 hours and a 2001 model.

I want to buy used... but not too used. My main concern is that when (if) it comes time to re-sell I want something that should move rather quickly. If I buy something that is only 1 or 2 years old, I should not have to be too concerned about anything going wrong (keep your fingers crossed) and I won't lose the 1st year depreciation which seems to be the worst of it - basically because you have to compete with brand new when you try to re-sell.

Eddie your comment about renting...

<font color="blue"> If you're planning on selling when your done, I'd seriously check the prices on renting on a monthly basis. My local New Holland heavy equipment dealer said he'd rent me a 80 hp brand new dozer for $3,000 a month. </font>

is something that I have been chewing on for some time. I can rent a CUT with a FEL for about $700 a week and I figure that it is going to take me about 4 weeks. The total cost of renting and delivery will exceed $3000 and I don't have the ability to devote a full week at a time. I figured that if I bought a tractor and required implements that I should be able to sell them in 6 months to a year for pretty close to what I will have to pay. Even if I sold it for $1500 less than I paid I would have had the convenience of working on my schedule and will save over $1500 to boot. If I had to put $1500 in repairs, I break even but still had the tractor at my beck and call.

<font color="blue">Good luck and don't forget to post pictures. </font>

I will do that Eddie as soon as the ice melts I will get out and take a couple of pictures to post. It really is quite a sight and looks like a bomb hit it right now.

I really appreciated your pictures of the "stuck girl" Eddie... in fact my wife and I had quite a chuckle and I realized that if I have such an encounter... at least she will know that I am not alone. They say a picture is worth a thousand words and I think that if I got in such a predicament your picture might save me from having to hear a thousand words.

Thanks again for the feedback guys... I look forward to your comments as I progress with this project.

Roy

/ 2 acres, a house, 700 stumps, and a pile of dirt #7  
I had a similar plan. I bought a very used backhoe to dig a pond, figured to sell it when the pond was done.
I finished the pond in 1994, still have the backhoe. He's family now.
Wm

/ 2 acres, a house, 700 stumps, and a pile of dirt #8  
I live where there is a lot of logging and I know how rough the land is when they are done.

As someone else said, at least a 30 HP, preferably larger if you are in any hurry at all. Even with a 30 HP your 4 week estimate is probably low. Moving dirt with a tractor takes a long time. If you are in a hurry you would be better off renting a bulldozer.

You need to remember that when you fill the holes the dirt will settle over time and you will have low spots again. A bulldozer is heavy enough to compact the dirt as it goes, a tractor is not that heavy.

A lot depends on which is more important, getting it done quickly or getting it done most economically. Bigger tractor=faster work.

If you are in a hurry you can hire a bulldozer to do the rough leveling and then finish off with a tractor.

Unless you are going to dig a pond or a lot of ditches I don't see a need for a backhoe. Backhoes are great but I am doing similar work and I can't justify the expense of a backhoe.

Whatever you buy stick with brands that sell well in your area. There lots of great tractor brands but if no one else wants a particular brand you will get hurt on resale.

Bill Tolle

/ 2 acres, a house, 700 stumps, and a pile of dirt #9  
Unclroy, welcome to the forum and congratulations on that new house. Personally I think that for less than a weeks worth of dozer work, under $2500 here, you could have the entire rough grade done, drive rerouted, barn pad and garage site built. A good dozer operator can do miracles with the right size equipment. You may still want a tractor for the finish grading but it would not have to be near as big and could be something you want to keep.

MarkV

/ 2 acres, a house, 700 stumps, and a pile of dirt #10  
Don't forget that if you are going to sell after you do your project, you should choose as big a tractor as you can, but not so big it makes resale hard. Technically, if you resell at or near the cost, a big tractor is no more expensive than a small tractor. I think your JD4500 is a good choice. Is it hydrostatic? With the type of work you described, a hydrostatic transmission would be a real plus.

Have you planned out all your drainage and landscaping? When my house was built, the excavator got mad at me because I wouldn't let him haul off the dirt. Too bad. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I kept the soil and built a terrace to control drainage. I'll never regret that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have you thought about all the implements you will also need? I'd guess a boxblade, subsoiler/middlebuster, pallet forks for the loader. You may be able to rent a tiller and post-hole digger if you need those. You don't want to get a lot of implements and have those turn into an "albatross" hanging around your neck. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm also looking forward to seeing your pictures. A two-acre project isn't huge, but it will still be plenty of work. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif