Wet Trail Fix

/ Wet Trail Fix #1  

MarkV

Tractor
1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39
I have a trail through the woods on our place that the wife likes to walk and visitors like to drive the ATV on. There is one small area (100’) that stays to wet where the stream and run off feeds the pond. I am thinking of cutting trees in 6 or 8’ lengths to lay perpendicular across the trail and covering them with dirt to dry up a trail bed. I’ve heard that old logging roads were done this way through low areas. I know the trees will eventually rot but this is just a walking and ATVing trail so I am not sure it matters. There isn’t anyway to get a truck into this part of the property so gravel isn’t an option.

Anyone tried something like this before? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

MarkV

/ Wet Trail Fix #2  
Is it feasible to get a small backhoe or trencher to the area and tile it?

/ Wet Trail Fix #3  
I have heard the same thing Mark. I was going to try it this fall but it got to moist to get to the real wet spots. Mine was going to be used to get the tractor through. Either that or develop the springs.

My only question would be for a walking trail, wouldnt it be tough on the feet? If you filled in the cracks, that would most likely defeat the purpose. You could use bigger logs, then fill over top, and put a pipe in the middle to let the water through. Kind of like a causeway. Or ditch the whole thing on the high side and pipe it at the trail.

/ Wet Trail Fix #4  
My place was logged many years ago. I don't know how long, but the stumps of the pines have rotted to the point they crumble when hit.

The roads are all lined with branches from the hardwood trees. Not pines. I was told this is a standard practice of the loggers. They lay out the branches to stop from getting stuck in the mud. As they drive over them, they leave dirt on the top, which creates the road.

I didn't know the branches were under the dirt until I did some trenching and found them. From what I've uncovered, there isn't any sign of rot, and the roads seem to be holding up really well.

For your situation, I'd do the same thing and build it up with dirt and get some grass growing on it.

/ Wet Trail Fix #5  
i dont know if this would help in your situation but:

i have a wet area at my place and i use wood chips to make my little path thru the wet zone. i have a chipper but i also get a couple loads delivered free from a local tree guy who is more than happy to have a place to dump wood chips.

he leaves 'em up by the driveway and i pick them up in the bucket and spread.

maybe this is an idea for ya.

/ Wet Trail Fix #6  
I had a pretty good gully running down my sloped hill that goes 100' down to the land along the creek. I found out in Louisiana that you need 1" rock (min size) to stop erosion. Ordered a truck load and carted it down there in my Gravely cart.

Now, my trails through the woods a a few other places need some reinforcement, and I need to build a little culvert bridge across a tiny stream for my new JD. I plan to either use the Gravely cart plus the FEL on the JD to haul rock down to those areas or buy a carryall (cart would be easier to unconnect and reconnect each time, but I need to put stabilizers on front and rear of it to keep it upright between hitchups).

The Gravely cart carries about a half yard of stuff, as does the bucket. That's actually probably stretching it for the tractor. Probably will only put a 1/4 yard in front and another 1/4 yard in back. Still be about 1,000 #. Dang Gravely tractor would lug that cart full of rock down the trails to the gully, but I'll be using the JD this time.

I'd think you could do the same thing. Just stick some heavy wall PVC pipe in that low area perpendicular to the water drainage (did this very thing in a low spot on my trails); put the rocks over it. This is how I'll be building my little culvert bridge, too (got a 4x4 topped by 1 bys now for the Gravely to cross it; won't do for the JD, as it's about 1,200 # more than the Gravely).

Ralph

/ Wet Trail Fix #7  
Mark, you might also consider turnpiking, where you build up the trail tread between logs running along the outside edges of the path. Be sure to provide drainage so the trail does not dam up the water source. US Forest Service details can be seen here:
http://www.fs.fed.us/.ftproot/pub/acad/dev/trails/913_1.pdf and http://www.fs.fed.us/.ftproot/pub/acad/dev/trails/913_2.pdf .

I "rolled a burrito" using geotextile fabric on a short, wet section of one of our trails; a little photo essay how to do it is here: http://www.nemba.org/yabbse/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=5522 . The fabric keeps the stronger material (rock or gravel) that supports the treadway from sinking into the existing soft, wet soils.

/ Wet Trail Fix #8  
Markv When we ditch across a feild for a farmer wanting to dry up a field with out tiles we take and bury 2 trees side by side to make the bottom of the round sides of the trees act like a biodegradable drain tile. You can take 2 10 inch diameter trees to make the culverts for your crossings and they will last as long as you have some moisture on them. We backfill our with dirt and the farmer has a now drained field. Dad in the old das would take a backhoe to do a septic tank if the folks didnt have alot of money hed let them cut trees like this and line the ditch for the field lines. Now nearly 40 year later im digging out their septic tanks as the old metal has rusted away and finding perfectly preserved pine trees and working drain fields. Yours may not last alondg time because it may not befully submergered. but could be a temporary fix.