Which is less expensive, steel shed or wood shed?

/ Which is less expensive, steel shed or wood shed? #1  

rlee6

Silver Member
Tractor
Allmand 8435 HST (TYM T330 HST)
I need a storage shed about 25x40. I have no sweat equity and have to rely on contractors for both concrete pad and building. A good friend of mine said wood building would be less expensive. But another friend who had a steel shed (quanset) was less expensive. He added that his next shed would be steel. Finding the prices of steel buildings was easy but I have little info on stick frame shed. Thank you in advance for your help.

/ Which is less expensive, steel shed or wood shed? #2  
With the price of steel having gone up so much and wood as well I really can't say. I think a lot of it will depend on what you plan to do with the structure after complete. By that I mean we you hoping to insulate and cool and heat the building. Wiring, shelving etc... all would be different and have different cost associated with them.

Does the appearance factor play into this i.e. how close to the house and does the wife or better known on this board CFO have an idea...

/ Which is less expensive, steel shed or wood shed?
Appearance is not a factor at all. I was guessing that stick frame shed would be the least expensive simply because houses are built that way.

The shed will be my office/liviing quarters until a house is built. And I have read many posts here that wood shed is cooler in the summer. So my preference is wood. But I don't have any cost figure. Thanks for the reply.

/ Which is less expensive, steel shed or wood shed? #4  
I'm having a 24 by 32 garage built now. I had it bid 2 ways, talked to several builders. In my case I had to meet several design & construction codes/covenants so my pricing will not be relevant to yours, but the general conversations with the contractors is that pole frame construction is cheaper than stick built construction. Steel siding is cheaper than cedar siding but I don't know about other wood siding pricing as mine was qouted with brick & cedar. Frameless construction is even cheaper, that would be a quonsit type building so if absolute lowest price is the issue, that might be the way to go?

If the permits get pulled soon, we'll be breaking ground within a few weeks.

/ Which is less expensive, steel shed or wood shed? #5  
When I read your thread title, I automatically thought of an open-sided structure because that's what I always perceived a "shed" to be. Whatever, it sounds as though you're going to contract the whole job so it should be fairly simple to get quotes from contractors.
If you're capable of doing some or all of it yourself, go with the materials that you're most familiar with. When I built my shop buildings in the past I built wood framed walls, built my trusses from 2X4 w/plywood gussets, and galvalume roofing. I did the dirt work, dug footings, placed steel reinforcement, etc. but hired someone to finish the slab.

/ Which is less expensive, steel shed or wood shed? #6  
My question to you is.....What would you rather have grace your property? Why is appearance "not a factor at all"? This is your home property...correct, not a commercial site? If they are somewhat close in price, then I'd say base your decision on what looks better. Not to knock steel buildings (sheds), but I've seen plenty with lots of rust and not looking so hot 15 years post build. -Just a thought.

OK, now I see that this is going to be your living area while your house is being built. When I think of shed I think of a little shed, maybe 8x12 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I still think appearance is a major factor, especially since this will be a new house, you have total control of what the final outcome will be. You are in a unique position to design a house and garage (shed) that complement each other....But what do I know.

/ Which is less expensive, steel shed or wood shed? #7  
quonset types of buildings have a lot of wasted space and headbanging happening in them. I have one.
Ben

/ Which is less expensive, steel shed or wood shed? #8  
I've just begun to price out a 40x60 workshop. I've no numbers to share at this time, but can not help comment on the quonset hut option. While I understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I'm here to tell you that quonset huts are buttfuginugly.
Oh yeah, that's just what I want, sliding barn doors that require a frame larger than the face of the structure. At their very best they look like a hunk of buried sewer pipe that's worked it's way back to the surface. Needless to say...not for me.
But what the heck...half the readers of this thread may be perfectly happy wearing plaid and stripes. My worst offense lately (per the Boss) has been a tie dyed tee with camo pants...I don't see the problem, the tee was red, white, and blue; it's was the 4th of July; and the camo pants were clean...perfectly acceptable.
Cheers, edski

/ Which is less expensive, steel shed or wood shed? #9  
Construction prices are an ever changing thing recently. Both wood and steel prices are at record highs and vary regionally so it is hard to make a general statement as to what is the cheapest.

When you mentioned using the building as living/office quarters for time then stick framing a wood building jumped higher on the list in my mind. Not the cheapest to build but when you consider the finish work to make it living quarters I think it has the best advantages. You are in Florida so with the heat you will want to insulate and drywall at least part of the building for HVAC. With a pole building or a metal building you generally have to do additional non structural framing to create finished living space. The stick framed building already has the basic framing needed in its structure.

My first step would be to check out your local code restrictions. Some areas get picky when you add a bathroom and living space to a barn type structure.

MarkV

/ Which is less expensive, steel shed or wood shed? #10  
It all boils down to looks for me. I've not seen a steel building of anykind that had the appeal of a wood structure. I have a barn that has a steel roof ans sides, but the rest is all finished wood and it looks great.

The wife would never let me put a steel building on my property right now. It would have to match the house color plan and look like a nice out building. Ok with me.