Moving an oak tree using a FEL? Tap root?

/ Moving an oak tree using a FEL? Tap root? #11  
I had a 9" trunk caliber oak tree moved last year. After calling all of the landscaping companies, they pretty well all agreed that I needed at least a 96" tree spade to do the job. There was only one company within 50 miles of me that had a tree spade that large. It cost me $450 to have the tree moved, but it lived and seems to be doing well. I'm told that you need a root ball approx. 10" in diameter for every 1" in the trunk thickness.

/ Moving an oak tree using a FEL? Tap root? #12  
I moved a 5 inch red oak this fall with my backhoe and loader. The tree was about 30 feet tall and was growing on ledge about 18 inches down. I dug about 9foot diameter around it with my hoe until it way loose, then I spun around, got the loader under it and could not get it to tip towards my rops. I chucked a rope up over a branch around the trunk and winched it to the rops. Then I dove the whole set up on the trailer and went four miles to my friend's house where I dug a hole and planted it. You will not get the tree out with the loader alone, and the subsequent load may not be liftable by your machine. It you want the tree, 300 sounds like a bargain.

/ Moving an oak tree using a FEL? Tap root? #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The oak trees have a central tap root which has to be cut as long as you can make it. )</font>
I've yet to see a tap root on an oak tree. Pine, yes, Oak no. Unless different oaks have different qualites, they only have surface and feeder roots, no tap. Which type of Oak are you talking about? John

/ Moving an oak tree using a FEL? Tap root? #14  
John,
I am moving about 200 red oak trees this coming Friday. I will attempt to get a picture of one of the tap roots to show. Red and white oaks trees have a strong tap root and one of the biggest problems is not cutting it with the tree spade and trying to pick the tree up. This ussually wrecks the tree and results in great frustration. I have moved many trees on to golf courses at construction time. It does work, but they are a pain.

/ Moving an oak tree using a FEL? Tap root? #15  
Moving that size of Oak is now small task, after you try it yourself the $300 won't seem like much. I raise several varieties of Oaks on my tree farm and tap roots vary from each species. Almost all oaks have taproots when they are young, as the tree matures the tape root will rot off. I typically see the taproots gone when the tree is about 2" diameter. This why most nurseries carry two general sizes of Oaks, small saplings and large B&B transplants. Anyway, moving any tree that size is risky for both you and the tree. With a proper size root ball it can weigh several thousand pounds which can damage a loader, tractor, arms, or legs.

/ Moving an oak tree using a FEL? Tap root?
This is a red oak tree Im wanting to move. I measured it this evening - 26 ft tall and about 18 ft diameter dripline. I do have time to decide what to do with it, I guess. I have been told to move it before it buds out, which will be in a couple of weeks. I was also told that moving a "big" tree runs around $300. I just guessed on its size when I discussed it originally. My estimates were probably way, way off...

When the tree dude finds out how big it really is, I doubt he has the interest or equipment in moving it.

So, right now, my options look like a chainsaw and a stump cutter.

My tractor is probably too small to do anything with this tree - based on comments from you posters....

Thanks for all the comments.
dwight

/ Moving an oak tree using a FEL? Tap root? #17  
If your gonna cut it out see if you can find a landscaper / nursery to buy it. Worth a shot. I was trying to find the information on a tree that the San Diego Zoo moved. Something like 100 tons 80' tall and like 80' wide. It was a Ficus and pretty amazing to see. It took like two weeks to move a couple hundred feet and droped down 25'. It was an amazing sight.
Steven

/ Moving an oak tree using a FEL? Tap root? #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Red and white oaks trees have a strong tap root and one of the biggest problems is not cutting it with the tree spade and trying to pick the tree up. )</font>
Well I'm sure glad I don't have any of those around here. Not having a tap root, these Oaks are really much easier to remove than the Pines I've had to dig up. Those taps are often six feet deeper than my 6.5' backhoe will dig!
All of my Oaks have only surface roots that grow out at least equal to the canopy. I have one now that should come out because if a hurricane gets it, the root structure is going to tear the rear of my house out! Thanks for the reply. John

/ Moving an oak tree using a FEL? Tap root? #19  
If you don’t care about the stump just use the chainsaw. If you’re building where the tree is or just don’t want the stump it’s easier and cheaper to remove the whole tree unless you own a stump grinder.

I’ve taken out about 25 trees, mostly oak, ranging in size up to 28” in diameter with my little B21. Smaller trees can easily be pushed over with the FEL or pulled down with a chain. The higher the push/pulling point the better. Bigger trees require digging around the base in order to cut the main roots. I start digging where the BH can cut through the roots.

Once the tree is down I cut it up for firewood. If it’s a large tree, I scratch down the root ball first using the BH. This is easier to do with the trunk still attached. Scratching the root ball off reduces its weight so it’s easier to manage with the tractor. Most of them still weigh more than the tractor but I flip’em or drag’em down to my holler for disposal – see attachment.

Be careful… I’m better dropping a tree where I want using the chainsaw. When pushing/pulling them over they can easily go +/- 45d from the intended direction.

Attachments

• 610570-DCP_0842(50).JPG
    610570-DCP_0842(50).JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 307
   / Moving an oak tree using a FEL? Tap root? #20  
If I had an Oak that size I wanted to keep and could get it done for $300 I would certainly pay it.

Call and get a price on what a replacement tree would cost. I'l bet they would charge you $800+ for a tree that size.

BTW, if anyone is wondering what kind of a tree they have there is an interesting guide at "What Tree Is That?"

Rather than just pictures of trees you go through a series of questions about the leaves, shape, size, number, etc. Pretty neat site.

Bill Tolle