Keeping a Pole Barn dry enough for tools

/ Keeping a Pole Barn dry enough for tools #1  

tomrscott

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 790
Okay, those of you in Arizona and Southern California may not appreciate the problem here. I know that it caught me by surprise when I moved to Oregon from Southern California. Your climate is so dry that a tight roof is generally enough to keep moisture away. This is Oregon, where it rains frequently, on a sometimes-foggy hilltop, where things stay green year round with no irrigation.

Summary:
I am looking for wisdom about keeping a pole building dry enough that tools won't rust so easily. Wondering about the three variables, tight roof (obviously necessary), insulation to maintain temperature stability, possibly needing a heat source either to "cook out the humidity" once in awhile or does it need a constant low level of heat?

Background about my building:
I have a 1600 square foot pole building, concrete floor, 6x6 treated posts, massive joist headers, 2x10 or 2x12 rafters, a large loft over 1/3 of it, corrugated steel roof and walls. The first eight feet of the walls have some plywood on the inside, but I don't know if there is any insulation between that and the steel. Above the plywood, the walls are bare. The roof was covered poorly; it has 3/4" thick tar/felt panels laid down on the joists, and the steel was originally nailed with washer-head ring-shank nails. We are also on a hilltop where it gets VERY windy. The structure is 27 years old and basically sound, but the roof needs to be re-built

We bought the place in the summer and didn't realize till a bad rain how much it leaked. The owner wasn't honest about it. I specifically asked and he denied that it was a problem. Initially, the primary problem was that the vibration of the roof steel in the wind would caused the nails to backout a bit, making the roof looser, this in turn caused the holes around the nails to get widened. Then rain would run down the nails and soak into the felt panels. They would get soggy and heavy and limp, and come loose. Where they came loose, the roof steel was even looser and the holes would get bigger. In short, I need to re-roof the workshop. It is interesting to note that when he built the dirt floor barn a few years later, he used plywood over the joists to support the steel. The concrete floor also has a six foot deep, four and a half foot wide, twenty foot long grease pit in it with a good drain pipe to a french drain pit in the pasture.

For a temporary fix, when we had no money to fix it right, I went up on the roof with a screw gun and a caulking gun. I caulked every leaking nail head, and paired it up with a washer head roofing screw. That has stopped all but one pesky leak that we discovered this winter. It is a very tiny drip on a walkway that isn't doing too much harm other than raising the humidity inside slightly.

My Long range plan for the roof, maybe this summer, is to strip the roof down to the rafters, put plywood, felt, and then steel (either re-using the original, or preferably using new steel if the budget allows).

Getting back to my opening summary, I wonder about the role of insulation and heating at keeping rust problems under control. Right now, even with the leaking almost completely fixed, maybe a few tablespoons a day in one place, the rest seems dry, tablesaw tops and drill press tops all seem to develop at least thin coat of rust pretty quickly. I have tried to keep things oiled with various combinations of WD-40, 30W mixed with some paint thinner to thin it, silicone spray, etc. But it seems like the humidity level is just too high, and there aren't enough hours in the day to oil every tool even once a month.

I have an old large Schraeder wood stove that isn't terribly efficient, but it will make a huge fire and get real hot. I could install it in one side of the workshop and cook the air dry once a month or so. We use a wood stove in the house as our primary heat, so we always have lots of firewood around. I do not have gas or oil. The only other choice would be electric. I could get a couple of those electric powered oil radiator heaters and keep a low level of background heat all the time with those.

I am assuming that temperature excursions, warm followed by cold tends to cause humidity to condense out of the air onto surfaces, and that insulation alone may help quite a lot by keeping the temperature more stable; whatever level of humidity the air is at, the moisture will have less tendency to condense out of the air if the air stays about the same temperature. We are also high enough here that we get a lot of fog, so the outside air almost drips sometimes, it is so moist (not talking about rain, it does that too). The outside temperatures high/low can be as much as 100/70 deg F in summer, normally 65/35, and occasionally into the mid twenties for a couple weeks in winter. We get about 30 inches of rain a year on average, and 150 days of rain, but many of those are very light misty drizzles on an otherwise sunny day. This year we're having near drought conditions, and the farmers (and snow skiers) all want more rain.

I also need to re-weather strip the rolling door, and the man-door. Probably need a porch roof over the man-door too cause it gets a lot of run-off from the roof so it doesn't always have moisture around the sill.

If I heavily insulated the walls and roof, there would be some ground heat that would tend to keep the building fairly warm even without a special heat source. Still, insulation is not cheap and this is going to be tough to budget at best. What is the cheapest adequate approach that you would recomend for insulation in our climate. Should I lean toward energy costs to heat the building, with moderately good insulation to keep that cost as low as I can, or heavily insulate and occasionally cook a hot wood stove to dry the air out?

Any other opinions, thoughts, suggestions, factors I haven't considered?

Thanks very much for your assistance with an aggravating problem!

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Keeping a Pole Barn dry enough for tools #2  
As you say one way to solve the entire problem is to "seal" the exterior from leaks, install adequate insulation and door seals, then climate control the whole structure much like a residence. That's what I did to my 40x60. In the end it cost almost as much as my home to build AND costs more to heat!!

My partner opted for a different approach. He constructed an interior room (actually had a pre-fab shed delivered!) and climate controlled that portion of the overall structure. If you have the space it is an option. He stores his tools in the "room" on mobile bases. He either uses them there or rolls them out on to the main floor if he needs additional working space.

/ Keeping a Pole Barn dry enough for tools #3  
hhw said what I was thinking. There is no economical way to keep a building that size free from humidity in your climate. We average 55" of rain a year in East Texas (77" in 2004) so I can feel for you.

My garage is 28X32 and I put 6" insulation between the roof joists to help control the gash-awful Texas heat (it really helps with the heat). I keep it about 60 to 65 degrees in the winter but the humidity is still high. Heat will not really remove humidity unless you keep it awfully hot. An A/C unit will do a much better job because it will remove humidity from the air.

The other problem is it would be very difficult to seal the doors, especially roll up doors.

In the summer I have a gable vent fan that is thermostatically controlled to circulate the air and it helps pull some of the humidity out. I leave a window open and a 32" door open all Summer to keep it cooler and to circulate air.

I get the rust coating on table saw tops, etc. That type of metal is really hard to reustproof since it is raw steel. I use was on some stuff like that. Oil will get on the wood you are working with. The wax will too, but is less likely to soak into the grain of the wood. Paraffin is handy too, and make the work surface slicker.

If the rust is really bad, a small room with an A/C unit and lots of weatherstripping would be the best bet.

Just remembered, welders use old refrigerators (not operating) to store their welding rods in sometimes since they have a tight seal and are insulated. A dead refrigerator is basically a big airtight storage chest.

East Texas still beats Galveston, Texas, an island just off the texas coast. 10 years there and even the inside of the metal housing on the washer and dryer in the laundry room were rusted. I just left them with the house since I didn't think they would survive the move anyway.

Bill Tolle

/ Keeping a Pole Barn dry enough for tools #4  
Bill is pretty close to me, and he gave you some really good advice. I would only add one suggestion. If you don't want to run the heater and AC or a humidifyer, then vent the ridge really good and keep the air circulating with a fan. It wont eliminate the humidity, but it will speed up the drying aspect.

As for the rust on my table saw, I ignore it until I start a project with nice wood, then I sand it off with some real fine sandpaper and wash it off with windex. otherwise, I usually only use it for ripping plywood or rough lumber.

/ Keeping a Pole Barn dry enough for tools #5  
It's pretty much a losing battle unless you are willing to spend lot and lots and lots of money. For the most part I don't think that's very cost effective.

I've used a siliconized gun cleaning cloth to wipe hand tools before putting them up. On bigger stuff I use Boeshield rust preventative every now and again. On the table saw table and planer/jointer table, I clean then with fine sandpaper or wire wool and spray them with the Boeshild. It helps but it's not a permanent answer. Basically I do what Eddie does, clean them before I use them and wipe or spray them before I put them up if they're not going to be used for a while and don't worry too much about it.

Heating the inside of a metal building during winter, without it being very well insulated and having good air circulation, can actually make condensation and humidity worse. Apart from repairing or replacing the roof, which your going to do anyway, I can't think of a simple easy fix. Sorry, maybe someone else will have a better answer.

/ Keeping a Pole Barn dry enough for tools
It sounds like one difference between my situation and Texas (and probably the whole midwest, south central, and east), we don't really have any summer humidity to speak of. Summer is the one time that things do dry out. We still get frequent enough rains that everything stays green but the air is cool and dry enough that we don't have the rust problems. I think the worst time is (like today) when a tree fifty feet away is a grey ghost that is barely visible against the sky. With no rain at all, you can work outside for an hour and get wet.

In that situation, I doubt if an open window or gable vent are going to help. I think that probably causes more trouble.

I am leaning toward sealing it up as well as I can, insulating it with fiberglass batting, and putting a wood stove in for an occasional baking, maybe running a couple electric oil radiator heaters too.

It would be very difficult to seal the building completely, but I'm sure I can improve it. The question is whether air circulation is always desirable or not? I am thinking that when we've got foggy damp air, I'd rather keep it out entirely.

The building-in-a-building idea is interesting, but right now my shop is too full of stuff to be able to pull that off as a practical matter. When we moved Dad in with us, he was supposed to go through and mark things he didn't want to move that the movers could ignore and we'd get rid of later. Well, you can guess how well that worked. He filled an entire moving van with household goods, and they had to strap six feet of tarp covered stuff to the back of the van besides! The movers moved dirty rags, and gallon bottles of tap water he was saving for an earthquake, and old furniture that was falling apart. I went from having a spacious workshop and barn to where I've barely got aisles to walk through with all his 87 years of collecting stuff. I have managed to thin it a tiny bit, but even though he can barely get around, he can't bear to let anything go. While he is still with us, I'm stuck with making do with too much clutter. Boy are we going to have a yard sale one day though!

Another weather experience we have may be instructive. Behind the pole-barn workshop, we've got a dirt floor barn, a bit smaller, with two horse stalls that have 4'x8' stall doors that open into a covered run (like a large patio cover) and the pasture. The stall doors are left open so the horses can go in and out when they want to. The first year we stored hay in the back of that building, on the opposite side that the stall doors are on, we lost over half the hay to getting mouldy. We had to run plastic sheeting under, behind, over the top and down the front of the hay bale stack. Almost like a zip-lock baggie. When we need hay, we uncover the front and take a bale at a time out and keep that covered loosely till it's used up. Since we started covering this way, the hay stays fresh and dry all year, we can even use it the next year if we get too much. I think this cool damp air is best kept out.

Not sure what to do about the corrugated metal gaps. I don't think most of them are properly sealed. I did use some spray foam around the south side of the workshop at the roof line where wasps were getting in and building nests.

So, in summary: Seal it up as tight as practical, insulate it as well as I can afford, and bake it out once and awhile with the wood stove?

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Keeping a Pole Barn dry enough for tools #7  
I have 50x64 pole building, 12' to the truss. The building was insulated while being built but not very well, its' aprox R7. While building our house we started putting everything in the shop. Had everything we owned in there for a couple months. The humidty was going thru the roof 80-85% until I set a dehumidifier in there and a box fan to blow things around. That got it under control ~55%.

For heat in it the winter I built a double barrel wood stove, this keeps it dried out 45-50%. Two 60" industrial ceiling fans were installed to circulate the air and blow the heat back down.

/ Keeping a Pole Barn dry enough for tools #8  
You can't compare Texas to Oregon for humidity. I live in Maryland and that doesn't compare either but it's a little closer at certain times of year. First thing you should do is kill the chimney effect of any building, metal or otherwise, that is drafting outside air in via it's geometry and roof or eave venting. That will be the single fastest and perhaps cheapest thing you can do to mitigate the problem you are having.

Let me explain: Any valuted or gabled roof structure that is open to the working floorspace below (no hard ceiling) turns the entire building into a plenum (chimney) of sorts. So if your roof has gable or ridge vents, air is exhausted out of them on most daytime (outside heating) conditions. That is generally a good thing in nearly all climates but limiting it to the attic area is the trick. Again, if you have no hard ceiling, the intake or make-up air for the chimney, which would usually be sourced at the eaves on a hard ceiling situtation, often draws hardest from the lowest available unrestircted source. So when the sun comes up, and does hit the roof, you are getting convection flow from around the lowest cracks in the building first and then the eaves will supplement for draft feed as needed. I could go on at length on how the reverse of this can occur with damp, heavy air working a building after dark that is still warm from the day's heating. Bottom line is (convection or reverse convection) either condition creates a rather substantial air mix throughout the building, particularily during periods of temperature differential interior to exterior. This is where you need to put the brakes on.

Insulating the exterior walls will help as it reduces interior temperature swings. Insulating the ceiling will help for the same reason. Both are a must if you intend to heat. Heating (temperature) increases the abiliity of air to carry mositure so as we all know 80% humidity at 40 degrees is substantially reduced at 70 degrees. So, no doubt insulating and heating together will make a big difference and ocassional heating will help some if the building is tight and the outside humidity has a hard time re-introducing after the heating has stopped.

So my take is you fix the roof leaks first. Second, Install a hard ceiling that is fully air stopped to the attic. Third, seal all the under ceiling perimeter penetrations to the best of your ability (sliding barn doors are near impossible). Consider insulation as option 4 and heat as option 5. Personally, I'd insulate the walls if the budget allows and finish sheathing from 8' to the underside of the hard ceiling, then I'd insulate the attic last. Some won't agree with that but attic heat is low on your problem list and ceiling insulation/heating would be the last options anyhow. It's really simple in that you want to stop the air infiltration through the lower usable structure first. That's where the humidity lingers.

Naturally, you want to maintain venting/ convection in the now isolated attic to keep summer heating under control. If you have no gable or ridge venting I'd add some but don't go as crazy over the intake (eave) side solution as some could suggest. There are situtations in some climates like yours where a super free flowing attic creates additional issues. You want sensible convection and air movement in your attic, not another chimney.

HTH,

/ Keeping a Pole Barn dry enough for tools #9  
This site has a mound of building info - specifically for controlling moisture. Lots of stuff to dig thru but it is useful.

http://www.buildingscience.com/

And this is from This Old House - protecting tools from rust.

"The best way to remove minor rust is to scrub with a Scotchbrite pad and mineral spirits. Then wipe off the residue and apply a lubricant to the top, including the miter-gauge slots, and the side of the saw’s rip fence. I use SLIPIT Tool Lube (www.slipit.com) on my saw, but various other paste waxes will also work. Don’t use automotive waxes, which contain silicones. If silicone gets on wood, it will cause problems when you apply the finish."

-Norm

/ Keeping a Pole Barn dry enough for tools #10  
OK - one more thing - the cement floor. If it does not have a plastic vapor barrier under the slab everything else you do will be in vain.
Test to see how much moisture is coming up from the floor.
Take a 4'x4' piece of plastic or large garbage bag and place it flat on the floor put a bale of hay or other object on top to weigh it down. Come back tomorrow lift up the plastic and see if the cement and plastic are saturated wet. If so then the entire slab will have to be covered with a vapor barrier. Paint or other sealants will NOT stick to a concrete floor that does not have a vapor barrier underneath it.