Mix rate for TSC 2-4-D

/ Mix rate for TSC 2-4-D #1  

tomnky

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
Does anyone know what the mix is on the 2-4-d that Tractor Supply sells (pasture spray)?

I need to know this so I can decide which TeeJet Nozzle to use.

/ Mix rate for TSC 2-4-D #2  
it will be on the label.

/ Mix rate for TSC 2-4-D
I should have added I don't have a label handy and won't be at TSC in time to do this as I am supposed to make an order tomorrow.( trying to meet a Mid-March Delivery)

/ Mix rate for TSC 2-4-D #4  
Tom,

TSC in my area carries Gordons.

Check the Amine 2, 4-D FAQ for the "Readers Digest condensed version" of the application rates.

/ Mix rate for TSC 2-4-D #5  
The nozzles should depend on how many gallons per acre you want to use. The label will give you ounces per acre and you will want to know how many gallons per acre you want to spray. The minimum I have had success with is 10 gallons per acre. I know some labels allow for 5 gallons per acre. I prefer 20 gallons per acre and a light rate of active ingredients per gallon. It seems to give me the best kill rate. I would suggest getting the nozzles which give you the best rate. Twenty gallon tips at 20 psi would be good in my book.

/ Mix rate for TSC 2-4-D
I called TSC this morning and the Guy read the mix rate to me at 1oz to 4 gallon of water to cover 1,000 square ft.

At that rate You are looking at 180 gallons of mix.

Weed-B-Gon says 2 gallon per 1,000 sq. ft.

This seems like an awful lot of water to me.

I looked at Gordons webpage and will be ok there using 2-4-d, but after calling Ortho they confirm that would be the mix.

Seems like an awful lot , not to mention it would take using that.

/ Mix rate for TSC 2-4-D #7  
By law there is only one way to mix any chemical and that is by the label on the container in which it comes.
Check the label for the type of foliage you are trying to kill off. It will tell you the rate per acre. find out how much water you are putting down per sq foot and mix accordingly. The amount of water you use depends on nozzles and the speed at which you are able to lay down the chemical. By hand it is tough to get a constant spray. As you might expect you would use more water for mix for a tractor than you would for an airplane.

/ Mix rate for TSC 2-4-D #8  
One thing I didn't see mentioned is sticker-spreader. It really helps the chemical do it's job. One cheap one is nonionic dish soap. Joy is what I use. It causes the water to lose surface tension and puts a sceen on the plant instead of beading, enabling better chemical contact with the plant.

/ Mix rate for TSC 2-4-D
Yep one could really have a bubble fest at 90 psi /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Mix rate for TSC 2-4-D #10  
He gave you the lawn rate. On each container you will have a rate for lawns for homeowners and a rate for large area application. It will list ounces pe acre or maybe quarts per acre. Your sprayer and how you set it up will determine how much chemical you use. Nozzle, ground speed, pressure all determine how much you use. I have a 60 gallon sprayer. I like to spray at 20 psi and travel at 4 miles per hour. I put down 20 gallons per acre and mix my chemicals according to the rate chart. I purchase it in five gallon containers and with the rate I use the five gallons covers about 20 acres. I hope this helps some. Spraying and setting up your sprayer need to be done well. I will look through my books to find a good description on how to calibrate your sprayer. You need to be precise. Too much Chemical does not give you a better kill, it just contaminates the enviroment more.