Ash tree for burning

/ Ash tree for burning #1  

scott_in_ny

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota BX-22.......couple of sears riding mowers that the neighbors were throwing away at one time or another.
i have several large and i mean large Ash trees that have some disease and will need to be removed in the coming year.

my house is 1912 and these are probably 100 years old.they are well over 80 feet. i have been quoted some prices for felling the trees but to truck the wood out is a fortune.

i can burn and split some for friends but i have about 8 trees like this.i do not have the room for all this wood.

any ideas besides asking everyone in town if they need some wood?

how is ash to burn solely, as your only wood?

is there any demand for this wood from a commercial type business that could use it?

i dont want to pay to have this removed from the property if i dont have to.

thanks
scott

/ Ash tree for burning #2  
Just put an ad in the local paper. I'm quite sure that you will be able to sell the wood easily. Some folks might like to cut them for you for the wood. Personally, I would take care of them myself, this way you don't have any liabilitys, and stack them in 1cord stacks for drying, and sell them. most folks have a pickup or trailer. If they need delivery, just add it in. I'm sure you can find a price by looking in the ads for what to charge for it.

/ Ash tree for burning #3  
Ash is very similiar to oak in heat production and hardness.

You mentioned that your trees are diseased. All of the ash trees in Northwest Ohio, Michigan and the surrounding areas are dying from the Emerald Ash Borer. If your trees have the classical "D"-shaped holes
MDA_EAB_06_Dshapedhole_109292_7.jpg
of the Emerald Ash Borer, I'm sure your state's DNR would be very interested.

/ Ash tree for burning #4  
Do not let unlicenced/ insured people cut down diseased trees - they like to break apart & fall on the people or other stuff, and that is very, very hard on your homeowners insurance company..... I know with elm around here, there are some little-enforced rules on what you can do with diseased wood, might wish to consider any implications of that where you are.

Once on the ground, ash is the by far the best wood for firewood. Bar none. It will burn wet or dry in a stove, and produces very little creosote with high btu output.

Best firewood you can get.

--->Paul

/ Ash tree for burning #5  
Scott,

If the trees are large and straight and don't have disease issues you might be able to sell the wood. This is market dependent. Check you agriculture extension agent or call the state forrestry department. They should be able to help you.

For a small number of trees you might get a portable saw mill to come get the trees or mill them on stie. I think Wood Miser keeps a list of sawmill owners that you can contact for your area.

If there is a wood related club or group in your area maybe they would be interested in the trees.

Otherwise burn it one way or another. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Good Luck,
Dan

/ Ash tree for burning
good idea on calling the forestry or saw mill type guys.
i still have loads of wood from the other trees i have cut down.

i only burn wood in the fireplace.and not too often anymore.

when i put an addition on (if ever) i will have a place for a wood stove ,hopefully.

/ Ash tree for burning #7  
In parts of Michigan and Ohio there is a quarantine on moving any wood from trees that have been infected by the Emerald Ash Borer. Make sure there is not one in affect in your area also. The fines can be high if caught.

/ Ash tree for burning #8  
We had a lot of 100 foot 12 to 20 inch ash in our river bottoms in Kentucky. It was an excellent burning wood. It would sell for $140 a cord cut and split here in Wisconsin.. JohnJ

/ Ash tree for burning #9  
Cut it up and sell it for firewood. You should be able to get $100.00 a cord picked up. Or around $150.00 split and delivered. I burn ash almost exclusively.

/ Ash tree for burning #10  
The best thing about ash as a firewood is that it is usually a pleasure to split, and the split pieces are straight and stack like a dream.

Also ash makes very nice lumber for woodworking projects. It can look a lot like oak. I have about a dozen 2" ash boards that I am going to plane down and use as stair treads in my house. If you have a local sawmill they will probably buy the logs, at least they do in northern Michigan.

Tom