Creating a Lake

/ Creating a Lake #21  
Ken, Darren is right. It's a bit different down here in the Midwestern states. I had the NRCS come out to my place just a few weeks ago. They said I could build a dam/lake anywhere I wanted, no permits needed. I asked if they would help engineer it, but they indicated that the private engineering companies are upset that they provide these "free" services and so aren't doing it anymore unless its for a very large structure - over 160 acres of water shed, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

/ Creating a Lake #22  
Oh, and several areas of my place could be considered "wetlands", especially at this time of year. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Creating a Lake #23  
Eddie, I saw the photo’s from the Texas gathering and forgot that both you and Fishman were there. Sounds like you have done your research and I am sure John has some great sources of information you can tap if needed. Wish I could come down to help for a while. Sounds like lots of dozer time which is one of my favorite fantasies. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Keep us updated with photos.

MarkV

/ Creating a Lake #24  
Thanks for the picture's Eddie. You have to be one of the happiest people on the planet. Lots of nice land, plenty of toys, nice looking girlfriend and man's best friend...a dog. What else would a man need? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Looks like a good sized project you have going. In a few years you will have some good fishing there. Keep up the good work!

Curt

/ Creating a Lake #25  
Here is a simple, non powered pump, you can build to pump out of the creek. It is called a Ram Pump and they have been in use for quite some time. The site has instructions on how to build and a parts list.
Thanks for sharing, a lot of work but it sure is fun building your own. I built an over four acre pond/lake and now have some big catfish and bass. I feel a fish fry coming on as soon as the weather warms up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Ram Pump

/ Creating a Lake
Dozernut,

Thanks for the link for the Ram Pump.

I've never heard of these before. It's almost too good to be true. I've been reading the link and printing out everything they have, but so far I'm still completely lost.

It's a great site, and thank goodness it has pictures and diagrams.

Do you have one?

Did you build it yourself?

How well does it work?

Thanks again,
Eddie

/ Creating a Lake #27  
No, I don't have one. I knew of them and looked into building one for my pond, but my creek is in a deep ravine and a ram pump would have to pump and push water over 50 foot in elevation ( which it won't do). You might have to partially dam the creek to create volume and pressure to get a ram to work if you don't have enough flow. Sorry I can't give you some experience and practical advice. Looks like you might have the ideal situation to use one, good luck!

/ Creating a Lake #28  
I builtt one for watering my orchard from my pond. It uses 9' fall (or depth) to pump about 40' uphill to trees. The water doesn't actually fall on mine. The 2" drive pipe is off a special 8" X 8" X2" tee on bottom of the riser, so the spring fed pond doesn't have to overflow (dry summers) to supply pump. I'm converting to solar this summer due to the water wasted with hyd ram. Quite a noisy contraption also. Good luck with pond, they can be tricky sometimes.

/ Creating a Lake #29  
Hey Eddie,
Good work. I do love floppng around in the mud with machinery.
About the compacting of the dam - I think you're right about the wheeled stuff taking care of it. When I built mine ( which has only a foot or two of dam, mostly dug just out) I made one mistake. The second winter, when it was too wet to dig, I went ahead and built the wood and concrete parts of the spillway. Then when I piled up the fill for the dam the section close to both sides of the spillway didn't get any driving back and forth on it. Sure enough that's the part where I'm having an ongoing leak problem. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I should have finished the dam, then gone back and dug out for the spillway. Oh well, next time I'll know.
Wm /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Creating a Lake
The first job I had after the Marine Corps was driving a water truck. I'd go to jobsites and keep the dust down, jet the pipes and add water to dirt for compaction.

It was explained to me that you always get compaction first, then go back later and put in what you have to.

The spillway is my biggest mystery right now. I've read too much information on them and I'm have brain overlaod. There's just so many options that I'm having trouble deciding on the one I like the best.