Which is less expensive, steel shed or wood shed?

/ Which is less expensive, steel shed or wood shed? #11  
Appearance "is not a factor at all" for him /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Not sure why this would be the case for a person's home living space, but to each his own.

/ Which is less expensive, steel shed or wood shed? #12  
Hello
I had a 30x 54 steel building built about two years ago and the price built was about the same as the price for just the materials for the same size in wood. I am very happy with my choice. I also finished off a room on my own and it was no problem. I did have to frame out the walls(for the room) as others have stated...but it was kind of nice doing it while it rained /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The weather did not slow me down because a roof was over my head. By the way have you ever been inside a metal building while it rains? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif a sprinkle is LOUD /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Dan

/ Which is less expensive, steel shed or wood shed? #13  
As was stated before If you are not going to do any of the work yourself You have the option to have several contractors bid the job many different ways. you asked which is less expensive, all options must be looked at up front costs of construction, down the road maintinaince heating and cooling. You call it a shed but state you will live in it and be an office until your home is built. How long will you live in it and what will be its use in 6 months or 6 years from now? That said I am building a steel building us steel brand a quanset style building all my self nothing farmed out lots of work!!!
30 x 40 for about $8000. Have you looked into ICF's insulated concrete forms? Not the cheapest way but another way. My employer sells polysteel brand and I have helped build a house I like them. What about SIP's structural insulated panels, helped a friend build his house out of those allso nice.
OH long winded, I am a DIY'er I choose steel it was cheaper.
Not better not easyer. OH I dont think my shop looks like a have buried sewer pipe.

Gary <><

/ Which is less expensive, steel shed or wood shed? #14  
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Quit a discription of them there quonset huts /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Which is less expensive, steel shed or wood shed? #15  
Have you considered shipping containers? You can get a 40 ft x 8 ft wide unit for 1200-1500. Three of them side by side will give your dimensions.

I think I have heard of people welding them togather and cutting out the walls but don't know how well it would work...

Just a thought.

/ Which is less expensive, steel shed or wood shed? #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Appearance "is not a factor at all" for him /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Not sure why this would be the case for a person's home living space, but to each his own. )</font>

Jim, Having built the most ornate structures for the most wealthy people on this globe over many years, I can tell you looks don't much matter to me either. It's all relative. I'm doing all the ornate millwork in an $18M home in DC right now that probably makes all our housing look like garbage in the relative sense. I've seen so much of this it's really just the function that matters to me. I'm glad to feed these fools egos, but the property either does or doesn't work. If appearance is your thing then it won't "work" if it ain't cute. There is nothing wrong with that. Just like there's nothing wrong with the posters question on cost. Yeah, he can build a georgous shed/garage as temporary quarters, but if it adds two years to the launch on the house construction it wont "work" for him.

Thought I'd throw this out cause we are all guilty of caring excessively about appearance. In the end it's probably not very important.

/ Which is less expensive, steel shed or wood shed? #17  
Maybe it's not the cost but what is learned behind " The Wood Shed " /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon

/ Which is less expensive, steel shed or wood shed? #18  
/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Pretty near I'd say. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Which is less expensive, steel shed or wood shed? #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( By the way have you ever been inside a metal building while it rains? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif a sprinkle is LOUD /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Dan)</font>

For sure! A drizzle sounds like it's sprinkling, a sprinkle sounds like rain and heavy rain tells you it's time to take a break! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif